Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which award winning book shall we read for June 2013?
Memoirs of a Fox Hunting Man by Siegfried Sassoon 9 18.37%
The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson 9 18.37%
The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt 16 32.65%
The Tea Lords by Hella Haasse 14 28.57%
Among Others by Jo Walton 13 26.53%
More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon 6 12.24%
The Giver by Lois Lowry 15 30.61%
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami 11 22.45%
American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis 8 16.33%
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #31
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
School is winding down and summer reading awaits. Looking forward to June and participating...what awesome choices on the list! It will be difficult to choose, for sure, but The Giver has been used in my school, yet I haven't read it yet. Definitely will get one vote from me since it was on my "to read" list anyway.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #32
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I went with Orphan Master's Son. I sounds interesting.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #33
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Well I was hoping for Among Others to tell the truth, I never really read a book that has won the Nebula Award and the Hugo Award (as far as I know) and I'd like to change that someday. On the other hand, The Swerve sounds really interesting, too. The clash of cassicism and modernism is an every day problem. The Renaissance will never come to an end I guess.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #34
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Every half year or so I hear from someone who has influenced the change from the medieval period into the Renaissance. Last month when I was in Uzbekistan I was told that Timur Lenk (Tamarlane) influenced Renaissance.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur
Spoiler:
Timur arguably had the most impact on the Renaissance culture and early modern Europe. Timur's achievements have both fascinated and horrified Europeans from the fifteenth century to the early nineteenth century.
European views of Timur were mixed throughout the fifteenth century with some European countries calling him an ally, while others saw him as a threat to Europe because of his rapid expansion and brutality.
When Timur took down the Ottoman Sultan Bayezid at Ankara, he was often praised and seen as a trusted ally by European rulers such as Charles VI of France and Henry IV of England because they believe he was saving Christianity from the Turkish Empire in the Middle East. Charles VI of France and Henry IV of England also praised Timur because his victory at Ankara allowed Christian merchants to remain in the Middle East and allowed for their safe return back home to both France and England. Timur was also praised because it is believed that he helped restore the right of passage for Christian pilgrims to the Holy Land.
Some European countries viewed Timur as a barbaric enemy who presented a threat to both European culture and the religion of Christianity. Timur's rise to power moved many leaders, such as Henry III of Castille, to send embassies to Samarkand to personally scout out Timur, learn about his people, make alliances with him and to try to convince him to convert to Christianity in order to avoid war.

I am certainly curious what the writer of the Swerve has to say about it all, and I will read the book.
But having said this; there is a fine selection this month and I think Hella Haasse's book ' The Tea Lords' is an outstanding novel, so I'm hoping for that one.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #35
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Well I was hoping for Among Others to tell the truth, I never really read a book that has won the Nebula Award and the Hugo Award (as far as I know) and I'd like to change that someday.
Not even The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin? I can't recommend that one highly enough.

Glad to see that The Swerve is still performing well!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #36
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow! The Giver is making serious ground.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Among Others is a very good book. Well worth voting for. If it loses, it's because those that did not vote for it just don't want to read something very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I see The Giver is creeping up on the list. It's the winner of the Newbery Award. For those who are unfamiliar with this Award, it's a literary award for children's books.

It's only my opinion, but I'd rather read a National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize winner about the Renaissance than curl up with a children's book; no matter how well-written. It's The Swerve for me.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-26-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo tho → who
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Among Others is a very good book. Well worth voting for. If it loses, it's because those that did not vote for it just don't want to read something very good.
Very true. Reading is a form of self-flagellation for us. We look to other outlets for our entertainment and enlightenment.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #40
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I see The Giver is creeping up on the list. It's the winner of the Newbery Award. For those tho are unfamiliar with this Award, it's a literary award for children's books.

It's only my opinion, but I'd rather read a National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize winner about the Renaissance than curl up with a children's book; no matter how well-written. It's The Swerve for me.
My sentiments as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Very true. Reading is a form of self-flagellation for us. We look to other outlets for our entertainment and enlightenment.

In all seriousness it is remarkable how evenly distributed the votes are. I was really hoping for Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World as it is one of the Murakami books that I hae not read, but given the most likely winners at thia I also hope it is The Swerve.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I see The Giver is creeping up on the list. It's the winner of the Newbery Award. For those tho are unfamiliar with this Award, it's a literary award for children's books.

I'd happily read several of the books on this list, including some for which I didn't vote, but unless I'm dipping into an old childhood favorite of my own, I generally limit kidlit to books I plan to discuss with a kid.

I've been intrigued by The Swerve since it was so well-received last year and the beauty of having it chosen, in addition to the pleasure of the discussion, is that it puts it on the front burner.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #42
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

he, he...you're already getting in the mood for The Swerve I notice.
It's quite a coïncidence: I'm watching the episodes from the 2nd season of the Borgias, where self-flagellation was a big thing, especially in the time of Savonarola. I just saw him burned on a stake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girolamo_Savonarola
So, yes, I'm hoping for the Swerve as well (or the Tea Lords, of course).
Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #43
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
A series on the Borgias must be highly entertaining! What a lovely lot they were.

I'm down here, cheering on The Swerve too.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #44
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
... cheering on The Swerve ...
Fifteenthed(?).
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #45
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
A series on the Borgias must be highly entertaining! What a lovely lot they were.

I'm down here, cheering on The Swerve too.

You would love the series, I'm sure. Here is the promovideo, with Jeremy Irons as the Pope. I saw this actor last week in the film Nighttrain to Lisbon; a filmed book of Pascal Mercier. Very nice film.