Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Question about font sizes on prs-600

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how small the fonts will go on the 600.

Does the size of the fonts change depending on the book? i.e. in one book, will a small font display, say, ~300 words on a page, and then in another book display, say ~500 words. Assuming full page of text and same margins on both books.

I like the fonts to be on the smaller size. Does anyone have any pictures of their 600 with the small font selected. In a perfect world the picture would be of a converted pdb from fictionwise (or such).

I just don't want to be in the situation where the fonts are too big even on the smallest setting. The one 600 I looked at in the store didn't have any books on it. Doh!
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Did you check out the reader in Germany??? (at least it sounds like that)
I tried to get a sales person to let me try some pdfs from SD-Card, and I was told that Sony explicitly prohibited to take the reader out of the display. What a Bulls...
I asked if they could open up a new reader and that I would buy it if it fits my requirements for pdfs, but I was told I had to buy and couldn't even return it if it works (but not to my needs).

Sorry, this wasn't helpfull at all, but I just had to put this somewhere.

But believe me, the small setting is way too small on all pdfs I have. But the 600 at least has 5 different font sizes. Most times I read in Medium or Large.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope not in germany. In Canada. The reader was out on display and I could play around with it, but there were no books on it. The 300 right next to it had some books on it, but as I understand it the fonts are a little different between the 2.

At this point my concern is font size on novels. From what I've seen, it would appear the fonts can go larger than likely anyone would ever use, but could probably stand to go a size or so smaller as well.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

On small you usually get the layout (sorry, I'm only reading in pdf) as is in the file. So if there are margins or big headers, you get them as they would be in the pbook.
So if there's margins around the text, the font gets really small. If you go to the next size, the margins go away and text is increased. I did russify my reader and I can actually get screenshots using the "special" functions the fw-modification has built in. I can just try to upload the different sizes of a txt test file.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Usually small is the perfect size for me. I downloaded The Stand from the Sony store and that font was a little on the small side, but once I got used to it, it was fine.

The size of "small" does depend on the book. If no one has taken a picture by the time I get off work, I can do it once I get home.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
foghat
Evangelist

^ that would be awesome thanks. If not too much trouble maybe a shot of The Stand and one that has a little bigger 'small' font.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Mike_73
Guru

Ok, here is what I could get. I wrote a word document with font sizes 8 - 20. The page setup is letter (allthough that may be a little big. Books usually come in smaller pages).
I've put 1" margins on all sides. This way you can resemble on your pc how the document would look like on your pc screen.

And these are the screenshots from my reader:

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Mike_73; 03-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
foghat
Evangelist

^Thanks a lot. That helps for giving a good indication as to the differences between the 600's different font sizes.

What I am also curious about is how a novel looks on the small and maybe medium font size. As with your pictures, I don't know which of the Test Font Sizes would actually be the equivalent font size to a novel's font size.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
How a specifc book looks depends on how it was made. Some retailers/publishers may use a base font of 12 pt and some may use a font of 14 pt. I could probably take an example of 5 ebooks on my Reader and each ebook will look different on the small font setting.

You can also run into varying examples of different margin sizes. Typically Sony uses large margins on their ePub books. Other vendors may use smaller margins.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
foghat
Evangelist

^ya, I understand that. Like I said in my first post, ideally the sample would be from a fictionwise .pdb file that was converted to epub. Not sure if there is a difference in the way the 600 hands things vs. Stanza on my iphone, but I've never had the font size change from book to book (all books from fictionwise)
Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Well if you convert yourself, in calibre you can set the base font to anything you want.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are three pictures. The first two are of The Stand with the smallest small font, and the third one is an H.P. Lovecraft book which I downloaded from manybooks.net. I feel this version of small is perfect.

It's hard to tell the difference in the pictures. I'm going to post two more following this that don't have a glare from the flash so you can actually see the words.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thestand1.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	849.0 KB
ID:	47890   Click image for larger version

Name:	thestand2.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	819.1 KB
ID:	47891   Click image for larger version

Name:	lovecraft1.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	793.9 KB
ID:	47892  
Old 03-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
banjobama
Busy Read'n

It's easier to tell the difference in these two pictures. The first is The Stand and the second is Lovecraft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thestand3.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	721.4 KB
ID:	47893   Click image for larger version

Name:	lovecraft2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	733.1 KB
ID:	47894  
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The picture of The Stand is very representative of ePubs I've seen recently. My choice of font size varies depending on the lighting and whether my eyes are tired.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #15
foghat
Evangelist

Thanks a lot for those pictures. The Stand looks about perfect to me - perhaps a touch small, but very good. That said, all 3 sizes are appear fine. These make me feel more comfortable about the font size.

omk3, good point about picking the font and size when doing the conversion. do you do this?