Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #91
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
I say take the deal; if it's more expensive well, just suck it up - hopefully this can be offset by other benefits - less handling and storage of pbooks, and so on.
Libraries are not the text equivalent of video rental stores or arcades. They weren't created so that poor people would have access to the new trendy entertainment; they were created as repositories of history and culture. Renting books for 2 years makes that impossible.

Libraries should reject this offer; if Macmillan wants to rent books to multiple users, they can use their own resources to provide that service.

I'm looking forward to more libraries buying ebook readers, loading them up with a dozen books each, and loaning those out instead of dealing with Overdrive.

A library can have 6 readers dedicated to each Kindle account; could get 6 Nooks or Sonys dedicated to other accounts, and just buy ebooks, and could have multiple Kindle (or other) accounts, each with 6 devices. They'd just have to keep track of which books are on which device at a time.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #92
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I'm looking forward to more libraries buying ebook readers, loading them up with a dozen books each, and loaning those out instead of dealing with Overdrive.

A library can have 6 readers dedicated to each Kindle account; could get 6 Nooks or Sonys dedicated to other accounts, and just buy ebooks, and could have multiple Kindle (or other) accounts, each with 6 devices. They'd just have to keep track of which books are on which device at a time.
$50 ebook readers would make that quite affordable and sensible. Clearly doable with public domain titles. (And a lot of smaller publishers and authors would jump at the chance to supply content...if asked.)

But, as much I like this idea, I suspect the terms of service may be a stumbling block for commercial ebooks from the BPHs and mid-size publishers.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #93
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
There are already a few libraries here in Canada that loan out eReaders (Kindle, Kobo, Sony) with a selection of bestsellers and public domain books on them [example]. I'd think the publishers would like the friction created by users having to check out the devices at the library.

The expiry of ebooks is ridiculous. These aren't even new bestsellers that MacMillan are offering, they are backlist and not likely to be checked out often.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Won't work as the Readers are not accessible to the blind.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #95
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Won't work as the Readers are not accessible to the blind.
Depends on the reader and the book settings. Also, many books in standard libraries are not accessible to the blind, nor are they all required to be.

Ebooks are rather more accessible than many print books.
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Depends on the reader and the book settings. Also, many books in standard libraries are not accessible to the blind, nor are they all required to be.

Ebooks are rather more accessible than many print books.
The DOJ won't allow it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189621
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #97
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Libraries are not the text equivalent of video rental stores or arcades. They weren't created so that poor people would have access to the new trendy entertainment; they were created as repositories of history and culture. Renting books for 2 years makes that impossible.
I beg to differ: I would submit that, around here at least, libraries do both.
Recognizing the demand for bestsellers our libraries now stock extra copies of pbooks as Quick Reads - which you can only borrow for a week or 2 and there are heavy fines if you're late. This is where the new money is going. It's a great system and we actually don't mind paying the odd fine, reasoning that it helps to fund acquistions.

And let's face it, like it or not, bestselling writers like John Grisham eventually *do* become the Culture of the times as we know it!

And also, renting is fine with me - I just want to read the book, I don't need to own it. Renting it for 50 cents (indirectly through my local library) is a lot more cost-effective than buying it for $10 to $30, say.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #98
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
I beg to differ: I would submit that, around here at least, libraries do both.
I can see a claim for both; I don't see a good case for "it's fine if libraries just don't have the option to keep books around for the future unless they keep paying--AND the publisher keeps offering that book."

Quote:
Recognizing the demand for bestsellers our libraries now stock extra copies of pbooks as Quick Reads - which you can only borrow for a week or 2 and there are heavy fines if you're late.
And I expect there's a high turnover with those books, as most of the extra copies get sold used after a few months or a couple of years. But the library has the option to keep those books as long as they want; if it continues to be popular with the local readership long after it's dropped off the bestseller list, they don't have to get rid of them.

Quote:
And let's face it, like it or not, bestselling writers like John Grisham eventually *do* become the Culture of the times as we know it!
Not if the library stock has to be purged on a 2-year cycle. "Enduring books" become, not the ones people love and share with their friends and want to reread, but the ones that publishers don't pull from the digital shelves.

I don't mind rental options for books; I mind that the *only* option is rental.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #99
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It occurs to me that what the publishers are trying to do in total with all their copyright and licensing and pricing, renting and library krap etc. is really an attempt to control the entire life-cycle of any 'property' that happens to fall into their hands (or be signed over to them by naive authors). This will eliminate the second hand book market and let them sell the same thing over and over ( in the words of a great man "to infinity and beyond!")
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #100
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
My library has kindles for checkout. They are pre-loaded with some classics and then there is a Kindle for I think 6 genres. They are pre-loaded with 20 to 25 books and obviously the books can be changed out. My library is also getting a color Nook and I forget what that will have on it--children's books? Something that is better with color, but I can't remember at this moment. There is one iPAD for checkout as well, also pre-loaded with some books and apps.

The universities nearby (UT and A&M) have had Kindles for checkout since very early days.

There is no issue with them not being usable by blind people that I know of. We have computers without braille, we have books with and without it, etc.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #101
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There is a lot of experimentation going on at some of the better-funded libraries out there. Some may be a bit odd but most fall within the realm of literacy and information distribution.

http://libraries.pewinternet.org/201...s-in-the-wild/

Quote:
Technology “Petting Zoo”

Digital Media Lab

Technology help

“Redbox”-style library kiosks and outreach services

Mobile Apps and Websites

Customized reading recommendations

Online research assistance

Libraries as incubators and creation spaces

Coordination with schools and literacy efforts

Unique Library Collections