Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-16-2023, 02:23 PM   #1
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast
RatherBWriting began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad with Kindle
why is toc.ncx different from toc.xhtml?

I used Sigil 1.4.3 for my book. I finished the last round of changes, mostly punctuation and a word here and there. It validates with no problems. However, I discovered by accident that the links in toc.ncx are not right.

I have checked every single link in the Table of Contents (toc.xhtml), and they are each correctly linked to the chapters.

There is a tiny drop-down menu on the upper left corner of my ipad which is another table of contents (toc.ncx). I carefully checked every single link. Chapters 1-23 are correct. When I click on Chapter 24, it takes me to Chapter 25; click on Chapter 25 and it takes me to Chapter 26, and so on through the 48th chapter.

How do I fix this? I am so close to being done, and don't want to ruin anything!

Thanks very much for your help -
RatherBWriting
RatherBWriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 02:29 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Editing the NCX or HTML does not change the other.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2023, 04:56 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not sure if Sigil 1.4.3 supported this feature but if your epub is an epub3 document, one of the epub3 tools generates the ncx and guide from the navigation document.

OTOH, is there a reason that you have not updated to Sigil 1.9.30?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 05:07 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
If an epub3, just generate the ncx from the nav (assuming the nav is correct) using the epub3 tools menu.

If epub2, use save-as to save your current epub under a new name in case anything breaks. Then try rebuilding the ncx toc (not the html toc) using Sigil's toc generation tools. This should work to fix your ncx as long as you use proper heading tags throughout your xhtml pages.

If you did not use headings properly, then hand editing the ncx code may be your own,y approach.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 03:48 PM   #5
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast
RatherBWriting began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad with Kindle
TOC differs from ncx file

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Editing the NCX or HTML does not change the other.
Thank you for your quick reply! I edited the file - it was very easy - and it is now fixed. I appreciate your expertise!! My book is now in the hands of my readers, released out into the world with two perfect tables of contents.

Many thanks,
RatherBWriting
P.S. And thank you to everyone else who responded! Yes, I certainly will update my Sigil software before the next book!
RatherBWriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
table of contents, toc.ncx