Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur
Mr.Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3, kindle oasis 2
How to add more searching items in the Paperwhite's experimental browser?

Happy New Year to everyone!
In recent days, I want to add some more searching items beside the default items such as Google and Wikipedia in the Kindle Paperwhite's experimental browser. I thought it is in the /opt/var/local directory. And I modified the javascript file (maybe named search.js) in it, but no change was shown.

In PW3, the directory is compressed as a squashfs file.

What's the right file to add more searching items in the Paperwhite's experimental browser and how to modify it?
Mr.Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Do you have a Linux PC (other than a Kindle) available?
Without one, you will have trouble creating a squashfs file.

Then, once you have the new one, just substitute it at run time rather than replace it in the image.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

I know how to modify the squashfs file(/opt/var/local.sqsh), but I don't know which file in the squashfs is related to the searching items of the experimental browser.

I also want to know what's the corresponding jar file of the experimental browser.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Besides, is there any way to allow the experimental browser to download other type of files such as PDF files?
Old 01-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ps aux | grep 'cvm'
It is one of those on the command line classpath.
If the jar name doesn't give it away, give procyon a try.
https://bitbucket.org/mstrobel/procy...a%20Decompiler

Last edited by knc1; 01-02-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Advert
Old 01-04-2017, 02:10 AM   #6
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
did you succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Samuel View Post
Besides, is there any way to allow the experimental browser to download other type of files such as PDF files?
Hi Mr.Samuel how are you with this project?
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #7
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Haven't do anything about it yet
Old 01-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Maybe I can modify the SearchReferenceBooklet-*.jar file and other related files to add more search engines in the "reference" menu.
But I can't find any related file in the javascripts of "mesquite" folder to allow experimental browser to download other type of files such as PDF files.

Any idea?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Have you tried one of our alternate browsers?
I think Skipstone is the most popular, but there are another one or two available here.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 AM   #10
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Experimental browser ePub mobiliario pdf other filetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I think Skipstone is the most popular, but there are another one or two available here.
I personally use original Kindle Experimental browser and direct it to my iPad "Server" address (port 8080) with Filza File Manager to easy download and send wirelessly renamed "AZW" files to my kindle and after that rename them again to epub, etc. with my kindle file manager (Vlavsoft), so easily I can download any ebook format with my iPad and send it wirelessly to my kindle, also could do it with my Mac but more practical to me having much more time with iPad Pro and my Kindle PW3
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #11
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What is another alternative browsers?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Samuel View Post
What is another alternative browsers?
Sorry, I don't recall their names.
I would have to do the same as you, search for them with the advanced search feature.
I am fairly certain that they where built by twobob.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:30 AM   #13
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

To modify the local.sqsh more conveniently, I deleted the local.sqsh file and unmounted /opt/var/local, then,copied the backup of /opt/var/local folder back.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:33 AM   #14
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Does the source code of mesquite available in the firmware update page of amazon.com?