Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
giltbrook
giltbrook began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E65
New Calibre and Samsung E65 User

Hello all, I am in the UK and new to ereaders and associated software and file formats. have recently downloaded Calibre after buying a Samsung E65 e-reader and I noticed that Calibre does not yet recognise this device, so I have followed the FAQ's to get the required info to include this device but I am unsure where to post this information, anyone help please.

For those unfamiliar with the Samsung E65, which might be UK specific at the moment, there are details on the following link. This has recently been heavily discounted from 230 GB pounds in the UK, and is now selling for just under 100 GB pounds, so I would expect the sales to pick up now that it has been priced just under the Kindle, which sells in the UK for 109 GB pounds. I have no connection with Samsung by the way, just providing a bit of background info.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/10/...unches-234454/
giltbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi giltbrook and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread....

Pop into the Calibre Forum - see link on the main forum page....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Giltbrook. Not come across that one yet, but I had a Samsung netbook I use outside in the summer and the hardware's sound. Sounds like your reader is a bargain price for the UK. I paid well over £200 when I bought my Sony 505 from the UK a couple of years ago. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
giltbrook

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I have now found out how to submit the Samsung E65 settings for it to be recognised by Calibre on the Calibre website which is done through the 'Bugs' link on the main page which takes you to this link http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs, but you have to register to submit items . I submitted the settings last night and this morning received an email saying that the settings have been accepted and the Samsung E65 will be included in the next Calibre update, brilliant support by Calibre.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
ABB
ABB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Giltbrook,
I am thinking of buying this as well... any first impressions of the device??? One thing that concerned me from the Which video was the requirement to plug in two USB cable close together to charge this device - as the USB ports on my laptop are not so close... Is there a mains charger with this thing??
ABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
giltbrook

Hello ABB, no mains charger comes with the Samsung E65. It does come with the linked USB cable that you refer to, and I have used it with just one USB cable plugged in, (the main thick one), to transfer data, and it has charged at the same time. I think the Which report was hinting that it had been charged with just one cable. It does state in the instruction book "Whilst charging the device, connect the secondary power connector to prevent damage to the device", but it does not say to connect both whilst transferring data, and as it seems to charge whilst transfering data, then it could be argued that the instructions are vague, but if you have a male to female USB cable, you could comply with the charging instructions by using that.

This is my first device of this type, so I have nothing to compare it with, I was disappointed at first, mainly because of no mention of the micro SD card slot (I thought it did not have one and was going to take it back), but I found it in the battery compartment. The micro SD card, when inserted, shows up as a drive on the PC. The E65 automatically adds folders to this drive named 'Books', and 'Notes' and the Micro SD card is accessed from the 'Home' screen on the device via the 'Music' folder, with extra music files being stored on the root of the SD card and book files being stored in the SD Books folder, which then show up in the main Books menu, but none of this is mentioned in the instructions. Also, there was no Calibre support, but I have now sorted that issue as above.

The print with some pdf files can be either too small, or too large if you magnify, but I think this is more to do with the pdf files themselves than the device. I used Calibre to convert the worst pdf to epub and that came out readable, but patchy with large gaps, so was no better.

For £99.99, (less possible topcashback of £3.03), I am happy with the purchase.

Last edited by giltbrook; 12-16-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Extra info added.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
ABB
ABB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the detailed reply giltbrook - have ordered one as I felt it is a good deal for £99.99 - and I wanted to be able to read borrowed books from the library - will see if it charges properly with one USB port - otherwise back to PC World
ABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Also it is LCD. So some people won't want it at any price based on the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
giltbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also it is LCD. So some people won't want it at any price based on the screen.
It is not LCD, it is e-ink
Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
CloverHillReview
CloverHillReview began at the beginning.

Hi Giltbrook et al,

I was googling about the Samsung E65, as I got one yesterday ((yeyy))...but am finding the pdf conversions to be a real headache (literally). So I'm glad I found this thread, as I'm also new to ereaders.

I've used Mobipocket for a while, both on my pc and mobile, and would love to see that implementable on the E65, as I've not had any problems with sizing with it, and generally it works like a charm with no hassle....I'll be putting a request on Mobipocket shortly, hopefully there's something that can be done.

So far I've had no success registering Adobe wirelessly, so had to resort to using the USB and doing it that way...also haven't managed to sync it yet....it's only just out of the box though.

Look forward to taking part here.
CloverHillReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR!

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
giltbrook

Calibre Version: 0.7.34 has just been released for download and now includes synchronisation with the Samsung E65, I don't know if this will work with the Samsung E60, so perhaps someone with an E60 could check and confirm here if it does. The latest version can be downloaded from the following link:-
http://calibre-ebook.com/download

Last edited by giltbrook; 12-18-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Updated