Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
PatrickAupperle
PatrickAupperle began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Vibrant (Android)
Kindle vs Nook vs Google Books apps

This may seem to be a topic for the Which One Should I Buy? section, and it might be. If it is, please move it. I placed it here because I only currently care about the apps for android and the programs for the computer. Anyway, on to the topic.

I am thinking about getting into the whole e-reader thing, but I do not know which store to use. I am only going to be reading on my Android Phone, Windows Computer, and, if possible, Linux Computer. I want to know which store would be the best and why. So far, I have been playing with samples from each on my phone and computer. On the phone, I think my favorite by a small margin is the kindle app. On the computer, my favorite (by a larger margin) is the google book store. The google store also has the advantage of being in browser giving me access anywhere with a computer. Also, I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) the google store is the only one I could use on Linux. The disadvantage is that someday I may want to get an ereader and do not want all my money tied up in books that won't sync my page number between all my devices. I really do not like the font they chose on the computer version of the kindle reader, so I am starting to think that it may be down to the nook or Google books. I am sure I could either get used to the font or change it (if I can find the right file, it should not be too hard), so if there is a good reason to go kindle, I would love to hear it. Anyway, what is your take on which one I should invest my money into books on?

Last edited by PatrickAupperle; 01-09-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Corrected an embarrassing spelling error.
PatrickAupperle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickAupperle View Post
This may seem to be a topic for the Which One Should I Buy? section, and it might be. If it is, please move it. I placed it here because I only currently care about the apps for android and the programs for the computer. Anyway, on to the topic.

I am thinking about getting into the whole e-reader thing, but I do not know which store to use. I am only going to be reading on my Android Phone, Windows Computer, and, if possible, Linux Computer. I want to know which store would be the best and why. So far, I have been playing with samples from each on my phone and computer. On the phone, I think my favorite by a small margin is the kindle app. On the computer, my favorite (by a larger margin) is the google book store. The google store also has the advantage of being in browser giving me access anywhere with a computer. Also, I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) the google store is the only one I could use on Linux. The disadvantage is that someday I may want to get an ereader and do not want all my money tied up in books that won't sink my page number between all my devices. I really do not like the font they chose on the computer version of the kindle reader, so I am starting to think that it may be down to the nook or Google books. I am sure I could either get used to the font or change it (if I can find the right file, it should not be too hard), so if there is a good reason to go kindle, I would love to hear it. Anyway, what is your take on which one I should invest my money into books on?
Are you willing to remove drm from your purchases if you are then look at calibre it should work for reading on linux and Windows and should allow to convert ebooks to any format you want for your android device. So you can use any app you like.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
PatrickAupperle

That would lose the ability to sync page number across devices, though right?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
That would lose the ability to sync page number across devices, though right?
As far as I know kindle is the only way you can sync between devices. People have even found ways to sync non kindle bought books. But I don't think kindle is available for linux.

If you use ADE based software to read epub I think you can manually find the same page as it uses some kind of algorithm instead of actual pages that show up on each device.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
PatrickAupperle

I am pretty sure that my google books sync page number when I change devices, but I guess I would have to check. This would push me towards google books. I did notice that their selection seems smaller, though. If google also syncs page number, why would I select kindle over it?
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are no native Linux ebook readers than offer sync capabilities, although Kobo might produce one. So Google is currently your only option under Linux, because it is the only one offering a web-based reading tool.

Amazon never lets a competitor get very far ahead, though, and it has announced Kindle for the Web. This is currently only for selected ebook samples, but as the above link says
Quote:
Coming Soon to Kindle for the Web

* Read the full text of Kindle books in your web browser. No download or installation required.
* Synchronize your library, last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights with Kindle and Kindle-compatible devices including PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, and Android phones.
* Bookstores, authors, retailers, bloggers and other website owners will be able to offer Kindle books from their own sites, let their readers start enjoying the full text of these books instantly, and earn affiliate fees for doing so.
The last point (affiliate fees) is Amazon's primary goal, but reading via the browser does advance the Kindle's reach significantly.

Like Google, this will likely require internet access while reading via "for web".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
PatrickAupperle

How soon can we expect kindle for the web? Will it have the same font as kindle for PC? After playing with font size some, I am starting to come around to it. Maybe kindle is the one after all. I really hope kindle for web comes out soon. Kindle for web will work on linux, right?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Kindle for web will work on linux, right?
There is a working example in the link I provided (Try Kindle for the Web). You can click on the controls to see what they do. I am not impressed by the font, but the full ebook version might be better. The full version was demoed for the Chrome OS in early December (Engadget), but I don't know when it will be released. It presumably depends on the web browser's capabilities, not the underlying O/S, so Linux should be ok.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-09-2011 at 11:54 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
PatrickAupperle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is a working example in the link I provided (Try Kindle for the Web). You can click on the controls to see what they do. I am not impressed by the font, but the full ebook version might be better. The full version was demoed for the Chrome OS in early December (Engadget), but I don't know when it will be released. It presumably depends on the web browser's capabilities, not the underlying O/S, so Linux should be ok.
Thank you for the reassurance. I would have just tried the link, but I am booted into windows for now. I assumed it would work, but you never really know when some company is going to do something odd that prevents it. I'll check out the link for the demo. Any idea when the full version will be available?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
PatrickAupperle

So, this all seems to suggest no advantage for the kindle. Basically I am seeing that they will soon all be equal. Is this a correct assumption? Does no one have anything else to add?