Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3
eink is flawed under the sun

I just discovered a technology flaw I think, but I don't have a different reader to test: under bright sun, the page is not displayed properly

Half of the screen was covered, and half exposed to the sun. The difference is notable.

It doesn't seem to cause side effects, a refresh without sun exposure works fine, but I don't feel comfortable using it too much under the sun, and the contrast is poor.

It is after all one of the key selling points, it should be "great under the sun".

Can anyone test this on other readers?

Cheers.

PS: I hope this isn't a duplicate thread on the subject, I only did a quick search and couldn't find one.

Last edited by goaspy; 05-22-2010 at 02:58 PM.
goaspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Not only is it faded its also some foreign language!
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
This is a known defect with some screens. You should have your device exchanged. My device does not do this (I've tested it quite a bit).
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
This is a known defect with some screens. You should have your device exchanged. My device does not do this (I've tested it quite a bit).
What? The foreign language????

Sorry, I couldn't stand to make that joke
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I hear a lot of bad stuff about taking the ready outside. Scares me...think I will stay indoors with mine.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaspy View Post
PS: I hope this isn't a duplicate thread on the subject, I only did a quick search and couldn't find one.
Eink isn't flawed your reader is, contact Sony to get it replaced.

This topic has been reported often here. PRS-600 Screen Washed Out is one of the bigger threads on the topic.

I also find it hard to search within this forum. I usually go to Google and format my search accordingly.

site:mobileread.com fade eink

Prefixing your search with site:mobileread.com will limit the search to MobileRead and usually provides me better results for these forums.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
My Sony has this problem, but replacing it would be too much trouble because it was bought in the UK and I'm in the south of France. There's an easy fix, though. When I'm reading in direct sunlight, I simply shade the screen with the flap of my flip-top cover. It makes the device no less comfortable to hold single-handed and does the trick just fine. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I live in Hawaiʻi, and I read quite often out in the sun. It reads great in the sun, one of my favorite places to read, actually. I agree- itʻs a flaw known to some readers, not to eink in general.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I live in Hawaiʻi, and I read quite often out in the sun. It reads great in the sun, one of my favorite places to read, actually. I agree- itʻs a flaw known to some readers, not to eink in general.
I also have no problem in the sun. The flaw isn't with some readers it is with some defective screens installed in some readers.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3
I have to live with it, I have the reader from ebay, delivered in Romania from UK. I'm in UK for another three weeks but I don't have an invoice, I don't think I can get it replaced by Sony.
It's not that bad though, compared with some extreme cases from the thread mentioned above.
goaspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
So is this really a flaw that Sony will exchange for? I had mine outside today, and the screen faded. I tried the Sony Support Live Chat, and the guy I chatted with said it was normal for eInk displays. I'm kind of disappointed, I was looking forward to using my 600 on the beach this year.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingMaNs View Post
So is this really a flaw that Sony will exchange for? I had mine outside today, and the screen faded. I tried the Sony Support Live Chat, and the guy I chatted with said it was normal for eInk displays. I'm kind of disappointed, I was looking forward to using my 600 on the beach this year.
This is not normal and Sony will exchange the device, read this thread for other stories.

From Sony's site (click on features tab):

Quote:
Paper-like display for easy reading

The Reader Touch Edition™ utilizes E Ink® Vizplex™ screen technology to deliver an amazing, paper-like display that’s more like ink on paper and fully readable in direct sunlight.
Call Sony or try chat again, if this was normal then they wouldn't be touting the ability for the PRS-600 to be fully readable in direct sunlight.

The chat person needs to be properly trained. If you get the same run around move your complaint up the chain to a supervisor.

My PRS-505 does not fade at all.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Thanks, dwanthny. I'll give it another try today.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
mally
mally began at the beginning.

Device: sony e-reader touch
I have also experianced the same problem. After retreating into the shade, mine took about 10 mins to "reset".
mally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All e-ink screens will fade to some extent or other in full sunlight; the faulty ones are those which fade to illegibility. Personally, I wouldn't have said that the photograph at the top of this thread was a problem case - the screen still appears to be perfectly readable. Obviously, though, that's very much a matter of personal perception and, if the original poster considers it to be a problem, he should certainly contact Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote