Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Consumers Not Convinced they Need Ereader

The writer twitter: @namenick put me onto this:

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...art_aid=111247

Quote:
With the success of Amazon's Kindle reigniting competition in the e-reader market, the question of when the devices might join cell phones and digital cameras as mainstream consumer gadgets is once again raised. Findings from a new NPD Group report suggest it won't be overnight.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We don't need eReader. We need ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
they're using it not refering to the format, but rather just as "electronic reading device"
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We don't need eReader. We need ePub.
Quote:

"Among the 37% who were either "very" or "somewhat" interested in obtaining an e-reader, one of the main factors was the ability to buy and store multiple books, magazines, and newspapers."

For these, you need color, as well as a more robust format than EPUB. Something like PDF, maybe....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm not sure anything in that article defies common sense expectations.

More and more people are seeing these devices, and I suspect a good number of those people have become more hesitant after the experience. I've not met one person in person who took serious interest in ebook readers after seeing my Sony PRS-505 and what it could do. It's a low-end piece of overpriced technology with awful navigation and a mediocre display.

I just finished another book on it and have decided to set it down while I go back to my paperbacks for a few days or weeks to give my eyes something more pleasant to read. I don't hate reading on it, but it certainly is a downgrade in reading experience that I think I'll be glad to get away from for a bit.

All the talk about how epub or other formats can't do a high-end rigid document for typographic reasons is a bit academic anyway...it's a bit futile to expect anything pretty in the first place on ebook reader devices.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Quote:

"Among the 37% who were either "very" or "somewhat" interested in obtaining an e-reader, one of the main factors was the ability to buy and store multiple books, magazines, and newspapers."

For these, you need color, as well as a more robust format than EPUB. Something like PDF, maybe....
I think ePUB can do the job for newspapers easily. they generally do not have a stylistic arrangement of information. Magazines are a little tougher but mostly the specialized pages are advertisements. The articles can be rendered fine and the advertisements can be images, no need to search them, for example.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
they're using it not referring to the format, but rather just as "electronic reading device"
And they are doing it incorrectly since eReader already has a definition.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Quote:

I have to ask: why? Is there something that mentions color is not allowed in ePUB? It's possible to do pretty complex layouts using XHTML and CSS. Just because current reading software/devices are unable to render them properly doesn't mean the ePUB format itself is the problem. Same thing with web browsers. Just check the ACID test using Internet Explorer.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
If you read for hours on end, the e-ink is much easier on the eyes than reading on a computer screen or smartphone. I think once people try one, they will love it...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Most people don't read enough to benefit from a dedicated device. They'll likely find mobile devices sufficient for their uses.

However, it's the heavy readers and students who are most likely to really win with a dedicated device. Capture either of those two markets, and it is irrelevant if the e-reader goes "mainstream."

By the way, I love how the analyst who views women as the "new market" for ebooks apparently missed the whole "Oprah Kindle" thing.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I think that was meant as two separate items, jumbled together. Color can be done in ePub, however, most ereaders do not.

Personally, I see no reason why to say the epub format isn't "robust". The only thing that could be done to improve it is prepagination (you can make hardfast page restrictions, but that isn't quite the same thing).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I have to ask: why? Is there something that mentions color is not allowed in ePUB? It's possible to do pretty complex layouts using XHTML and CSS. Just because current reading software/devices are unable to render them properly doesn't mean the ePUB format itself is the problem. Same thing with web browsers. Just check the ACID test using Internet Explorer.
Certainly true. ePUB can do color and pretty sophisticated layouts. Most any page layout you can see on a web site.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Women and eBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Most people don't read enough to benefit from a dedicated device. They'll likely find mobile devices sufficient for their uses.

However, it's the heavy readers and students who are most likely to really win with a dedicated device. Capture either of those two markets, and it is irrelevant if the e-reader goes "mainstream."

By the way, I love how the analyst who views women as the "new market" for ebooks apparently missed the whole "Oprah Kindle" thing.
That analyst also missed the fact by the IDPF that women buy 55% of all ebooks!

I still say that environmental constraints on printed (bleached paper) books when it is felt in the pocketbook will wake people up to eBook Readers. Fundamentally, in my opinion, there simply is an attitude amongst the masses that my paperback works just fine and that is enough for me. Such as my 1964 GTO with 4.11 posi was good enough for me when gas was under $1 a gallon. Things are changing and the impact of eBook Readers is just beginning!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
The fact is most "consumers" don't.

Most people don't read enough to need one.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And they are doing it incorrectly since eReader already has a definition.
You can pass them a kleenex as they're sobbing over their choice of tradmarks, Jon.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote