Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #61
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Also for some reason I'm getting "No USB Detected". I think it might be because I installed 1.6.6 as I thought there was a bug with 1.6.7. Any suggestions on how to get by this error?

EDIT:: Fixed! Remember you need get the Windows Drivers installed before you can use the ATK. Now I've got the software all ready; and not really sure on how to begin my recovery. I'm assuming it's a good thing that I can get thus far; and I hope I'll be recovered soon!

I tried the dumping to verify the connection; but since I'm using VirtualBox, I hear the USB dropped sound and then even though I set VirtualBox to always own the USB connection for the Freescale component, and immediately after the USB component goes away, it comes back again. I then get the error message that you'll see attached... ideas? I thought since the OP had accomplished this with VirtualBox; I could too. In any case, I'd love to get this working even if I need to borrow a Windows 7/XP (32 version I guess; from reading the post). I just don't know what I need to do next.

Last edited by arooni; 07-07-2012 at 10:19 PM.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #62
kraqh3d
kraqh3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
That's the same problem I'm facing but I don't think it's got anything to do with VirtualBox. ATK definitely works with VirtualBox as I've tried with two kindles -- a working one, and a bricked one. They both bounce when ATK connects to them to dump. I verified I got a good dump from the working one, but I continually get that same error with the bricked one. The bricked kindles may not be charging correctly, possibly because the battery got run down way too low. I'm trying to charge overnight.
kraqh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #63
arooni
Addict

Damn. I try to charge mine as well; but the amber light just stays on while charging and never changes to green. I'm wondering if it's really possible to recover from a situation like this; or if its better just to ship myself a broken kindle screen and swap the motherboard & such myself.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Damn. I try to charge mine as well; but the amber light just stays on while charging and never changes to green. I'm wondering if it's really possible to recover from a situation like this; or if its better just to ship myself a broken kindle screen and swap the motherboard & such myself.
What is your definition of "never" ?

If the battery management is set on the 100ma curve, then it will take a **minimum** of 20 hours to re-charge a fully discharged K3 battery.

Since it is common for a computer to power down its external USB ports when it "goes to sleep", you are best off using a wall charger.

So plug it in, take a couple days away from the problem, then see if the light is green when you come back.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #65
arooni
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What is your definition of "never" ?

If the battery management is set on the 100ma curve, then it will take a **minimum** of 20 hours to re-charge a fully discharged K3 battery.

Since it is common for a computer to power down its external USB ports when it "goes to sleep", you are best off using a wall charger.

So plug it in, take a couple days away from the problem, then see if the light is green when you come back.
Ok fair enough. I just plugged it in to a USB charger with 5V 0.8A. I'm hoping this guy is still capable of recovery... but I also did arrange to acquire a K3 with a broken screen with and apparently a functional motherboard that charges and attempts to refresh the broken screen. Only problem is; it's in the USA and I'm in Colombia. It'd be a heck of a lot easier to get the Kindle I do have, working again.
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #66
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You did NOT say that you did the IMPORTANT "charge in fastboot mode" step! This is known to work well, and it IS part of the simple debricking process. Leaving it plugged in for several days to a wall charger is NOT guaranteed to give it a full charge (especially if it is stuck in a boot loop, which can cause many "partial charge then reboot" cycles).

As I said MANY times in many posts, you must charge in FASTBOOT mode, which has a smarter charging algorithm and can charge quite fast from the computer USB port while in fastboot mode. You do not need to run the fastboot program -- just leave it charging in fastboot mode.

You can monitor the charging progress with a serial port connection, because while in fastboot mode it periodically displays the battery voltage on the (optional) serial port connection.

You need to use a wall adapter (i.e. "power cube") to get enough charge just to reliably get INTO fastboot mode, which can take several hours.

Remember that bricked kindles can COMPLETELY discharge the battery, which is not particularly healthy for the battery (especially if repeated too many times). It takes several hours just to charge it back to a minumum usable voltage with a wall charger when completely discharged.

I posted it above, and in the debricking threads, and in the select boot threads, and I am pretty sure it is also in silver18's "small debricking guide for noobs". Please stop skipping that IMPORTANT "charge in fastboot mode" step!

Come on now guys... Following the debricking "rules" is not really all that hard, is it?

P.S. Why didn't anybody else giving suggestions here suggest that he do the "charge in fastboot mode" step that is clearly documented (unless my memory is failing me)?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 05:49 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #67
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
P.S. Why didn't anybody else giving suggestions here suggest that he do the "charge in fastboot mode" step that is clearly documented (unless my memory is failing me)?
Kindle 3 does not have fastboot.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #68
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
Kindle 3 does not have fastboot.
Oops. I lost track of which thread I was in. Sorry...
Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #69
kraqh3d
kraqh3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My bricked K3 has been on charging on the AC adapter for a very long time, easily 20 hours in total. I'm going to give it another 12 hours today. But this will be the last attempt for me. I need to send it back to Amazon before they charge me for it. When it's plugged in the amber light comes on, but eventually goes off. I wonder if it's charging when the amber light goes off.
kraqh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #70
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraqh3d View Post
My bricked K3 has been on charging on the AC adapter for a very long time, easily 20 hours in total. I'm going to give it another 12 hours today. But this will be the last attempt for me. I need to send it back to Amazon before they charge me for it. When it's plugged in the amber light comes on, but eventually goes off. I wonder if it's charging when the amber light goes off.
The LED is not very useful in a bricked kindle.

I successfully charged a dead K4 battery by charging it in my other K4 after temporarily swapping batterys, before creating the "simple debricking" method that I used to eventually repair this device.

You may be able to temporarily swap batteries with another K3 to try charging it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #71
WoenK
WoenK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Trekstor5
ok...charged my K3 for over a day on the wall charger...
Left it lying on its own for a day and charged again over the night.
Reading here that the LED does not show when the battery is full is not very encouraging...
First time charging it took qute some time till the LED went off, last night it went on for about 30 minutes and then off again. when I woke up this morning it was off and swithced on again for a few minutes. From that I would have concluded that it is fully charged and recharges when it's under a certain threshold.
Only tried twice to program it under VirtualPC in XP mode (Win7 64 Ultimate as host), only thing changed is that it seems to lose the connection faster.
I had the feeling that when hitting "program" the USB port gets somthing like a reset signal and does not reconnect fast enough to really start the programming. Could be that the host does not hold the connection long enough. Will try to use libusb for that setup, Win7 might be a bit more reliable when knowing a device.
..and try it on the XP machine once I get back from work.

Still...the empty battery as a possible culprit for not beeing able to program the K3 is a bit troubling. Charging it in a working one could help, but not everyone has two of them lying around. I might convince my girl to lend me her working one, but there should be a possibility to check if the battery is fully charged when no second one is at hand. Any one got the readings of a fully charged battery ?
WoenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #72
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If you put your K3 in the "factory diagnostics" mode, you could get those details from the battery management system.
But that isn't possible (that I know of) when the K3 will not run.

Perhaps someone else can do that and report.
I'll save you searching for the "HowTo" -
Put the (empty is ok) filename: ENABLE_DIAGS in your USB storage area, unplug USB cable, re-boot the K3. Wait. No, you didn't break it. Wait some more.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #73
WoenK

Ok...found a link for the battery voltages..
http://www.squidoo.com/kindle-battery

Seems like its full at 4.2V and battery cuts off between 2.7-3.0V. If its under 2.5V it has become unservicable. hmmm...not absoluetely sure, but could be mine was below 2.5V on some of the contacts before using the wall charger...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #74
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
@Hawhill nice to see your progress. Keep it up please.

Others thanks for trying and suggesting. I'll continue following the thread.

I went from Win7-64 ringo to Win7-32 jungo, then to VBox/XP, then from ATK 1.66 to 1.67... alas, like may of you, I never got ATK to connect with my Kindle. I feel a bit foolish since my Kindle is fine and in no need to be recovered... yet. guess I'll wait for a fool proof procedure.

Ah well, this mumbo jumbo at least inspired me to update my profile details

Spoiler:
3's 4 ergent (__)≡=∞ '68
As Ringo said in the 1968 movie
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #75
WoenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
@Hawhill nice to see your progress. Keep it up please.

Others thanks for trying and suggesting. I'll continue following the thread.

I went from Win7-64 ringo to Win7-32 jungo, then to VBox/XP, then from ATK 1.66 to 1.67... alas, like may of you, I never got ATK to connect with my Kindle. I feel a bit foolish since my Kindle is fine and in no need to be recovered... yet. guess I'll wait for a fool proof procedure.

Ah well, this mumbo jumbo at least inspired me to update my profile details

Spoiler:
3's 4 ergent (__)≡=∞ '68
As Ringo said in the 1968 movie
Question would be...did you set your your Kindle into download mode by holding the powerswitch on "ON" until the light wents out, then simultaneously pressing the VOL - and then releasing both buttons? As far as I understood that is the only way to make the tool work .
Should at least work in a Virtual XP, I do not think the ATK drivers are meant for Win7