Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Eddings on/ off / on again

The 1st Belgariad ominbus (the first 3 books) was briefly available and I bought it. The 2nd volume was never listed. Then the 1st disappeared also. Then the Belagariad and Mallorean series began appearing about 1 every couple months. No sooner they were all listed than they all disappeared. Again. Now the 1st of the Belgariad is back. Temporarily? For good? What is going on with this publisher?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Odd. The publisher is currently listed as Harper Collins (June 13, 2015).

It's a pretty odd situation. I seem to recall that since David Eddings and his wife had no heirs, Eddings assigned the copyrights of his work to some institute (don't remember all the details). It could simply be that there is confusion over which publishing company actually controls those rights.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Simple solution - move to, or shop in, the UK. The Belgariad and Mallorean series have been available as ebooks, continuously, since Feb 2010. The Elenium & Tamuli trilogies were published in 2011.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've googled a little about vpns to be able to buy from the UK but just haven't got around to actually figuring out how to do it. I keep thinking they CAN'T delay much longer. Especially once they began appearing. The second Belgarion book is back now also. If they keep up at this speed I might be able to buy the Elenium sometime in 2017.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
crossi
Guru

Now the first two Belgarion books are gone again! This is getting downright wierd. Is there some one posting unauthorized books (the first time they were appearing over the course of two years so you think someone would have noticed) and then once noticed sending a takedown notice to Amazon, the the unknown poster resending them and having them taken down again in a back and forth fight?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
(I know this is an old thread, but I think the subject is still relevant.)

From what I can see now, neither the Belgariad nor the Malloreon series are available for sale as ebooks anywhere.

But my local public library still has all the ebooks from both series available for loan in its OverDrive collection, published by Transworld (Penguin Random House UK).

It seems like a strange situation, but I guess the library purchased the ebooks back before they were withdrawn from sale and have not yet used up their time or loan quota?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:40 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
(I know this is an old thread, but I think the subject is still relevant.)

From what I can see now, neither the Belgariad nor the Malloreon series are available for sale as ebooks anywhere.

But my local public library still has all the ebooks from both series available for loan in its OverDrive collection, published by Transworld (Penguin Random House UK).

It seems like a strange situation, but I guess the library purchased the ebooks back before they were withdrawn from sale and have not yet used up their time or loan quota?
Weird. A good thing that I bought them while they were available. I seem to recall reading that libraries buy a license to loan the book x number of times (50 was the number used in the article).

Way back when ebooks were first coming out, I thought for sure that once someone made an ebook available, that it would just stay available. I mean, that's really the point of ebooks from a publisher point of view. Since there is minimal storage cost (as opposed to paper books), you just get a steady stream of purchases.

It does seem though that this happens more often when the author is dead. I guess typically the heir is less interested in having the book out there.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:59 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Definitely something odd going on with the publisher. In Kobo Australia both The Belgariad and The Mallorean were available, but the prices varied a lot over time. Since I already have these in paperback, I hung around waiting for specials. I got five of them (four of the first series, one of the second) at good prices before the ebook editions disappeared completely off Kobo, now all you can get is the audiobook.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I thought I'd check my local library system (UK) - I know they used to have several of his/their series omnibuses - and now they seem to have just The Rivan Codex.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
You can find the complete Belgariad series (5 books) and Mallorean series (5 more books) available as audiobooks from my local libraries via Overdrive. But not a single one of them is available as an eBook from those same libraries.

It looks like you can buy them (I didn't check every one of them) on Amazon, but only as paper books, not eBooks.

I can see why a library might stop handling a particular eBook (licensing issues), but I don't understand why a retailer would stop selling an eBook after having previously sold it, unless there are additional licensing terms I am not aware of. But why would the copyright holder want to pull an eBook from sale? Isn't that like shooting yourself in the foot?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote