Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
Azub
Azub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just got a Paperwhite, but am having trouble transferring my progress from gen 3

I just got a Paperwhite and I previously used a Gen 3 (Keyboard) Kindle to read on. I want to transfer all my books (Done), and, importantly, how far I've read in them and if they're read or unread. Plus ideally collections as well.

From my research I've found out that Kindle gen 3 stored progress in .mbp files, and Paperwhite stores the data in .sdr folder in a .mbp1 file named after the book + what looks to be a hash.

My question is - is there a way to move my progress from my Gen 3 to my Paperwhite? Most of these books are sideloaded (HB and whatnot) from Calibre. Most are .mobi.
Azub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
I don't believe migrating progress would be possible that way. Maybe with send to Kindle but that is it.

Note that newer Kindles support the superior KFX and AZW3 file formats, which provide more formatting options than MOBI
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
As far as I know nothing like this currently exists. You may be able to accomplish it but it will take research and programming.

The 32-character hex value added to the .mbp1 file names appears to be the same for every book. It is possibly something associated with your Amazon account.

There is a program called MBP_Reader that can decode .mbp files. The website for it is here. Unfortunately the download links no longer function and I haven't seen it available anywhere else online. That page does include some cryptic documentation on .mbp.

It is possible to decode a .mbp1 file using KRDS. (See KRDS - A parser for Kindle reader data store files.) However I do not know of any software that can create these files.

Good luck.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azub View Post
I just got a Paperwhite and I previously used a Gen 3 (Keyboard) Kindle to read on. I want to transfer all my books (Done), and, importantly, how far I've read in them and if they're read or unread. Plus ideally collections as well.

From my research I've found out that Kindle gen 3 stored progress in .mbp files, and Paperwhite stores the data in .sdr folder in a .mbp1 file named after the book + what looks to be a hash.

My question is - is there a way to move my progress from my Gen 3 to my Paperwhite? Most of these books are sideloaded (HB and whatnot) from Calibre. Most are .mobi.
Nothing exists. You need to do everything again on the new Kindle Paperwhite.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote