Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Nexus 10

Anyone tried the Nexus 10 as a reader? I have a Sony e-reader but I'm after something for reading PDFs: sceintific papers, reference books, etc. You really need fast page turning, rapid searching, and color to make this practical so the e-reader is out. I like that the Nexus 10 has a high res screen. I thought of an iPad, but I'd rather have a tablet that I can customise more extensively. So Android seems like a better bet.

Comments please! Also, any general pros and cons on reading epubs and PDFs on Android would be nice.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know an iPad works very well to display PDF using the Goodreader app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
Anyone tried the Nexus 10 as a reader? I have a Sony e-reader but I'm after something for reading PDFs: sceintific papers, reference books, etc. You really need fast page turning, rapid searching, and color to make this practical so the e-reader is out. I like that the Nexus 10 has a high res screen. I thought of an iPad, but I'd rather have a tablet that I can customise more extensively. So Android seems like a better bet.

Comments please! Also, any general pros and cons on reading epubs and PDFs on Android would be nice.
There are many apps on Android for PDFs and ePubs, some free, others paid. I personally use ezPDF reader for PDFs and Mantano for ePubs, though Mantano also reads PDFs.

The Nexus 10 has one of the best, if not the flat out best, CPU in any tablet (source and source), so page turns should be very fast. However, you should be aware that the sheer number of pixels could on occasion tax the GPU and cause a bit of lag.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Well, I jumped for the Nexus 10 and I'm liking it so far. Have yet to fully navigate the range of abailable PDF readers. Right now I'm liking Maneto combined with the Color Dictionary. I like the fact that I can now read comics as well as e-books.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
Well, I jumped for the Nexus 10 and I'm liking it so far. Have yet to fully navigate the range of abailable PDF readers. Right now I'm liking Maneto combined with the Color Dictionary. I like the fact that I can now read comics as well as e-books.
Congratulations, enjoy your device!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert