Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
tjsoundguy
Enthusiast
tjsoundguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire / Touch /Paperwhite
Kindle Touch sorting by collections question

Hi!

Here's a goofy question - on my old Kindle2, when I sorted by collections, the most recently accessed collection would automatically go to the beginning of my list of collections.

On my new Kindle touch, when I sort by collections, it's alphabetical, & less convenient than I'd like.

It's entirely possible that I haven't had enough coffee, but am I missing a step to make sort by collections behave the way it did on my Kindle2?

Thank you in advance - I just found these forums, & they sure look like a wellspring of helpful knowledge!

----TJ
tjsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsoundguy View Post
Hi!

Here's a goofy question - on my old Kindle2, when I sorted by collections, the most recently accessed collection would automatically go to the beginning of my list of collections.

On my new Kindle touch, when I sort by collections, it's alphabetical, & less convenient than I'd like.

It's entirely possible that I haven't had enough coffee, but am I missing a step to make sort by collections behave the way it did on my Kindle2?

Thank you in advance - I just found these forums, & they sure look like a wellspring of helpful knowledge!

----TJ
Nope, I noticed the same thing. On the K3 it would put the collection of your most recently read book on top....K4 Touch doesn't seem to do this. I find it annoying as well.

I tried sorting by most recently read instead and it actually displayed a book on the home page even though its inside a collection. When I went back to sort by collection, the book went back into the collection.

Maybe they will work some of this out in the next software release. There seem to be a lot of small changes people are asking about in the Touch.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Oh, so here's my goofy question.

All of my collections are named like this:

- Grisham, John

Because we used to have a hard time getting Collections to alphabetize and if you put a character out there they'd alphabetize to the top if the Kindle was sorted by Title.

Are you saying that if I renamed them without the "-" they'd alphabetize correctly under sort by Collection?

Grisham, John

Because I'd actually prefer that I think.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Oh, so here's my goofy question.

All of my collections are named like this:

- Grisham, John

Because we used to have a hard time getting Collections to alphabetize and if you put a character out there they'd alphabetize to the top if the Kindle was sorted by Title.

Are you saying that if I renamed them without the "-" they'd alphabetize correctly under sort by Collection?

Grisham, John

Because I'd actually prefer that I think.
Yes, if you took out the dash, the collections will organize themselves in alphabetical order.
I know on the K3 some people used dashes or other characters to force items to the top of the screen.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
I noticed this behavior too. I had all my KDX collections named starting with special characters (like "}TBR") to force them to sort to the top of the list. On my newly arrived KT, it seems to ignore all special characters at beginning of collection name, and sort starting with the first truly alphabetic character in the collection name. On the KT virtual keyboard most of the special characters I was using in my collection names were not even available -- so I tried some that were on the virtual keyboard -- mostly no joy. I did find that prefixing the name with a numeric digit or "+" or "-" would bring the collection name to the front of the list. So at least I can rename my collections and get them to appear on the home page in an order that makes sense to me (if I choose "collections" sort). The old behavior of moving names in the list based on last reference time is truly gone. I can live with that -- as long as I can ensure that my "to be read" and "already read" collections are at the top of the list, I can manage.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert