Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Vox
Question Historic Naval Fiction

Just wondering if there was anyone else here that enjoys reading Historic Naval Fiction like I do?

I enjoyed:
Alexander Kent, C.S.Forester, Dewey Lambdin, Dudley Pope, Julian Stockwin, R.M. Ballantyne.

I'm now reading stories by Harry Collingwood, which are not all navy but a little of Jules Verne type of stories.
Bompa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Some 25 years ago I read The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat, and I remember I liked it very much. It may be worth a re-read, if I found it again (I borrowed it from the library of the English institute where I was learning the language).

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Cruel Sea is a 1951 novel by Nicholas Monsarrat. It follows the lives of a group of Royal Navy sailors fighting the Battle of the Atlantic during World War II. It contains seven chapters, each describing a year during the war.

The novel, based on the author's experience of serving in corvettes in the North Atlantic in World War II, gives a matter-of-fact but moving portrayal of ordinary men learning to fight and survive in a violent, exhausting battle against the elements and a ruthless enemy.

Few books have ever conveyed in such gripping detail the brutal destruction of the Battle of the Atlantic and the endurance of the men who fought it. The novel brought instant fame to its author.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Don't forget about Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series. They are great!
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
::applause:: for Monsarrat.

I was always a bit saddened that he didn't finish his ``Wandering Jew'' like mariner story.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've read Patrick O'Brian and (some) CS Forester. I don't know much about the others.

I've seen the movie of the Cruel Sea.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Some 25 years ago I read The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat, and I remember I liked it very much. It may be worth a re-read, if I found it again (I borrowed it from the library of the English institute where I was learning the language).
One of my favourites. Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't realized it had finally gotten to ebook format. I just snapped it upat amazon.ca at a great price (CDN$ 5.39)
http://www.amazon.ca/The-Cruel-Sea-ebook/dp/B006O5KP8C

It's also available at amazon.com for a comperable price
http://www.amazon.com/The-Cruel-Sea-ebook/dp/B006O5KP8C
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bompa65 View Post
Just wondering if there was anyone else here that enjoys reading Historic Naval Fiction like I do?

I enjoyed:
Alexander Kent, C.S.Forester, Dewey Lambdin, Dudley Pope, Julian Stockwin, R.M. Ballantyne.

I'm now reading stories by Harry Collingwood, which are not all navy but a little of Jules Verne type of stories.
My favourite genre. Have you looked at this website
http://www.historicnavalfiction.com
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Ooh... what a great site to bookmark! Thanks!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
One of my favourites. Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't realized it had finally gotten to ebook format. I just snapped it upat amazon.ca at a great price (CDN$ 5.39)
http://www.amazon.ca/The-Cruel-Sea-ebook/dp/B006O5KP8C

It's also available at amazon.com for a comperable price
http://www.amazon.com/The-Cruel-Sea-ebook/dp/B006O5KP8C
Thanks for the links!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Quote:
I am also a member of the site. It's great
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Bompa65
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
Don't forget about Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series. They are great!
I have read them. Forgot to put him on my list.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
I've read and enjoyed Alexander Kent, Dudley Pope and CS Forester, but I couldn't get on with Patrick O'Brian for some reason and never got further than his second book.

There's also Douglas Reeman who's written a lot of novels set in WWII
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
I've read and enjoyed Alexander Kent, Dudley Pope and CS Forester, but I couldn't get on with Patrick O'Brian for some reason and never got further than his second book.

There's also Douglas Reeman who's written a lot of novels set in WWII
Alexander Kent is a pseudonym of Douglas Reeman's.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
I will admit that Patrick O'Brian is an acquired taste. I did struggle with the first couple of books due to story detail and nomenclature, but by the third book I was just enjoying the ride.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I will admit that Patrick O'Brian is an acquired taste. I did struggle with the first couple of books due to story detail and nomenclature, but by the third book I was just enjoying the ride.
His writing and depth of characters certainly improved as time went on.

An additional author in this genre not mentioned yet that I enjoyed was Richard Woodman and the Nathaniel Drinkwater Series. Glad to see he has started up something new.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote