Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
A small milestone reached

Well

Last night I finished the 30th book on my Kobo (Ko1). This surpasses my ebook count on my PRS-300.

Pretty chuffed with that achievement.

When I purchased my Kobo back in July, I had the benefit of earlier adopters posting about complications, issues and shortcomings. So I went in the Angus and Robertson with eyes wide open.

For me, my investment has been excellent thus far and I hope into the future. I will be looking at a new ereader next year and thus pass my Kobo on to my youngest daughter (though she likes dead tree book far too much to go to ebooks at the moment).
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
Well I would like to congratulate you. I have the old Kobo as well but have read far fewer books on mine, preferring to read on my DX. Still the Kobo is a good ereader for reading novels.

Next year there will be even more models and brands replacing the shortcomings of the ones today.

One thing I owe to the Kobo is it got me to read again and discover reading's wonderful imaginative, compulsive and absorbing world. For that alone I will try to give them some sort of loyalty.
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by masona8 View Post
One thing I owe to the Kobo is it got me to read again and discover reading's wonderful imaginative, compulsive and absorbing world. For that alone I will try to give them some sort of loyalty.
Thats definately the case for me, no carrying heavy books, just a small light reader, which has meant I have pulled it out more times that I can remember.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Last night I finished the 30th book on my Kobo (Ko1).
Congrats!
Yep, this little gadget makes us read again. Spite minuses on
<this> or <that>, this one plus is so big that overcasts them
all.
Seems that users do not need extra features on the next de-
vice. Just good screen with fine contrast and problemless epub
management. (And rock solid method to upgrade firmware, of
course.)
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
<gulp> I just looked at my kobobooks library. I bought 12 books so far this month--and we still have almost a week to go in November. I'm blaming it on award season and amazing discount codes. This evening I bought Just Kids by Patti Smith (National Book Award $6.82 CAD after discount, including tax) and Room by Emma Donoghue (short listed for Man Booker, just announced Irish National Book Award, $7.32 CAD after discount and tax).

I'm reading more and I guess you could say reading better . We are not exactly chock full of bookstores here and I had gotten in the habit of buying fast food books at discount and grocery stores, supplemented by maybe a dozen books bought on-line over the course of a year. I've read 50 books since May when I got my Kobo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I will be looking at a new ereader next year and thus pass my Kobo on to my youngest daughter (though she likes dead tree book far too much to go to ebooks at the moment).
This evening, I was remembering the pleasure I got pulling books from the shelves of my parents' library and my anticipation as mom opened her monthly selection from the Book of the Month Club. I wonder if my grandkids will look through my digital library with that same sense of joy.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Now that is a memory similar to mine.

As a child (from age 8-17) I used to stay at my grandparents who dairy farmed near a small coastal country town some 300km south of Perth (Dunsborough).

Pop had a wonderful range of hardcover books, plus readers digest omnibus books. There were great stories to be read and every year there was new reading material. When my Nana died in 1999 (Pop died in 1992), I was left with a wide choice of those old hardcovers. They bring back wonderful and delightful memories to me. Cherished memories.

Certainly, ebooks would not convey that wonder in the same form. But in 40 years time, perhaps it might.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This evening, I was remembering the pleasure I got pulling books from the shelves of my parents' library and my anticipation as mom opened her monthly selection from the Book of the Month Club. I wonder if my grandkids will look through my digital library with that same sense of joy.
The whole world has changed. No more lp records, one day no more
paper books. To me the real pain was I have no more music medium,
either on a vynil or cd. And I listen no less than before.
I suppose public servers would handle all needs one day, just as it
starts to show up. Last (but not least), the language will change so
much that people would avoid obsolete books like Tchekhov, Hemingway
and the rest of them.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I think my aunt and uncle had a set of the Readers Digest omnibus books. I feel lucky to have been raised in a family of readers--not just books, but newspapers and magazines--and to have had mealtimes where what we were reading was discussed.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
zoran
himself

Quote:
I feel lucky to have been raised in a family of readers--not just books, but newspapers and magazines--and to have had mealtimes where what we were reading was discussed.
Multimedia takes over. No pictures, no interest. People are not
less smart than before. Just, the playing process is avoided. As
child needs to play to make brain synapses work the way it has
to, perfect movie or video game fails to do that.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
I think my aunt and uncle had a set of the Readers Digest omnibus books. I feel lucky to have been raised in a family of readers--not just books, but newspapers and magazines--and to have had mealtimes where what we were reading was discussed.
I had access to my parents' bookcase, and when I stayed with my Grandmother in the summers, hers. And I learned fairly early on to use a dictionary. Asking the meaning of a word could cause my parents to say "WHAT are you reading?" and gone was that book.

I read Peyton Place and True Detective Stories at much too young an age. My favourite genre is still mystery.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

@dmacmart: I read Harold Robbins' The Carpetbaggers sitting on the floor in a closet with a flashlight.