Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-26-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Scifier
[=>>=]
Scifier began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 620BT (was), Irex Iliad (was), Kindle Keyboard, Android phone
Iliad screen defects

I haven't been using Iliad for some time and today when I have turned it on I found two nasty screen-height vertical lines on the display.

I admit I've been naughty last year frequently betraying my Iliad with my HP Laser Jet, but I didn't expect such a present for a Xmas.

Is it something that I could try to fix myself or the only option is to start hassling Irex support?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iliad Screen Defects.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	8459   Click image for larger version

Name:	DefectPic2.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	9157  

Last edited by Scifier; 01-14-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Scifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
adc89
adc89 began at the beginning.

Device: None
I have the same problem only much worse. My cat stepped on it... I've only had it for a few weeks.

From what I've read on the iRex forum, I'm not expecting much. There are many other people with the same type of problems, it seems the only option is to pay $400-500 to get the screen replaced. I don't think I'll be doing that...

I'd advise returning it if you can. It seems way to fragile. Hopefully they'll get some competition in the coming months.

Last edited by adc89; 12-27-2007 at 08:57 PM.
adc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I don't consider the screen to be overly fragile. Mine has survived some rough treatment, the worst incident being knocked of the seat of a four wheel drive and hitting, screen down, on gravel. It is still working perfectly.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
Scifier
[=>>=]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
I don't consider the screen to be overly fragile. Mine has survived some rough treatment, the worst incident being knocked of the seat of a four wheel drive and hitting, screen down, on gravel. It is still working perfectly.
I don't think what has happened to my Iliad is happened because of the rough physical treatment.

The display of Iliad is always been protected with the M-Edge cover (https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...products_id=61) and it looks like the "Power ON/OFF" switch now behaves slightly weird - it takes a little longer for the Iliad to realise what I want it to be switched on or off.

So my guess is the damaged vertical lines on the display somehow been burned out after I had connected it to the PC after a relatively long (1 or 2 months) period of inactivity.

Perhaps it has something todo with the Iliad's battery and the way battery reacts to being recharged after not being in use for a while.

Last edited by Scifier; 01-01-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I'm not an expert, but it looks to me like a "line out" problem where a row of pixels stop responding (similar problem on LCDs). I've seen a case of this in the past on another forum where iRex said that it was covered under warranty. I don't think a broken screen would look like a single white line like that.

I don't know of anything you can do about it yourself unless you know how to fix the hardware under the screen. You'll probably need to contact iRex support.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

Yup, I had a very similar problem. It was a line-out which manifested as a single horizontal row of dead pixels along the top. Irex repaired it for free and quite graciously after a long back-and-forth where they mixed my device up with another returned device.
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Scifier
[=>>=]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbrown View Post
Yup, I had a very similar problem. It was a line-out which manifested as a single horizontal row of dead pixels along the top. Irex repaired it for free and quite graciously after a long back-and-forth where they mixed my device up with another returned device.
Quote:
"mixed my device up with another returned device"
I contacted their support a few days ago and so far their actions was quick and professional - the return box for my Iliad is already in Sydney.

Let's see how long it will take them to repair(or replace) the device and get it back to me.

Thank you jackbrown.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
jsavani
jsavani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Unhappy Same iLiad Defective Display

Hi, I was quite surprised to see your pix of your defective iLiad display because my defect is so similar. I have been emailing iRex tech support back and forth, and so far they have not been helpful though I can see from your picture and the other comments that this defect of mine is not particular to my device, but instead a not uncommon defect that the iRex tech people should have immediately recognized. Please anybody else who has info on this unfortunate circustance, weigh in! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifier View Post
I haven't been using Iliad for some time and today when I have turned it on I found two nasty screen-height vertical lines on the display.

I admit I've been naughty last year frequently betraying my Iliad with my HP Laser Jet, but I didn't expect such a present for a Xmas.

Is it something that I could try to fix myself or the only option is to start hassling Irex support?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	786.5 KB
ID:	9458  
jsavani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It looks indeed like a "line error" that falls under warranty. But it could also be something else. I am sure you will be sent a returnbox soon, if youhave sent this image to the iRex support.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
jsavani
jsavani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
More on iLiad Screen Defects

Hi, It is obviously important to produce a photograph of a defective iLiad screen to induce iRex support readily to agree to a repair under warranty. My iLiad has a column from top to bottom, mid screen, of non-display (noted in a post heretofore). The photograph of this defect led iRex support to respond immediately with a repair offer. I will keep this thread posted on when I get the box and the logistics of repair. It will be very interesting to see whether in six months to a year from now such screen defects crop up in Kindles. I am wondering if this defect, which a web search shows has occurred in several iLiads (see also iRex forum where users are describing this defect), is inherent to current technical approaches to manufacturing devices using e-ink. As to the speculations in this thread about this defect occurring because a cat sat on a screen or because a device not used for a while was jolted by connection to a computer, I find this self-blame disarming but highly improbable. My iLiad, incidentally, was working perfectly when I set it on a bedside table. The next morning the line appeared when the device was turned on. Absolutely nothing happened to the device during the night. I think it's important for users with similar defects not to try to figure out how they mis-used the device, but to acknowledge that this is a defect and lobby iRex to let us all know what it is and how it is being addressed so as not to occur again in repaired and newly purchased devices.
jsavani is offline   Reply With Quote