Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you sell your current iPad and get the iPad2 model?
I don't know or not sure 7 6.80%
Yes, I will 16 15.53%
No, I will not 65 63.11%
I will keep mine and get the new model as well 15 14.56%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Would you change or return your current iPad for the iPad2?

iPad 2 is just a reality now and with same prices!

With faster CPU, cameras, a bit lighter and lot thinner, would you sell your current iPad and get the iPad2?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
And nickeled and dimed to death by accessories that should be built-in. What's with Apple's obsession with dongles?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What's with Apple's obsession with dongles?
tbh I think it's less an obsession with dongles and more an obsession with the dock connector being the only cable connection allowed. I wasn't going to bother upgrading, but having seen the specs I might; I'll wait to see one in the flesh to gauge whether the browsing is significantly faster or not, though; on paper I'm not bothered much about thinner or lighter, and certainly prefer a case to a cover due to the nature of the work I do, but that may change when I get my hands on one.<shrug>

If I do upgrade iPad1 will be handed down through the family, not sold.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I keep the old one, my wife gets the new one because of the camera. It has been the only computer/device that she loves and uses on a regular basis.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
I hoped for a nice camera in it but what they added is FAR from a nice camera. Noticed they glossed over a lot of the specs which makes me wonder if the rumor of a third model later this year could be true.

Anyway, don't see enough to make upgrading from my original iPad worth the cost. I'd say if you don't have one, go ahead and get the 2 (or the cheaper close out stock of the 1s) but if you do you should probably wait for the 3 unless you just have the money to burn. At least that would be my feeling.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
The iPad to the iPad 2 is like the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 3G S... unless you REALLY care about the camera, the speed bump is a simple luxury. I don't regret buying my iPad at all.

Besides, I usually skip a generation when upgrading stuff. I'll get the iPad 3!
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
I hoped for a nice camera in it but what they added is FAR from a nice camera. Noticed they glossed over a lot of the specs which makes me wonder if the rumor of a third model later this year could be true.
It looks like they used the same cameras they put in the iPod touch. Two factors possibly at play: cost and case depth. The iPad 2 is thinner than the iPhone 4 (8.8 mm vs 9.3 mm), so there probably wasn't room to fit the iPhone 4"s thicker camera module.

What's striking to me is a lack of auto-focus. That prevents it from using some cools apps like Google Goggles. I wanted that for my iPod touch 4, but it's missing auto-focus; so Google says - no go.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And nickeled and dimed to death by accessories that should be built-in. What's with Apple's obsession with dongles?
I saw that with the HDMI, and I just had to do a of course Apple did that, of course they did.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I saw that with the HDMI, and I just had to do a of course Apple did that, of course they did.
What? Not everyone wants or needs HDMI out on a tablet (or anything else); why shouldn't the people who want it pay for it - including any of the 15million+ existing iPad 1 users out there??
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I just got the first edition on Saturday! But other than the faster processor, none of the new enhancements are things I need or even want (in the case of the cameras). So I'll be sticking with Gen. 1.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
The iPad to the iPad 2 is like the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 3G S... unless you REALLY care about the camera, the speed bump is a simple luxury. I don't regret buying my iPad at all.
Yah.. What he said. Don't need a camera. I've got an iPhone and a digital camera. And speed bump is a non-issue with me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I just got the first edition on Saturday! But other than the faster processor, none of the new enhancements are things I need or even want (in the case of the cameras). So I'll be sticking with Gen. 1.
Think again ... Even if you want to keep this one, you can return it now and buy same model cheaper today. Just check the the return policy of the store where you bought it.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Well ... I voted "I will sell & re-buy" but it's more of "I would " if somebody offered me enough. Like -- if somebody gave me $499 for my 16G WITH 3G (now selling for $529)
I'd buy the v2 ipad and spring for the 3G myself. But that's unlikely to happen!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I keep the old one, my wife gets the new one because of the camera. It has been the only computer/device that she loves and uses on a regular basis.
That's so sweet of you!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I voted No. I don't need the extras although the double ram would be nice. But for now, my iPad original suits me just fine. Now when the 3rd generation comes out. Wooooh, that maybe another story. If I had my wishes, I would want retina resolution and the 5 megapixel camera. Niether are there. I Pass
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote