Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #106
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You're caught in a catch-22 here. You need WiFi enabled for the functionality of Kobo-Grive-Sync, however, as soon as you connect via WiFi, Kobo will detect an upgrade available to your firmware, and download it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #107
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas de Graaff View Post
I just can't seem to prevent my Kobo Glo from updating to 2.6.1 It just automaticly updates after installing 5.2 firmware..

How to prevent updating so I can use kobo-grive-sync?
You can prevent updating by modifying these two files:
Code:
etc/init.d/rcS
usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb
You can (1) remove the whole update blocks, or, (2) replace all occurrences of "KoboRoot.tgz" by another name, e.g. "xKoboRoot.tgz" in these two files.

Last edited by tshering; 07-02-2013 at 03:18 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #108
Thomas de Graaff
Thomas de Graaff began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Nice, I'll try that, and share the result.
Thomas de Graaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #109
Thomas de Graaff

Great, seems to work.

First I prevented the need to register:
http://max.kellermann.name/tricks/kobo.html

Then I used this wiki to create a custom KoboRoot.tgz with the suggested changes.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Touch_Hacking

Google drive sync works fine now. No more updates, and no Kobo account needed.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #110
proteusvacuum
proteusvacuum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi!
For those of you who are having trouble using that gmail to google drive script because it is putting your books in the wrong folder, there is an easy workaround by adding 2 lines to the script that tells it to use the folder ID instead of the name.

Step 1: Open the folder you want the books to be stored in. For me this is called books. From the address bar, copy everything that comes after "folders/"
For example, mine is "0B5iGhZr6jmEtMS01Yjg5Y2VkYy05MTNiLTQxZTAtODM1Yi1j NGZiZjllODhjODQ"

Step 2: Open the send-to-google-drive spreadsheet. Click "tools -> script editor"
Step 3: Add a line under "var gFolder = ..." which says this:
Code:
var folderId = 'YOUR FOLDER ID';
Step 3: change the line which says var folder = DocsList.getFolder()
to:
Code:
 var folder  = DocsList.getFolderById(folderId);
Step 4: Save.
Reinitialize the script, and you should be good!
Of course, now the field in the spreadsheet won't change anything anymore, but it doesn't really matter since you are probably only using this to send things to your kobo!

Good luck!

Farid
proteusvacuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #111
mskuchiki
mskuchiki began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas de Graaff View Post
Great, seems to work.
First I prevented the need to register:
http://max.kellermann.name/tricks/kobo.html
Then I used this wiki to create a custom KoboRoot.tgz with the suggested changes.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Touch_Hacking
Google drive sync works fine now. No more updates, and no Kobo account needed.
I'm trying to do this, is it really necessary to prevent the register part of it?

I tried erasing the update block, and changing "KoboRoot.tgz" to something else as pointed by Thomas but after reboot the kobo conects to the wifi and automatically download the most recent version...

Any Help?? Thanks!!
mskuchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #112
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Hello again! I'm just quickly here to find out...

it seems this lovely tool only works on pre-Aura-home-screen firmware?

Please confirm! Thanks
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #113
Thomas de Graaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskuchiki View Post
I'm trying to do this, is it really necessary to prevent the register part of it?

I tried erasing the update block, and changing "KoboRoot.tgz" to something else as pointed by Thomas but after reboot the kobo conects to the wifi and automatically download the most recent version...

Any Help?? Thanks!!
I guess it's not neded to prevent the register part of it, and about the downloading of the most recent version, if you have made the suggested changes, the downloaded file won't be installed, so the downloading is no problem.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #114
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I'm just trying this out on my touch. The installation instructions don't specify which firmware this works with. Do I need to downgrade to a particular firmware?
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #115
jaj
Enthusiast
jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.jaj put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kobo
Sure would like this to work on 2.8.1 firmware. I don't like to downgrade.
jaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #116
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj View Post
The "traditional" hack to avoid having to deal with the Kobo servers:
[from a post of "tshering"]
Anyway,
in order to initialize the reader without registering you can add a new line to the "user" table of the database. Fill in any fitting values. Depending on your reset firmware version, the number of values varies.
Example for FW 1.9.12:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0");Example for FW 2.5.0:

Code:
INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false")

I think you use the SQLite Database Browser. Right? Open the database file "KoboReader.sqlite". Select "Browse Data" and choose the table "user". Look at line 1 and try to establish whether the values of one of the two examples might fit or whether you have to make some modifications. I guess the second example might be correct for the Mini. Choose Execute SQL, enter the command "INSERT INTO user VALUES ..." and press "Execute query".

As you can see you just replace each of the user value entries with a "0" except the last. You will have a different number of value fields depending on the firmware, just check how many are there before making the change.

I keep a zeroed out copy of KoboReader.sqlite on my PC in case of a corrupted database issue and/or a factory reset.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #117
fil9998
Enthusiast
fil9998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
hi,

I've tried to install it on kobo aura HD firmware 2.8.1, but in readme.txt no link was created.

thanks

Last edited by fil9998; 10-23-2013 at 06:25 AM.
fil9998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #118
spMatti
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
I'm just trying this out on my touch. The installation instructions don't specify which firmware this works with. Do I need to downgrade to a particular firmware?
I added this line to installation instructions: Works with Kobo firmware version 2.5.2.
spMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #119
spMatti
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj View Post
I have Kobo Touch N905B model. Current firmware for N905B is 2.5.2. It was updated to 2.6.1 and I tried to debug/solve the problem, but I didn't get far. Somehow curl (dependency of grive) and grive just exit with error code and nothing else. After factory reset I was back to 2.5.2 and now it works for me.

I don't like to install firmware with direct link.. Maybe someone with 2.8.1 firmware and device could develop a fix to this problem? Build scripts for grive and curl can be found from https://github.com/softapalvelin/kobo-grive.
spMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #120
wernerb
wernerb began at the beginning.

Hey guys, I forked the project to use "wget" and a remote web server as a source to sync from. You can take a look at https://github.com/wernerb/kobo-wget-sync

Tell me what you think, or if anything doesn't work.

I have tested this to work with 2.10.0 firmware on a Kobo Glo, but I don't expect other versions to be a problem.
wernerb is offline   Reply With Quote