Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Chrikow
Chrikow began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Display shows only stripes! Please help!

Hello all,

I'm despair. My Cybook shows since two days only stripes. The rest of it seem to work properly. Please take a look on the picture! It still happened without any reason. Still tried the reset button and the on off button couple of times, . The screen just stays and doesn't refresh. Sometimes the stripes change position (until startup, or pressing buttons). PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by Chrikow; 09-14-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Chrikow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Uh-oh.

I'm not positive but I think that's a broken screen substrate.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrikow View Post
Hello all,

I'm despair. My Cybook shows since two days only stripes. The rest of it seem to work properly. Please take a look on the picture! It still happened without any reason. Still tried the reset button and the on off button couple of times, . The screen just stays and doesn't refresh. Sometimes the stripes change position (until startup, or pressing buttons). PLEASE HELP!

Looks like the screen controller is broken. You'll need to get a Return Authorization Number from Bookeen and then send it back. It'll run about $150 for everything except the shipping. You'll pay extra for that.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Looks like the screen controller is broken. You'll need to get a Return Authorization Number from Bookeen and then send it back. It'll run about $150 for everything except the shipping. You'll pay extra for that.
If it is a broken screen controller it is covered by the warranty or by the 3 years EU-regulation coverage.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You might be able to pick one up on eBay cheaper than that. I got one in excellent condition for $150.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If it is a broken screen controller it is covered by the warranty or by the 3 years EU-regulation coverage.
Only if he can prove he didn't damage it by careless action. Yes, I know - from bitter personal experience - that these screens and their controller connections can break simply because a user *BREATHES* on them wrong, but short of having 24/7 video surveillance proving non-carelessness, I'll gonna bet Bookeen calls it user-caused.

Derek
Old 09-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Only if he can prove he didn't damage it by careless action. Yes, I know - from bitter personal experience - that these screens and their controller connections can break simply because a user *BREATHES* on them wrong, but short of having 24/7 video surveillance proving non-carelessness, I'll gonna bet Bookeen calls it user-caused.
As far as I remember everybody that has had a broken screen controller have had it fixed for free by Bookeen according to reports here. I really do not get how you can break an integrated circuit by being careless.

When my "screen controller" broke there was no argument. They just sent me a new Cybook.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
As far as I remember everybody that has had a broken screen controller have had it fixed for free by Bookeen according to reports here. I really do not get how you can break an integrated circuit by being careless.

When my "screen controller" broke there was no argument. They just sent me a new Cybook.
And... the second one of mine that broke the controller was also fixed by shipping a new Cybook - for $125 plus S&H of course. So the 'they will fix it for free' isn't always true. If he gets it for free, that is great - but better to expect it to cost and get it free than vice versa - yes?

Derek
Old 09-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #9
Chrikow
Chrikow began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hey guys,

many thanks for the answers. I did't made any damages to the cybook, it just happened. My Cybook is only 10-11 months old, so i have full warranty (but about 80 books read). Hope they can fix it for free, and soon, cant live without my e-Reader ! How long does the exchange take?
Chrikow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And... the second one of mine that broke the controller was also fixed by shipping a new Cybook - for $125 plus S&H of course. So the 'they will fix it for free' isn't always true. If he gets it for free, that is great - but better to expect it to cost and get it free than vice versa - yes?
And you had warranty left? Or how long since you bought the device was this?

From a European standpoint you have the wrong expectation. Consumer protection in Europe is very strong (which is relected a bit in the price we pay) so the natural thing to assume is that things are covered and that companies tries to fool you by claiming otherwise.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The other problem you might encounter is that if Bookeen does send you a new Gen3, you could end up with a new PID and all the eBooks you have that have DRM would not work unless you go to each online shop you got them from, put in the new PID and redownloaded all of them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrikow View Post
Hello all,

.Look like a nearly empty battery. Put it in charge for a while, and try again.

Don't forget that the display will not change until the device will tell it to do it, so even by pushing on the reset button, the display will not going white.

Which version do you have? 400Mhz one or 200Mhz one?

Quote:
Bla bla bla.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Bla bla bla.
Do you work for Bookeen or do you have any other reason trying to give people the wrong facts?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #14
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Are you a lawyer or just you repeat some things you heard/read on internet? Are you of the people who thinks that there is right to download for 24h something only for testing and can use it during this period whitout beeing illegal?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Are you a lawyer or just you repeat some things you heard/read on internet? Are you of the people who thinks that there is right to download for 24h something only for testing and can use it during this period whitout beeing illegal?
No, but I can read and have read about consumer rights. And in Sweden we have people working professionally (paid by the state) with this and they write articles in newspapers telling people exactly what holds and how you can be cheated so it is easy to be well informed about this. If you have not read about how consumer rights work in EU you should not spread you guesses.