Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Talking Dingo - First Impressions

So, those of you who have the new version installed, what do you think?

(BTW, if you're having problems downloading, i.e., it's not installing, check http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...blems-Updating.)

Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
drsteve
Edge User

Is there a link to download the Dingo package via PC?

Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Downloading now, but my first thought was way to go. I was resigned to wait days, surprised to see it so quickly. Entourage did not disappoint us!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
aidren
Edge User

Some quick early comments.

Have been online, sent page to epub, used the reader and annotation tools. Have noticed speed improvements everywhere; lcd and reader. When using colours with pencil tool, now, it is just as fast as with black. NICE.

So far, am liking the new UI. Now on to pdf's (because that's what I use the most) and the journal and calendar... and... and ...and.... Me thinks I'll be gone for a while.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Everything seems much faster, I think I really like it. Although I can't wait for 2.2

Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Finally had a chance to take Dingo for a spin. My notes so far:

One of my favourite additions is the new Calendar. It includes the ability to write notes on the eInk side for To Do lists, Groceries lists, or itineraries for a given day on the calendar. I was surprised that on appointments (“events) you can set multiple reminder times, e.g. 2 days before, 4 hours before, and 10 minutes before - Outlook can't do that

A big addition is a Search function in the Library. Just type a word and you’ll see a list of matching items. Also, the tag you select when browsing is now “permanent until you change it. No more switching back to “All whenever you leave the Library screen

One thing I’m not too keen on in this release is the slow flickering menus on the eInk side (given it's a first release of this feature, a later update could improve it). I do like the text on each menu item, though, as it’s much faster to spot the function you want.

And I'm sure glad the keyboard's been fixed!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
kemar
Edge User

I am enjoying the update. I haven't had a chance to go through everything yet but I just wanted to post two things that I notice and enjoy. I like that I can now set a tag in the library and even if I turn the eDGe off and go back to the library it doesn't default back to "All," listing everything in the library. Instead, it returns to the tag I had opened last. I also like that I can actually "close" books and journals. It wasn't a major issue but I wasn't crazy about the last journal or book I had open remaining open all the time. Now I can "close" everything on the ereader side.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
pat.indie
Edge User

Everything is very fast...I am impressed
Reader (e-ink) contrast seems better (don't know if it actually is). Annotating is much faster and printing almost follows the pen.
LCD responsiveness and accuracy seems better.

Last edited by pat.indie; 08-31-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Additions

Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
guyjack
Edge User

Everything is much faster...I need to take the calender for a spin and see how good it really does. One question, does the calender app sync with Google calender?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
RomanHuff
Edge User

It doest look like it syncs with google, though it seems very compatable.

The only thing I see fault in is orienting pictures to use as reader wallpaper is not as easy as for the LCD. Everything else is awesome. I can't wait until 2.2!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
skapsal
Edge User

I like the improvements to the "menu bar" at the bottom. I like being able to change what icons are there. But really my thought is that we don't need that reserved space at the bottom now. It's the same as the rest of the desktop other than always being visible. But we have a home button, so it's exactly one button press to see all the icons on the home screen. I'd rather have that screen real estate be useable.

Plus it would be like most other android devices then in the way it operates. From a code customizations standpoint I think it would streamline the amount of custom code enTourage has to maintain.

Just my initial reaction. Customizable is better than not. I was hoping that if I removed all the icons that I would reclaim that space. Nope, just an empty reserved space now.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
morellij3179
Edge User

I don't have a menu bar on my screen anymore. The extra space is great.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
NiaTrue
Edge User

My thoughts and experiences so far mirror those of skapsal. In addition, I REALLY love the calendar app, and the journal is SO much better. Library layout? Big improvement there. No more endless scrolling to get to the bottom of the list, much better use of that space with the new layout. And is bootup faster, too, or am I imagining that?

I tried everything in the release notes except the projector app and encountered only two wacky things: My shapes tool in the journal is finicky, and YouTube didn't work for me on the mobile sight (That's annoying, but I can type this as a parenthetical expression because my right parenthesis works!). I'll try YouTube again later to make sure that wasn't my sleep deprivation at work.

And since I'm falling asleep, I'll add more later.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 PM   #14
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellij3179 View Post
I don't have a menu bar on my screen anymore. The extra space is great.
How'd you manage that?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
morellij3179
Edge User

I installed the update and it was gone I didn't even notice till I read skapsals comment. I use the home screen app Home + +. That is the only reason I can think why it's gone.