Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #1
welshgirl1
welshgirl1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Creating collections of downloaded books on paperwhite

Hi. I recently broke the screen on my trusty kindle. Devastated is an understatement. I had arranged over 500 books into different collections...I couldn't wait to get my new paperwhite but I have tried different ways to create collections and have failed. Tried calibre and they didn't go into a collections and I can't get the covers to show either. It's a new paperwhite, 7th generation and it's firmware is 5.8.1 . Any advice would be gratefully accepted as instead of enjoying reading on my new kindle I'm pulling my hair out! I'm even up to jailbreak it as I'm sick of amazon making things difficult but am unsure as haven't seen any guides to this firmware. Thanks in advance
welshgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
amazon author
Cracking Coding Interview
amazon author began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
You should be able to copy all the files to your computer using file manager.
amazon author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
welshgirl1

Hi. Thanks for answering. I've got all the books off the old kindle. It's just trying to organise them on the new one. On my old one I had history, fiction, health... can't figure out how to do it. My old seemed easier to manage than this. Or I'm completely stupid ha!
Old 07-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
This is what I do: I sync my (soon to be) old Kindle and my collections are registered in the cloud. When I put books on my new kindle, I change the collections I want to appear from cloud to downloaded and then I sync the new kindle. In seconds, my books usually are put in their right collections.

What this clear?
septentrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If your books are sideloaded and not part of Amazon's Cloud, then your collections won't sync.

In which case, your only option is to use our thirdparty collections management software.

Go to the Kindle Developer's Corner subforum, and check the jailbreak index, which will point you to our current universal software jailbreak (should be on the first page of threads anyway ).
Then install the Kindle Collections plugin from the calibre plugin index, and follow the directions to manage your collections from calibre. It will require either Collections Manager (Kindlet) or LibrarianSync (KUAL extension) on your jailbroken Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
welshgirl1

Yes. They are sideloaded books. I have a few from amazon but not many. Cheers for that, ive been looking at the jailbreak thread and scared I'm going to brick it. But hey...im not reading much at the mo as I'm getting frustrated by it. Cheers for the advice, gosh they make things so awkward don't they. Thanks again x
Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
A lot of people have successfully jailbroken.

It is a method that is risky in theory, but has been used enough that we are pretty confident in it. Except for the PW3 which sometimes got bricked on a factory image that has since been delisted.
And the handful of problem reports stopped coming.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote