Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3 + Kindle keyboard
Duplicate dictionaries on K3

Hello!

There are three dictionaries on Kindle Keyboard by default:

Oxford Dictionary of English,
New Oxford American Dictionary
and Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch.

The problem is that there are newer versions of them and they can be downloaded from your Amazon account (Kindle Library) but the two English dictionaries cannot be removed from the device. Nor can they be moved to the Archived Items section. Factory reset won't remove them. So can someone suggest a hack method how I can remove them so I won't have two versions of them. Because now I have one newer version from the Kindle Library and another from the device itself which can't be removed at all.

Duden is a bit better because the device allows you to "remove" it but it actually moves the dictionary into the Archived items. I don't know how but before factory reset I was able to completely delete Duden so my Archived Items was empty. But I don't remember how I did it.
ntamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Archived Items == Manage Your Kindle

As far as I know, you should be able to delete dictionaries like any other book in your account. Well, maybe the Kindle won't let you delete the default lookup dictionary?
Regardless, you should be able to delete it from the documents folder.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Archived Items == Manage Your Kindle
When I said "Kindle Library" I meant exactly "Manage Your Kindle". But I didn't know the correct terminology.

Well, I wouldn't declare that so explicitly. I would say that Archived Items is a subset of MYK. There are several (30) dictionaries in the Dictionaries & User Guides section that I can download (they are considered to be free default ones) but haven't downloaded so far, so they are in my MYK but not in Archived Items.
If your statement was true, then each compatible dictionary from my MYK should appear in my Archived Items as well.

Quote:
you should be able to delete dictionaries like any other book in your account.
I don't really know why there is a dictionaries section in MYK, because I bought a DICTIONARY and it appeared among Books. Though it works as any other dictionaries on Kindle.
I can delete bought items from Books of course. But I can't delete items from Dictionaries & User Guides because Amazon doesn't let me do that.

Quote:
Free dictionaries, active rentals and loans cannot be deleted
Quote:
the Kindle won't let you delete the default lookup dictionary?
Exactly. They are there, and noone can delete them or see the book description.

Quote:
you should be able to delete it from the documents folder.
No, you can't do that because it has never appeared in documents folder at all. After factory reset you only have the Kindle user guide on it AND the two dictionaries. Though you can only see and delete the user guide in documents folder.
That's why I thought there's a hidden linux folder somewhere keeping those files hidden. It would be much better if I could replace the old versions with the new ones.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hidden linux folder?
Those aren't very hidden, it is just a Linux UI thing that assumes you don't want to see dotfiles.
There are a couple used with active content, which you will immediately see cluttering the userstore on any Windows computer.

(And, the userstore is fat32, which means no file permissions or immutable bits.)

Nope -- in fact, on my Kindle Touch they are all in [userstore]/documents/dictionaries/ and can be Removed From Device (and archived in the Cloud view) like any other book.
But it stands to reason they must be somewhere in the userstore, because the alternative is that they are embedded in the read-only rootfs. Which would be worryingly stupid.

I don't remember when the last time I checked deleting dictionaries was. Probably a long time ago, back when, I guess, they still allowed you to.
I don't know why Amazon has now decided to stop you from deleting the default documents.

Presumably they still allow you to send the latest version from MYK? Although I don't know who would want an updated User Guide.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #5
ntamas
Zealot

Quote:
Hidden linux folder?
Why are you sniggering? I'm noob yet.

Quote:
they still allow you to send the latest version from MYK?
Yes, you can send it but then you'll have for example two versions of Oxford Dictionary of English and New Oxford American Dictionary.

Quote:
Amazon has now decided to stop you from deleting the default documents.
I don't think they changed anything at all. I guess this has always been the case in regard to Kindle Keyboard.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
The kindle keyboard is older than the touch.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntamas View Post
Why are you sniggering? I'm noob yet.
Just some lighthearted fun.
I did explain how they work.

Quote:
Yes, you can send it but then you'll have for example two versions of Oxford Dictionary of English and New Oxford American Dictionary.

I don't think they changed anything at all. I guess this has always been the case in regard to Kindle Keyboard.
Default documents in MYK which is not device-specific since it applies to all devices.
I know for a fact I was (once upon a time) able to delete all the non-English dictionaries as well as the Kindle User's Guide from MYK, but they stopped allowing it for some strange reason.
But I have always been able to delete them from my Kindle Touch at least.

So perhaps the Keyboard does keep the dictionary in the read-only rootfs. Which is silly, but what can you do?

I am not entirely clear on the dictionary handling of old devices like the Keyboard (which I never owned).
All I can do is hazard guesses. But your facts seem to support my theory.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
ntamas
Zealot

Quote:
which is not device-specific since it applies to all devices.
Well, you are wrong. There are several items that can't be downloaded to Keyboard. When you try to deliver such an item you'll get the following message:

(exclamation mark) You have selected content that is not compatible with any of your registered devices

Quote:
but what can you do?
That's why I came here. I thought there is an alternative way to remove those dictionaries.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Slightly nitpicky?
Okay, then, MYK is the shared repository for all books linked at the account level.
Any specific book may or may not be compatible with a specific device, but MYK still lists them and lets you do account administrivia to it.

Maybe you can search the rootfs for the dictionary, mntroot rw and delete it. If you are jailbroken.
Bottom line -- the book has gotta be somewhere. The only question is, where, and how do you find it?
Old 07-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wish I still had my keyboard.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I wish I still had my keyboard.
Why not get a used one, the price isn't much ?
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Why not get a used one, the price isn't much ?
Because I don't want to pay more than I paid for the first one.
I got the first one for either 5 or 10 and I really don't need it.