Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
bigmonty
bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Mostly PDFs and few Novels..which one I should go for?

I will be using my first e-reader mostly for journal articles, books for research purpose which mainly comes in PDF format. I don't need any wireless connection, bluetooth, mp3 or any other fancy features. A plain and simple e-reader which will help me read in PDF format and allows me to transfer files from computer or flash drive. That's it! Which one I should go for? Obviously I want the cheapest and the best!
bigmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Cheez-It
Cheez-It began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
That's it!
I've been waiting for this. A long, long time.

You have the following CURRENT choices:

1.) irex 1000ds. You could buy two netbooks for less. And it's a bit old.

2.) squinting. Nothing else will really provide a reasonable experience with academic journals. Screen sizes are all to small, and scrolling on an e-reader is laughable.

3.) tablet. Even here, you will either spend an arm and a leg, or go with the Asus T91, which uses a fairly underpowered processor and still has a limiting screen (8.9", but now you can scroll).

IMHO, there are NO choices for someone who doesn't have cash to burn. It is getting me frustrated thinking about it. Good luck.
Cheez-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
bigmonty
bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!bigmonty is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

hmmm... sounds quite depressing..thanks for your reply though.. any one can cheer up pdf readers like us?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Well it depends. Current ereaders may not be the most confortable way to read academic papers, though many papers are readable at least on PRS 600 which has a good zoom and reflow capabilities. It depends of their construction. If you provide us with some example papers people may bring input on their readability.

Last edited by sebastienbillard; 11-05-2009 at 04:26 AM.
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
One problem is that the larger screens that are needed for good PDF support are at a premium at the moment - there's the Kindle DX, which displays PDFs the not really interact with them, or the iRex devices, which are premium priced. Hopefully, another 6 months will have at least firmed up the release details of a few larger screened devices, but they're not really here yet.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Irex 1000DS or Kindle DX are the unique options I would advise.today

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
The new reader from Plastic Logic called Que, and the CrunchPad (if it ever comes out) are two possibilities.
I would already own a DX if they would have included an SDHC card reader builtin.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
bigmonty

thanks a lot for your reply folks... much appreciated..

@ sebastein... I will be reading most economics journal articles which includes lots of equations, graphs and tables.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I would take the Kindle DX because of its big screen or the Sony Touch Edition (PRS-600) because of its great zooming and scrolling capabilities.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote