Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Deleting ebooks from iBooks

Could someone tell me please how to delete ebooks from iBooks?

Better still, could someone point me to manual or source for iBooks or iPads that tells me how to find out for myself?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
On the My Books screen that shows your list of books touch Select on the top right screen. Touch the circle that appears in front of each books title that you want to delete. Select Delete (in red) on the top left.

For instructions - Within ibook app select Featured from the bottom menu on the books list page and search for ipad user guide. The one for IOS 11.2 has a chapter on using ibooks.

Last edited by The Old Man; 01-07-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added info
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Could someone tell me please how to delete ebooks from iBooks?

Better still, could someone point me to manual or source for iBooks or iPads that tells me how to find out for myself?
ipad user manuzl for ios 11.2 at

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/ipa...3310093?mt=11#

Note: download from ios or mac os only!
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
On the My Books screen that shows your list of books touch Select on the top right screen. Touch the circle that appears in front of each books title that you want to delete. Select Delete (in red) on the top left.

For instructions - Within ibook app select Featured from the bottom menu on the books list page and search for ipad user guide. The one for IOS 11.2 has a chapter on using ibooks.
Thanks for your help. On my iPad - bought late last year - Delete does not appear in red when I select a book. Move shows in blue, but Delete is in light grey.

Is there something else I should have done?

I was able to find an download the user guide to the iPad.

Last edited by AlexBell; 01-09-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:54 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
ipad user manuzl for ios 11.2 at

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/ipa...3310093?mt=11#

Note: download from ios or mac os only!
Thanks for your response. My computer runs Windows 10, but I was able to download it to my iPad.
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your help. On my iPad - bought late last year - Delete does not appear in red when I select a book. Move shows in blue, but Delete is in light grey.

I have the iPad Pro. Do you have the latest iOS installed?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:

I think I know the "problem" & the "problem" is crapple. I deleted a book from ibook (delete was in red) & the book still shows up BUT there is a pic of a cloud with a download icon (whatever).

When I tried to delete the book again(?), the 'move' is there but the 'delete' is grayed out.

So it looks like the book is 'deleted' but still shows up but with a cloud. The Amazon Fire TV 2 does the same thing as the app icon remains with a cloud to show that it was uninstalled!?! Looks to me that the ipad don't want any data related to an app to be unseen even if 'deleted'; at least the app can be really deleted & not seen to clutter up the screen, maybe.

A really stinky innovation(?).
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both. The iOS was upgraded a few days ago.

And I have exactly the same experience as Crane3. It looks as though when one deletes an ibook it is stored on iCloud whether one wants it stored there or not.

So I suppose I should change my original request to 'How does one delete an ebook from an Apple and from iCloud?'

One of the ebooks has very poor formatting, and another is the iPad user guide for iOS 5.1. I'm never going to read them again, and they are just taking up space on the iPad screen.

Or is it possible to not show the ebooks which are in iCloud?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
. . . Or is it possible to not show the ebooks which are in iCloud?
I'm running iBooks version 4.12 on iPad Mini with iOS 10.3.2, so this might not pertain to your setup:

On iBooks opening screen that shows your library, go to middle of first line where there is a drop down menu. Click the menu to open it. There is an option to "Hide iCloud Books".
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
The Old Man
Fanatic

Books obtained from Apple can not (my understanding) be deleted from the cloud. If you download them they can be deleted from the device.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
I'm running iBooks version 4.12 on iPad Mini with iOS 10.3.2, so this might not pertain to your setup:

On iBooks opening screen that shows your library, go to middle of first line where there is a drop down menu. Click the menu to open it. There is an option to "Hide iCloud Books".
Thanks, that works. But I still want to delete some ebooks. Whether Apple likes it or lumps it it's still my iPad and my ebooks. I don't see why I should be forced to keep ebooks on my iPad or my iCloud that I don't want on my iPad or iCloud.

Last edited by AlexBell; 01-12-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Books obtained from Apple can not (my understanding) be deleted from the cloud. If you download them they can be deleted from the device.
Thanks again for your trouble. But see my response to another user. The situation seems to be that Apple has decided that they run my iPad, not me. I'm not happy with that.

Last edited by AlexBell; 01-10-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
The situation seems to be that Apple has decided that they run my iPad, not me. I'm not happy with that.
Doesn't Amazon work the same way? They have a record of every book you've ever bought or borrowed from them. They know what Kindle Unlimited books you have borrowed and returned. If you borrow a book from an online lending library they have a record of it and it is not deleted when the book is returned. Twitter has a record of every post one has made even if deleted. Facebook probably does the same. That email you sent 10 years ago is floating around in cyberspace somewhere. Welcome to the brave new world.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You can delete books you have purchased from your Amazon account, but you can't delete the purchase record itself. So the book won't show in the ALL view on the device once the servers have synced with the device, but you can see the record of the purchase if you look in the correct place in Your Account.

You can't delete the KU record of books borrowed and returned, nor can you delete old magazines you've purchased. I've seen folks on the Amazon forums get ALL worked up over that.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Thanks, that works. But I still want to delete some ebooks. Whether Apple likes it or lumps it it's still my iPad and my ebooks. I don't see why I should be forced to keep ebooks on my iPad or my iCloud that I don't want on my iPad or iCloud.
I'd suggest hiding icloud books. The books you've acquired from Apple are not stored in your personal icloud space. Like the app store, the books store knows what you already downloaded so you can get it again if you want. Its not taking any of your storage space.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote