Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-12-2021, 11:00 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I don't understand this. The text looks the same as it has always looked on my (2015) Glowlight Plus and Glowlight 3. What would make the text look faded aside from some code in the ePub file causing the text not to be dispalyed as black?
It's certainly not the epub, as all my epubs are edited before loading on devices. Can't really explain it better, the text is just paler black than it was before the update (with several different books, including the same book before and after the update). I found that when I open another book and then open the font menu inside that, then leave and open the first book again, the text is black again. It fades when I change the font type or size and I'll have to open another book etc., then go back to the first book to get the usual dark text. What a mess.

Edit: it may be something specific to the 2019 Glowlight Plus, as I found a couple of similar complaints about the latest update from the owners of said device.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-12-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:10 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Thank you. Unfortunately I have to confess my total ignorance as to what should be done with the zip file.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:28 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes.

First, I strip out the default font size if it's anything else than 1em. This I do in the editor. I don't know how the size embedding works if you don't do that.

The embedding itself I do while converting. First, I enter the font size key (click on the button shown on the first picture). I enter the 11 values in the field Font Size Key (the second picture) and change the base font size from 12.0 to 11.2 (the field named Base Font Size above the size key field). Then I click OK. I also embed a custom font after this. ...
Worked beautifully for me on both the Glowlight 3 and the Glowlight Plus (6"). Also worked on the Tolinos. Now they very closely match the PocketBook (and almost identically match each other). Thank you! Now the Glowlight 3 will get a lot more use. Still the warm screen available, in my opinion.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:30 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Update:
I updated my Nook to 53.0.66 (that's the latest for mine). And it's just awful. The font sizes are even more unusable than they were. And the text is definitely more faded. ...
Man, I'm sorry. Hopefully Renate will be able to show you how use the older firmware and you'll get your good fonts back.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:13 AM   #20
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
... what should be done with the zip file.
You can copy the update.zip onto /sdcard either with ADB or MTP.
If you have a recovery installed it has an option for "install update".
If not, the system is supposed to be able to identify and install updates by itself the next time it power cycles.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
You can copy the update.zip onto /sdcard either with ADB or MTP.
If you have a recovery installed it has an option for "install update".
If not, the system is supposed to be able to identify and install updates by itself the next time it power cycles.
Thank you.