Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #76
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Does anyone know when the 3rd gen is coming out? I can read on my table or my phone with the Kindle and Kobo apps and my Kobo WiFi is ticking merrily along for eInk reading and what I've bought from Kobo still but I'd like an eInk that lights up. Also, I've bought most of my books from Amazon and eInk is just nicer.

So, any date on the 3rd gen? Also, opinions on the Paperwhite in general?
For the past few (or more) years Amazon has announced all of their new Kindle eInk readers in September or October. Some are released then, while others might not get released until November. I really wouldn't count on any new Kindle eInk readers hitting the market until October.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #77
jswinden
Nameless Being

I agree with @JoisieB1 and @sparklemotion. I think Amazon has too many irons in the fire with all their Kindle eInk readers, Kindle Fires, and Kindle apps. As a result, firmware/software updates take forever to materialize and never seem to be that much of an improvement. Many new features are getting added, but most are poorly executed or simply don't interest me. I also agree that the Collections feature has never been good, and seems even worse now.

After reading a while on a Nexus 7.2 and now my iPad mini Retina, I can no longer stand an eInk reader. The eInks are too low resolution and their contrast levels are a generation behind the game. The Paperwhites, and indeed any eInk reader I've ever seen with an added layer on top of the eInk screen, well they simply suck. The light layer greatly degrades the sharpness of the screen. The PW2 is better than the PW1, but it still sucks.The PW 495 will suck too, assuming they still put the light layer on top of the eInk screen. The Kindle no touch and no light is better as far as contrast and sharpness, but it lags a generation behind on resolution. If they can manage to get it up to around 300 dpi then I might get one, but that is not likely to happen for a VERY long time.

I understand that reading in bright areas, especially outside in the sunlight, requires an eInk. But other than that, I have no use for them anymore. And since I rarely read outside, I doubt I will buy another one.
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
After reading a while on a Nexus 7.2 and now my iPad mini Retina, I can no longer stand an eInk reader. The eInks are too low resolution and their contrast levels are a generation behind the game. The Paperwhites, and indeed any eInk reader I've ever seen with an added layer on top of the eInk screen, well they simply suck.
That's very much a matter of personal opinion, Jack. I have an iPad Retina Mini and a PW2, and I read on both. I find them both good to read on, and I certainly don't think that the PW2, as you so colourfully express it, "sucks".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #79
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
People seem to be happy enough with Cloud collections in the latest firmware release. In what way do you still consider them to be a "disaster"?
Overall I've run into problems when I deregistered my paperwhite from my account.. Since this is the only Amazon device I have that supports CC, this is the key device that my collections were linked to. The only other device I had that supported them were my android cell, and that one never fully synced with them because it kept crashing. So when I deregistered the pw, I lost all of my big collections, which means now I have to manually rebuild them again.

This would not be a problem if any of my other devices supported them, or if I had another Amazon device associated with my account. Since it is Amazon's devices that drives the collections, per a CS rep who tried to help me recover my collections. Amazon didn't take into account what happens when you only have one Amazon device on your account and you deregister it.

Other than that, this latest firmware fixes the issues of the previous firmware upgrade. But this problem has caused me such issues I've thought about buying another device just so I could have a second one that would control my collections. But I decided I am not giving Amazon any more of my money. Because of the immersive reading I will keep my current Fire but when I upgrade, I am going back to Samsung tablets. I am still debating if I will ever buy another Amazon eink device. Don't get me wrong, I love my device as far as reading goes, but organizing on it is becoming too tedious.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #80
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'd just bought an iPad mini, I doubt I'd buy another Kindle Ereader unless something happens to either my existing Paperwhite or my Kobo Aura. I will always need an e-ink ereader but I am shying away from Amazon now, the devices and software is far to locked down for me as I don't buy my books from Amazon.
I agree though this will be a major hardship for me since 99.9% of my library is purchased from Amazon.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #81
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I agree though this will be a major hardship for me since 99.9% of my library is purchased from Amazon.
I do find the Kindle iOS app very good. Luckily my books are not from Amazon, I read romance and buy my books mainly from independent publishers and AllRomance so it's not a problem for me.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #82
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
After reading a while on a Nexus 7.2 and now my iPad mini Retina, I can no longer stand an eInk reader. The eInks are too low resolution
I wonder what bigger resolution means to text. Smaller fonts without jaggies? Perhaps. But let's be honest here: why would anyone want to force their eyes on smaller fonts? the point of having a dynamic screen is such as you may adjust fonts to your eyes rather than the contrary

Quote:
and their contrast levels are a generation behind the game. The Paperwhites, and indeed any eInk reader I've ever seen with an added layer on top of the eInk screen, well they simply suck. The light layer greatly degrades the sharpness of the screen
wut?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #83
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
I don't think it really makes sense to compare resolution of e-ink to LCD and other back-light screens. Remember those highly magnified comparison photos from few years back (here's a link on this very site)? You'll notice that is no gap between e-ink capsules but there are between LCD pixels. Even with the high pixel density of today's e-ink screens, they still ultimately have those gaps. E-ink at 165 ppi still mimics paper really well, the letters are just more jagged.

And for that reason I'd rather read text off a Kindle 1 rather than a 300 + ppi LCD screen. And the contrast and clarity of letters is also much better on my PW1 compared to my Kindle 2.

Last edited by Dropout; 03-18-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #84
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
After reading a while on a Nexus 7.2 and now my iPad mini Retina, I can no longer stand an eInk reader. The eInks are too low resolution and their contrast levels are a generation behind the game.
Obviously, you haven't read with the Kobo Aura HD. I prefer it over my Nexus 7.2 by far.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #85
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Obviously, you haven't read with the Kobo Aura HD. I prefer it over my Nexus 7.2 by far.
That's a good shout. I personally don't want the bigger screen of the Aura HD, and prefer the responsiveness of the capacitive touch screen on the PW, but I think for anyone who has issues with the layer of the capacitive touch screen on the PW (and Kobo Aura 6"), then the answer isn't necessarily a tablet, but the Kobo Aura HD.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #86
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Now that I have both, I agree.....there is just something about the Aura HD screen that my eyes love!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #87
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Kindle 3

I've got a PW1 and am quite happy with that, the PW2 is better but I've only had the PW1 since last June/July time so I'd decided to stick with that until we see a PW3.

I just hope Amazon don't change the form factor so the Amazon cover I've got for the PW1 fits the PW3.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #88
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Now that I have both, I agree.....there is just something about the Aura HD screen that my eyes love!
This I would agree with. For pure reading, the Aura HD is the best device that I have read on - so far.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #89
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
I've got a PW1 and am quite happy with that, the PW2 is better but I've only had the PW1 since last June/July time so I'd decided to stick with that until we see a PW3.

I just hope Amazon don't change the form factor so the Amazon cover I've got for the PW1 fits the PW3.
Agreed, however that assumes that amazon makes some significant improvements in the new model. I will most likely do the same thing with regards to the new model three as I did with the model two, I waited until some forum members had purchased the new model and asked for their impressions of the new model when compared to the first generation model that I have. From what I have been able to gather from owners of the model two is that there is not any big improvements over the model one. I made a subjective decision that the improvements were worth $50 to me, now amazon needs to pack $60 worth of improvements into the model three.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #90
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Indeed! The resolution (265 dpi), sharp font rendering and beautifully even front-lighting is absolutely stunning. And then there is the MicroSD slot, customization options such as margins, line spacing, full range of font sizes, sharpness settings, and user-added fonts. Collections/shelves are managed very well too, particularly for books in a series via Calibre.

The Aura HD is what the Paperwhite should have been.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300 ppi, 3rd generation, good, kindle, paperwhite