Der Tod in Venedig/Death in Venice by Thomas Mann 0 0%
À la recherche du temps perdu/In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust 5 14.71%
Sons and Lovers by David Herbert Richards Lawrence 1 2.94%
Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki 2 5.88%
Die Verwandlung/The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka 1 2.94%
The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Brown 2 5.88%
The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan 4 11.76%
Of Human Bondage by William Somerset Maugham 1 2.94%
The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke by Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis 0 0%
The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain 3 8.82%
Le Feu/Under Fire by Henri Barbusse 0 0%
You Know Me Al by Ring Lardner 2 5.88%
Der Untertan/The Loyal Subject by Heinrich Mann 0 0%
The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington 1 2.94%
Main Street by Sinclair Lewis 1 2.94%
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #16
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Not my nomination, but you have to recognize the achievement of Burroughs. Raymond Chandler recognized the brilliance of his prose. Burroughs himself said he knew nothing about writing prose, so just wrote it. His prose is the opposite of affected. It's simplicity elevates it.

Anyway, that's not my nomination, but...I do like Burroughs. Though his stories are a bit pulpy. I wonder how his prose compares to Robert E. Howard (Conan).
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Night Land.

Hodgson's prose in this book is the opposite of Burroughs, but it is not affected, it is faux 17th century which bothers a lot of people. But it's set a million years in the future long after the Sun died. Yea Gods! This was written before WW1! It covers reincarnation, telepathy, dimensional-gates and the most horrible monsters imaginable.

Seriously, if you like science-fiction and fantasy, and even if you don't, you need to read this (free) book.

Hodgson was killed leading a charge in WW1. Thank God he was so prolific before his early death. He said he saw the Night Land in no man's land between the trenches. His was born poor and drove his way forward through will and talent.

"And I cannot touch her face
And I cannot touch her hair,
And I kneel to empty shadows—
Just memories of her grace;
And her voice sings in the winds
And in the sobs of dawn
And among the flowers at night
And from the brooks at sunrise
And from the sea at sunset,
And I answer with vain callings …"
Advert
Old 05-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The Secret Garden has stood the test of time and while it's nominally a children's story, I recently reread it and found it uplifting and beautiful. It's the story of an miserable orphaned girl uprooted from India to a remote English house and the friends she makes there and the healing power of both human connections and nature. The book captures the joy and power that helping someone else brings to our lives. This is a book I recommend unequivocally to everyone.

Last edited by Synamon; 05-20-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #19
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The Secret Garden has stood the test of time and while it's nominally a children's story, I recently reread it and found it uplifting and beautiful. It's the story of an miserable orphaned girl uprooted from India to a remote English house and the friends she makes there and the healing power of both human connections and nature. The book captures the joy and power that helping someone else brings to our lives. This is a book I recommend unequivocally to everyone.
I tried to like this book, but...I found it slow and uninteresting. I think the ideas are good, but the execution poor. IMO it does not deserve it's reputation.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #20
Rizla
Member Retired

Re: Proust, I'm sorry, but I've yet to read anything French that grabbed me. It all seems such self-indulgent "intellectual" twaddle sans story-line. I suppose it doesn't help that they write in an archaic and dead tense that distances the language from how people really speak and live. I really have tried to enjoy French writing.
Advert
Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Voting is now open for the 1911-1920 selection of books, and will be open for about four weeks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
"It is the story of the voluptuousness of doom" - Thomas Mann

Death in Venice is a novella but packs a lot of heft into those few pages - musings on philosophy, desire, longing, degradation, melancholy, mortality and the intellectual artistic impulse through history. In its dealing with attraction it calls to mind the various ways this has manifested itself in human culture over time, and that people cannot help the mysterious force of attraction within. It's a great, thought-provoking book.

Gustav von Aschenbach is a successful, serious and aging German writer and widower who after suffering from writer's block decides to take a trip to Venice seeking a sort of spiritual fulfilment. In the hotel he is staying at, he happens to encounter a beautiful 14-year-old Polish boy on vacation with family named Tadzio that reminds him of a Greek sculpture and whom he takes an artistic interest in. As Aschenbach ponders philosophy and the difficulty of anyone making truly great art, his interest in Tadzio becomes obsessive and a deadly epidemic begins to spread through the old and decaying city.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Swann and Tarzan make strange bedfellows!

I just now noticed that Ford Madox Ford's name morphed into Ford Maddox Brown, which is no doubt why only one other voted for The Good Soldier!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Swann and Tarzan make strange bedfellows!

I just now noticed that Ford Madox Ford's name morphed into Ford Maddox Brown, which is no doubt why only one other voted for The Good Soldier!

Sorry about the author name.

I've also realised I forgot to vote - now corrected, making Tarzan the outright winner. I'm afraid I definitely favour action and adventure.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #25
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
So at least five of us at MR have read the Proust. That's good news, I guess.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Brown? I thought Ford Madox Fords come in any colour, so long as it's black.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #27
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Oh no! I missed the poll! Voters: 35. This poll is closed
I'd have voted for Proust too as I did a special paper on it at college but never finished reading it.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sorry about the author name.
Totally my fault for not noticing it earlier. I'd still be typing, with all you had to transcribe.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I'd have voted for Proust too as I did a special paper on it at college but never finished reading it.
Well, he never really finished writing it, so that's fair.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #30
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Oops. Forgot about this and ended up not voting at all. I would have voted for Kokoro.