Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Probably.
The hotspot wouldn't have much in the way of attached services, would it?
Not unless Amazon offers data plans.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #47
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Probably.
The hotspot wouldn't have much in the way of attached services, would it?
Exactly.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #48
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Except that good calculators - which haven't changed in years - are still quite expensive.
Maybe that's because of the tendency for high school math teachers, and professors, to specify the model. This could make graphing calculators expensive for the same reason textbooks are.

I'm not saying I really think you are wrong. I'm just saying that I mildly hope you are wrong. Since I have no real need for features such as color or video, I'll gladly wait five years to see whether tablet prices do collapse. I don't need one, but, heck, if it's ever free after rebate, why not?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #49
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
...it's ONLY $499

No biggee for a multi-millionaire (or is he a billionaire?)
Yeah, that's about as much as a new desktop computer. I'd be a while saving that up on my income.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #50
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yeah, that's about as much as a new desktop computer. I'd be a while saving that up on my income.
Admittedly a very lousy desktop computer. The point has been made --- why can't they have a few devices for the top end without people jumping all over them? They have budget tablets, too. The fully spec'ed out versions are always expensive, those who cannot afford them can just get the WiFi version, that one is priced quite low.

It makes no sense to leave the high-end as the exclusive playground for Apple and Samsung.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #51
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Admittedly a very lousy desktop computer. The point has been made --- why can't they have a few devices for the top end without people jumping all over them? They have budget tablets, too. The fully spec'ed out versions are always expensive, those who cannot afford them can just get the WiFi version, that one is priced quite low.

It makes no sense to leave the high-end as the exclusive playground for Apple and Samsung.
I could be quite satisfied relatively cheaply IF a cheap data plan in Mobile Hotspot form were available. That device could stay as it was as I played around with the latest WiFi tablets or WiFi players. A MoWiFi is pretty stable, isn't going to break, be upgraded much, or be dropped. It could last for years. Then I could connect through it with my little net-book, or the Galaxy 5.0 Player for $190 that Amazon is offering right now, or an inexpensive "complete" tablet (meaning with SD, memory, and GPS).

That elusive hotspot is the answer and thus the problem because it isn't here yet with a cheap data plan. I don't think that we will get a cell cheap data service slapped on top of a cheap tablet or player for years to come, but I have hopes for that MoWiFi device..
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Maybe that's because of the tendency for high school math teachers, and professors, to specify the model. This could make graphing calculators expensive for the same reason textbooks are.
Graphing calculators are pricey because they are pocket-sized computers with downloadable software and relatively big screens.
Four-bangers are single-chip devices that are hard-wired for what they do and using smaller, way cheaper displays. They *really* are different types of devices. It's not a profit margin thing, like with the high-end tablets which all use comparable components.

Anyway, math teachers use the TI calculators for the same reason businesses use Windows: the price is acceptable *and* the apps are there. Software drives use.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-11-2012 at 08:29 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #53
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I could be quite satisfied relatively cheaply IF a cheap data plan in Mobile Hotspot form were available. That device could stay as it was as I played around with the latest WiFi tablets or WiFi players. A MoWiFi is pretty stable, isn't going to break, be upgraded much, or be dropped. It could last for years. Then I could connect through it with my little net-book, or the Galaxy 5.0 Player for $190 that Amazon is offering right now, or an inexpensive "complete" tablet (meaning with SD, memory, and GPS).

That elusive hotspot is the answer and thus the problem because it isn't here yet with a cheap data plan. I don't think that we will get a cell cheap data service slapped on top of a cheap tablet or player for years to come, but I have hopes for that MoWiFi device..
try looking here:

http://www.millenicom/com

they offer the new Novatel Jetpack 4620L 4G LTE mifi-type hotspot in a 20/20 plan (20gb @ 4g + 20gb @ 3g of whatever sort) for $99 for the device and the plan is $69.99/mo no contract.

With the right version of the 4620L you can just cancel after a month, buy a 4g lte usb stick, activate that stick on the 4g lte unlimited plan for the same price then stick that sim card in the 4620l and viola essentially unlimited 4g lte for $70/mo. Soft cap of 50gb but neve havehad them question me on up to 250gb in a month so far. But I don't torrent, host a server, etc..just stream nNetflix, Amazon VOD, Hulu, Goglemaps/Nav, Pandora, you know basic home user stuff.

