Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
konrad
konrad began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub CSS versus "Regular" CSS

Hello everyone ,
I have a question about the difference between "Regular" (web page) Css and Css used in ePubs.What will actually validate (I use Flightcrew) and what wont and why.Is there some publication or a website that spells it out in a non-technical way that a beginner can understand ? I have consulted the ePub specs but they seem vague to me. I`ve tried applying what little Css I`ve learned about web pages to ePubs with limited success. If anyone can help me with this it would be appreciated. Thank you.
konrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The most CSS will work for ePubs regarding formatting. Some more 'advanced' stuff will not work. For some things you just need to try. It is specified in the specs and I believe Valloric used those specs for Flightcrew. However, specification in the specs will not garantuee that it will work on the readers. Implementation of the specs into the software is done by others, e.g. Adobe. They decide whether to implement the specs or not unfortunatly.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by konrad View Post
Hello everyone ,
I have a question about the difference between "Regular" (web page) Css and Css used in ePubs.What will actually validate (I use Flightcrew) and what wont and why.Is there some publication or a website that spells it out in a non-technical way that a beginner can understand ? I have consulted the ePub specs but they seem vague to me. I`ve tried applying what little Css I`ve learned about web pages to ePubs with limited success. If anyone can help me with this it would be appreciated. Thank you.
There's not only the problem of what CSS is valid in an eub, there's also the problem of what CSS is supported by the various ePub implementations.

For the standard, the authoritative source is

http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops/OPS_2.0...tml#Section3.3

although you really need to read the other parts of the document too, not just section 3.3.

For individual implementations, I don't think there really is any documentation collected anywhere.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by konrad View Post
Hello everyone ,
Just to re-iterate
A valid EPUB CSS may not work as desired on all devices
Example
Centering an small HR (horizontal rule) with the CSS works in Sigil, and Calibre viewer but does not center on my Astak( w/ADE). You have to use less elegant coding
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
FlightCrew (currently) does not perform validation of CSS files.

Then again, neither does EpubCheck, but FC will at least get this feature in the future.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert