Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
OncTech
OncTech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, enTourage eDGe
The eDGe "cyborg" experiment

Hey folks, not posted in a long while, but I still love my big eDGe.

I recently started doing some interesting experiments with wearable computing, what some people call "cyborg" computer setups. I've been tinkering with the edge as a platform due to a)it's ability to port out it's video display b)compatibility with off-the-shelf USB keyboards and c)I'm both cheap and not skilled enough to solder my own circuits or write my own software. The rig I set up goes like this:

eDGe -> USB to VGA coverter - > VGA to RCA converter -> Eyeglass mounted display. Other USB port is a palm-sized wireless keyboard with touchpad.

And...it works! Sort of. I can literally display the edge's screen in my glasses, perceived as a 10 inch screen floating in mid air in the lower right of my field of vision. And I can carry out most actions with my tiny keyboard that is small enough to literally slide up my sleeve.

Now here's the issues that need working out:

1. The eyeglass HUD display is 4:3 Aspect Ratio, so the far right of the screen is cut off. Need to figure out if my VGA to RCA box can fix this.
2. The keyboard is minimalist and so has no Home Key and the F keys only go to F8. Need an alternate way to issue "Home" command via keyboard.
3. Screen unlock. You can't (far as I know) unlock the screen with a keyboard when the eDGe screen times out. Anyone know a solution? Can you unlock via keyboard or disable the slide feature?

Yeah I know, this probably all sounds a bit nuts. It was more curiosity driving this than anything, but hopefully this experiment might translate into other useful eDG tricks.

Last edited by OncTech; 12-02-2011 at 10:43 AM.
OncTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Actually, that sounds pretty cool. I personally wouldn't try it, but it's nice to see eDGe owners thinking outside the box. And you are right, maybe it will translate into other useful eDGe tricks.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
mint121
mint121 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
I used No Lock to disable Slide to Unlock.
https://market.android.com/details?i...android.nolock
mint121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
OncTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint121 View Post
I used No Lock to disable Slide to Unlock.
https://market.android.com/details?i...android.nolock
Sweet! That's one major problem out of the way.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
solarbanjo
Enthusiast
solarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Entourage Edge
That is awesome! Regarding the home/menu/back keys, I have had success remapping keys on my bluetooth keyboard by altering the keymapping file on the edge. I'll go back to my notes later and try to come up with some detailed steps that may help. You will need to be rooted, though.
solarbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
OncTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbanjo View Post
You will need to be rooted, though.
I am, and have Root Explorer on there too.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome back, OncTech!

Any chance of a picture?
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
solarbanjo
Enthusiast
solarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Entourage Edge
I just posted suggestions for remapping keys for your keyboard: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159538

Hopefully this will help!
solarbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
OncTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Welcome back, OncTech!

Any chance of a picture?
I'll post something soon, when I figure out the last few details.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
ATFmac
Connoisseur
ATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge, Ermine 0.9, Rooted, Market Enabled
Sounds interesting for curiosities sake. I was curious what eyeglass display you used to get the screen?

Good luck!
ATFmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
OncTech

As promised, here's pics. The rig is now functional, and it's all a matter of packing it up nice and neat in a shoulder bag.

Here's the "exploded view" of the parts all laid out:
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1323488504
Here's a closeup of the head mounted display and the keyboard/touchpad:
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1323488488

The display glasses are a now-defunct brand called EyeTop. There might be better options these days that hook directly to a VGA port, but all the ones I've found are full video glasses that are $300+ and I'd have to dismantle them to make a monocular "cyborg" display. So for now these will have to do.

No results yet on battery life so I don't know how practical this will be, but at the very least the EyeTop has it's own power supply (AA Batteries). I'll do some "model shots" soon when I get it all working right.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
That looks really cool! So inventive!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I have a much better idea now of what's involved.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi, which exact usb to vga adapter are you using?
helf is offline   Reply With Quote