I've used Millenicom for a decade or so now and love them. Originally they were only a backup for me but now as I travel so muchfor work they well feel like my primary ISP. But solutions are there and right now the 4620L is ~$250 on Amaazon or ebay. So the deal here is pretty nice. There is also a forum for them over on broadbandreports.com (aka dslrreports.com)

Last edited by rkw; 09-11-2012 at 12:03 PM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #54
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:

It's the way they push the high-end stuff, just assuming that everyone SHOULD get the top dog and anything less is not worth mentioning. It's like they assume we all have the money to blow on all this stuff or will mortgage the farm to get it.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #55
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
It's the way they push the high-end stuff, just assuming that everyone SHOULD get the top dog and anything less is not worth mentioning. It's like they assume we all have the money to blow on all this stuff or will mortgage the farm to get it.
It is just talk. The old Sears trick, you talk up the high-end stuff to impress the customers and then sell the low or medium range. Amazon just wants to show off their advanced technology. You are reading too much into it. They are just as happy if you buy the 7" or WiFi only 8.9".
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
It is just talk. The old Sears trick, you talk up the high-end stuff to impress the customers and then sell the low or medium range. Amazon just wants to show off their advanced technology. You are reading too much into it. They are just as happy if you buy the 7" or WiFi only 8.9".
They *expect* people to buy the $199/299, "value" models.
The $159 and $499 models are the "specialty" models; one is the low-ball price leader, so they can say: "Kindle Fire! From $159!"
The other is the chest-thumper: "Our tech is as good or better as anybody's!"

They do the same thing in the auto industry.
Chrysler: "Yeah, we can build exotic street-going race cars as well as anybody! Look at our drool-worthy VIPER that goes toe to toe with Ferrari and Porsche's very best! We also make the much more affordable Dart. Check it out!"

Marketting 102, really.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #57
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
I'm not sure Amazon doing *one* premium model alongside three value models means they've gone Boutique.
You're right. You have to look at the entire product line...

1) entry line is a more powerful Fire featuring a 20% price drop
2) at the last entry level price, they have HD, better audio, better wifi, better battery
3) for another $50, you bump the memory
4) for another $50, you bump the screen size and the cpu

This is a pretty reasonable ramp for features added. That $300 tablet is pretty awesome for only $100 more than our KFs cost less than a month ago.

The last two models are what I would call premium. I'd have to think about spending another $200 to get 4g, but that's what it costs and a lot of people are spending $100 a MONTH for a smart phone, so what do I know?

PLUS, I can think of at lease two people who would benefit muchly from the $50 data plan. My mother-in-law has no internet access and is looking at getting one so she can do email. I have no use for 4G except when I travel. Even then I generally can find free service. On the road, though, and at some stope, I'd love to be able to use a 9" Fire to check my mail or find something or close the deal on an ebay auction. I may get one of these for my wife just so I have one in the car when we camp.

For $599, Bezos has provided a premium tablet with a very reasonable total cost of ownership. I, for one, appreciate the effort.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #58
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
try looking here:

http://www.millenicom/com

they offer the new Novatel Jetpack 4620L 4G LTE mifi-type hotspot in a 20/20 plan (20gb @ 4g + 20gb @ 3g of whatever sort) for $99 for the device and the plan is $69.99/mo no contract.

With the right version of the 4620L you can just cancel after a month, buy a 4g lte usb stick, activate that stick on the 4g lte unlimited plan for the same price then stick that sim card in the 4620l and viola essentially unlimited 4g lte for $70/mo. Soft cap of 50gb but neve havehad them question me on up to 250gb in a month so far. But I don't torrent, host a server, etc..just stream nNetflix, Amazon VOD, Hulu, Goglemaps/Nav, Pandora, you know basic home user stuff.

I've used Millenicom for a decade or so now and love them. Originally they were only a backup for me but now as I travel so muchfor work they well feel like my primary ISP. But solutions are there and right now the 4620L is ~$250 on Amaazon or ebay. So the deal here is pretty nice. There is also a forum for them over on broadbandreports.com (aka dslrreports.com)
That could work when I am going to be out of range (wi-fi) for a while. I don't stream but I have known to download a few things. Don't need aGPS.
Sounds like you and I have same problem with work and travel though it is getting less and less. What I do now is hop mainly between two boats. A house boat on a lake/river inland and a trawler I am converting on the coast.

Last edited by SeaKing; 09-13-2012 at 06:12 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote