Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Story HD Mod: Downgrade 1.34US/1.33/1.32US to 1.29US

Warning: I can't guarantee it will work for you. Use at your own risk!

It turns out that iriver removed access to the web browser in the 1.3x US firmware (see this thread for details), which causes the WebPortal mod to fail.

This "mod" attempts to downgrade 1.34US or 1.33US or 1.32US to 1.29US in order to re-enable the Story HD's web browser for the WebPortal mod. The existing firmware files are verified to be either 1.34US or 1.33US or 1.32US before replacing them with 1.29US ones. If the verification steps fails, the downgrade will be aborted and no files will be modified.

After installing the downgrade, there will be a "downgrade.txt" file in your internal memory, which contains a debug log. If the downgrader fails for any reason, this file may help me debug the issue. On success, you may simply delete the file.

An additional reboot is required after the downgrade. Once you're back in the main menu, hold the power button for 10s to reboot the device.

If you have one of the following Mods installed, uninstall them before downgrading:
  • ScreenSaver
  • HideLastPage
These mods modify files which cause the verification step to fail. You may reinstall them after the successful downgrade.

To undo the downgrade, run the regular Wifi updater again. It will redownload the 1.34US firmware update for you.

Warning: I can't guarantee it will work for you. Use at your own risk!

Last edited by frostschutz; 05-24-2013 at 04:39 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added a downgrade file for 1.29US, since asklepios reports that 1.32US doesn't provide the webbrowser either.

Edit: Updated the file for 1.29US.

Last edited by frostschutz; 05-05-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
asklepios
asklepios began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story HD
It seems that downgrade to 1.29 doesn't install well: after rebooting twice it shows release version 1.32 US in Device Information...
asklepios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User

Yes, the downgrade files verification failed (downgrade.txt hopefully should say so); my mistake. I updated the file.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
temp-au
temp-au began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd
The mod failed on my Story HD which is currently running release version 1.33AU (i.e. the Australian not US version).

Is there any way of getting back to an earlier version of the firmware in my case?
temp-au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp-au View Post
The mod failed on my Story HD which is currently running release version 1.33AU (i.e. the Australian not US version).
I'm glad I built in that verification step then... mixing AUS with US files might not be healthy - not sure how different those versions are. I don't have a full firmware file for AUS, only patches for 1.29 and 1.33. Thankfully all files changed in 1.33 were also changed in 1.29, so I could possibly build a 1.33AUS to 1.29AUS downgrade.

Is it the same problem (webbrowser disabled, and you want to use WebPortal)? Or do you want to downgrade for different reasons?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
temp-au

Yes, it is exactly the same problem: web browser disabled and want to use web portal.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
jimmetry
jimmetry began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Downgrade failed for me too.

Is there any chance of a mod that cancels the boot process and gives me a terminal prompt?
jimmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User

I'll see what I can do about downgrading AUS firmware, maybe this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmetry View Post
Is there any chance of a mod that cancels the boot process and gives me a terminal prompt?
Not to my knowledge. You can get a terminal prompt (telnet through wifi) after the device has finished booting up. Although I don't recommend it unless you really know what you're about - one mistake and the device is bricked.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
temp-au

Thank you. That is very much appreciated.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
jimmetry
jimmetry began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Code:
024582:src Jimmetry$ ping -c 3 192.168.43.124
PING 192.168.43.124 (192.168.43.124): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.43.124: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=209.478 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.43.124: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=107.725 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.43.124: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=162.755 ms

--- 192.168.43.124 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 107.725/159.986/209.478/41.587 ms
024582:src Jimmetry$ telnet 192.168.43.124
Trying 192.168.43.124...
Connected to 192.168.43.124.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
024582:src Jimmetry$
Any clues?
jimmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User

I added a downgrader for AUS firmware (use at your own risk).

@jimmetry: telnet was discussed in another thread here I believe, anyway it doesn't belong in this thread
Old 07-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #13
temp-au

Thanks, frostschutz.

That worked well.

Every time the Story HD updates its firmware automatically, I use your downgrader to return it to the old version.

Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User

Oh, yours updates automatically? That sucks.

On mine I specifically have to select the firmware updater from the setup...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
MarceloB
MarceloB began at the beginning.

Device: iriver StoryHD
Step-by-step for firmware downgrade?

Hi frostschutz,
I´m new here, I´ve been a user of iriver StoryHD a couple years, mine has the 1.34US firmware (after performing the upgrades, I realized that that was a mistake).
Now I would like to downgrade it so I can use your Webportal and explore other interesting options.
I downloaded the storyeb07-Downgrade_134US_to_129US.hex file, renamed it and copied it to the root of my StoryHD... but after several reboots, it remains the same 1.34US.
Am I missing any step?
Thanks in advance for your help!
MarceloB is offline   Reply With Quote