Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
alcapwn
alcapwn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Kobo Wifi disk image?

Ok I know you guys are going to be mad but... I need a copy of the disk image because I didn't back it up. Being the brilliant guy that I am, I though I could just re-flash with an old firmware using the usb download trick but after I messed up my firmware it doesn't recognize the device. I have opened it since, and if no one has an image i'll tinker but it's a shame to have a bricked thing like that.

Anyways, you may now commence the defamation and libel.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcapwn View Post
Ok I know you guys are going to be mad but... I need a copy of the disk image because I didn't back it up. Being the brilliant guy that I am, I though I could just re-flash with an old firmware using the usb download trick but after I messed up my firmware it doesn't recognize the device. I have opened it since, and if no one has an image i'll tinker but it's a shame to have a bricked thing like that.

Anyways, you may now commence the defamation and libel.
How are you going to load a disk image if the usb isn't working?

Anyway, is it possible to do a factory reset (I believe you use the pinhole in the back in combo with the power button)?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
alcapwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
How are you going to load a disk image if the usb isn't working?
I've opened it up and removed the internal SD card (should have done that initially and backed it up) and have access to it via my laptop. I'm in the process of trying to compile from source. It's a pain without much documentation.

I maybe should have posted in the dev forum, but with a whopping 18 post since the beginning of time I doubted anyone would have read it.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've opened it up and removed the internal SD card (should have done that initially and backed it up) and have access to it via my laptop. I'm in the process of trying to compile from source. It's a pain without much documentation.

I maybe should have posted in the dev forum, but with a whopping 18 post since the beginning of time I doubted anyone would have read it.
I see. So it has an ordinary SD card buried inside that you can remove and plug into a reader? Good to know.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
The dev forum is pretty small, but there are those of us who keep an eye out for new posts there.

I have a disk image I can give you, copied directly from my Wifi's internal SD card.
As soon as it finishes uploading I'll post the link here.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
alcapwn

Man, you are a lifesaver. I've been trying to get an arm crosscompiler to successfully build it myself from the git repo but this will save me a lot of work.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
alcapwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I see. So it has an ordinary SD card buried inside that you can remove and plug into a reader? Good to know.
Take a look. Note the tamper seal on it.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM me and I'll give you the disk image download link.

Last edited by KevinShort; 01-02-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
alcapwn

Downloading now, thanks again! You running stock on your wifi? Any interesting Wifi developments? I pretty much have a dev environment set up and i'd like to contribute. May look into OpenInkpot, see what's going on with that.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
KevinShort
Addict

I'm running almost stock firmware. I've played with changing some of the
Wifi's menu text with a binary editor, but that's it.

I haven't been able to do anything interesting with my Wifi, unfortunately.
I'm really interested in developing custom apps, but I haven't found any way
to drive the Wifi's screen. I'm probably going to grab a Glo when they arrive
here in the US. I had a lot of fun with my Touch until it died.

I've never looked into OpenInkpot very much, but it would be interesting to
have it on the Wifi.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Take a look. Note the tamper seal on it.
Quite a smart way to go I think. Thanks for the photo.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
nevermore
nevermore began at the beginning.

I flashed the recovery image to the internal microSD of my Kobo Wireless. Everything functions except that the device can not pick up any wifi networks. Help?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I flashed the recovery image to the internal microSD of my Kobo Wireless. Everything functions except that the device can not pick up any wifi networks. Help?
I don't know what would cause your Kobo to not pick up any wifi networks.
Did you try re-downloading and flashing the image again?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
nevermore
nevermore began at the beginning.

Will try that. Has Anyone else used this disk image?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know there have been some hardware changes; I wonder if that image is compatible with your touch?
Closed Thread

Tags
n647 firmware requested