Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Riverworld series - Philip Jose Farmer

My Dad gave all of these books to me when i was 10/11 and i loved them reread them now 5 or 6 times.

Anyone else a fan?

Also anyone know if they are available as Ebooks anywhere?

Ta
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They do not appear to be available as eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
My Dad gave all of these books to me when i was 10/11 and i loved them reread them now 5 or 6 times.

Anyone else a fan?

Also anyone know if they are available as Ebooks anywhere?

Ta
No, actually, the exact opposite. Although, I'm willing to believe that it was more a matter of presentation. I read the first book, loved it until I got to the end. Cliff hanger of sorts .... and no second book available.

By the time the second book was available, I had forgotten most of the first. Had to read it again, then got to the end of the second book ... cliff hanger of sorts again.

I think I gave up when I had the same go-round with the third book. By that point, I was really pissed off with Mr. Farmer, and have never really forgiven him.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
You really should finish them Ricky great ending in the penultimate book!
The last one in the series is a little out of place however.

I just love the idea of being able to use any character from history in your book!

I also like how Dean Koontz used Elvis in his 'Odd Thomas' series.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Eh ... maybe ... I'd have to decide if it was worth reading all of them again. I'll wait until their all out in ebook format and then decide.
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
gnawingonfoot
worthless joat
gnawingonfoot began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150, Handspring Visor Neo
I've only read the first one in the series, but I loved it and all of Mr. Farmer's other works that I've been able to get ahold of! Unfortunately his works are scarcely e-vailable. I wish Baen would pick up a few more rights to e-release his older books like they did with Strange Relations (which also includes The Lovers and Flesh).
gnawingonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I've been thinking about giving these books a go, but now I am concerned that I won't be satisfied until I've read them all. Does each book really end that way?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I've been thinking about giving these books a go, but now I am concerned that I won't be satisfied until I've read them all. Does each book really end that way?
Well, I can't speak for any further than I got. Anyone here get through them all ... .and was there EVER an ending??
Old 03-01-2009, 05:17 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Alas - Philip is no longer with us .....

January 26, 1918 – February 25, 2009

Last edited by GeoffC; 03-01-2009 at 06:08 AM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read the entire series. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"To Your Scattered Bodies Go," the first Riverworld novel, won the Hugo award in 1971 for Best Sci-Fi Novel.

Farmer was a huge fan of pulp fiction and of Burroughs, and was granted permission by the Burroughs' estate to write a 25th official Tarzan novel.

The Riverworld concept can be traced back to the early days when he began writing.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

Device: none
I also read these when i was younger i think my grandma gave them too me..
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
Pruitt
Pruitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've read them all 3 or 4 times now over the last 30 years or so. It's always been one of my favorite series.
Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #14
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
this sounds interesting, didnt they make a really bad Movie or Mini Series with the same title and same concept? i think there was also an Alien who Died on Earth who was there too.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've not personally come across a movie version, but that's not to say that one doesn't exist.