Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Thinking about exchanging iPad 3 for iPad mini

Ok, not really "exchanging" ... but give my iPad 3 to wife and keep the mini for me.

I thought this was not going to happen, but I ended buying a 16GB 4G mini yesterday. Tried in the store few days ago and it's size and ergonomics impressed me. They are sold out here in Houston but by chance, I was in an Apple store when a new batch of minis arrived. ... temptation was too high and bought one.

Before I left the store, the hundreds of 16GB models were almost sold out, again, amazing!

Anyway, I previously owned a Galaxy Tab (old and new versions) and Google Nexus. Returned because device was too slow or kind of small for PDFs. So far the mini feels really good. It is big enough on landscape mode for my SQL books (PDF files) and fast enough for browsing Internet and emails.

The thing is ... the retina display is awesome on the iPad 3. However, the text is sharper on the mini, more than the iPad 2. I guess is because pixels are more compressed?

My wife does not like the mini, too small for her taste. So I have two choices: give the iPad 3 to her and keep the mini, or return the mini and buy a new iPad 3 for her (her current iPad 2 has very minor issues with volume button)

Any feedback? ... I do not watch movies or listen music. I mainly use my iPad 3 for reading PDF files or light browsing. That's why I'm so in loved with the mini's size and weight.

Thanks,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Give the 3 to her and keep the Mini. They don't sell the iPad 3 anymore by the way.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I kept my IPad 2 and still got the mini.

I love it for reading, much lighter and easier to manage.

Still large enough for browsing the net, without straining.

Have not been sorry I upgraded......now the granddaughter uses the Ipad2 for her games and books.

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I bought both the mini and the retina iPad, so I could try them and decide which I wanted. I kept the mini for myself and gave the regular iPad to my husband. The mini is perfect for reading, surfing the web, scanning forums and blogs, keeping up with email, etc. I really like how much screen space is packed in such a small, light package.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
they don't sell the iPad 3 anymore by the way.
Ops, you may be right about that ...
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I bought both the mini and the retina iPad, so I could try them and decide which I wanted. I kept the mini for myself and gave the regular iPad to my husband. The mini is perfect for reading, surfing the web, scanning forums and blogs, keeping up with email, etc. I really like how much screen space is packed in such a small, light package.
Never got around to finding an iPad mini to check out the screen, but I do like that Apple uses a 4 to 3 ratio rather than a 16 to 9 or 10 used by most 7" tablet manufacturers. The 4 to 3 ratio gives you a wider page in portrait when reading. I wished they had used a similar ratio on the new iPhone rather than 16 to 9.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
They don't sell the iPad 3 anymore by the way.
If you're near a Microcenter they're still selling them (at a discount from the original price, although they discount the 2 and 4 as well).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
The screen on the mini isnt too bad but I confess to having been totally spoilt rotten by the higher definition on the ipad3 so I am waiting to see what next year brings. If its a higher resolution mini, I'll be getting one for certain.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Never got around to finding an iPad mini to check out the screen, but I do like that Apple uses a 4 to 3 ratio rather than a 16 to 9 or 10 used by most 7" tablet manufacturers. The 4 to 3 ratio gives you a wider page in portrait when reading. I wished they had used a similar ratio on the new iPhone rather than 16 to 9.
Agree.

That's why I like it so far for reading. It looks and feels different than the other 7 inches tablets I've had.

It's also extremely responsive .

And now when I hold the iPad 3, feels like a brick, heavy as hell ... lol ...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

And now when I hold the iPad 3, feels like a brick, heavy as hell ... lol ...
Thats because it is!
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #11
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Cool

No Mini for me without the Retina display... it's a must! I believe Apple may have inflated the price for the Mini so they can later upgrade it with a Retina screen, and keep the price the same. That's when I'm going to buy it, as a secondary reading device.

Even so, I prefer a 10-inch tablet for reading e-books over a 7-inch tablet: because I can make the reading font comfortably large, and need to flip pages less frequently. Among Kindle devices, too, I still prefer reading on my old 10-inch Kindle DX, even though its display quality is lower compared to new Kindles, but I just love the extra screen real estate. Too bad the iPad killed off Kindle DX -- I still prefer e-ink for daytime reading, Marvin on iPad after it gets dark.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Give the 3 to your wife and keep the mini. It is what I did and we are both happy with the arrangement.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

I'll keep the mini, hohoho... merry Christmas to me ... :-)

Reason being? Even thought it has no retina display. the aspect ratio and resolution is good enough for reading my PDF files, at least, that's what I've seen so far.

While I love the iPad 3, it is not my main reading device, the Kindle Paper White is. The landscape mode and new formatting on SQL books makes the PW almost ideal for long reading sessions.

I was using the iPad 3 for light Internet browsing at work, coffee shop or on the road, and for PDF reader using GoodReader.

The mini finally provide these to me, which after so many years and thousand of dollars on small devices, I think the mini is getting closer:

-Good PDF reader / app: GoodReader
-Good size or aspect ratio for PDFs (Nexus and previous Galaxy tablets were not big enough for PDFs, not for me)
-Light
-Responsive
-4G connectivity
-Kindle for iOs (I love the iOS version of Kindle. It's a really nice and mature app)

Will I change my mind later? Well ... if Apple can produce a similar device with retina display, I'm afraid I will.

Gosh, I love technology :-)

Now to decide, which one I will bring to Colombia on my overnight trip ... mini or iPad 3 .... hmmm, decisions, decisions ,,,

PS: whole post written with the mini
Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
The iPad mini looks seriously awesome. I've never tried it so I don't know if the screen's size would be comfortable to me, but the built quality looks incredible. Plus, being an iOS developer, I'm glad that they didn't have to create a new resolution for this and fragment the task of UI design any further.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Build quality is great, as could be expected, but the display is definitely sub-par for late 2012 expectations. I'd hesitate to give the iPad Mini as a gift to anyone (including myself) because of that -- I'd just feel bad about not giving the best that today's technology can offer at iPad Mini's price point. Apple can certainly do better, and I expect that they will, in 2013.

Jakob Nielsen, in today's column, calls any new displays below 200 ppi "lousy", and I agree. iPad Mini only has 163 ppi, while iPads 3, 4 have 264 ppi, and iPhones 4, 5 are at the delightfully crisp 326 ppi. (The Retina MacBook Pros are at "only" 220/227 ppi.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote