Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
U.S. libraries and Kindle books

Has something changed at U.S. libraries for Kindle ebooks? I just checked out three library ebooks (from the Brooklyn Public Library), and none of them were available in Kindle formats.

The publishers were Random House and Penguin.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Has something changed at U.S. libraries for Kindle ebooks? I just checked out three library ebooks (from the Brooklyn Public Library), and none of them were available in Kindle formats.

The publishers were Random House and Penguin.
I noticed earlier this year when I wanted to download Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light, it was available only in epub and OD formats. Well, I only noticed after I checked out the book. So I made a go of it reading it on my laptop. I gave up after about 50 pages. I checked back a few weeks later and the book was/is available in Kindle. I figured there must be some publishing deal to delay library availability in Kindle format? Are the 3 books you checked out new?

Are you referencing Overdrive btw? The above happened on OD and with two library systems.

Last edited by tdonline; 09-29-2020 at 11:41 AM.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I noticed that as well on a recent book, which I assumed was some sort of a glitch or oversight at the time.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
I’m a little obsessive in following my various libraries’ updates, so I get a lot of new-release books and yes, I’ve been seeing this for several months now. Typically if I check out a brand new book on the date of release there is no Kindle version but if I don’t download immediately and wait about 24 hours the Kindle version normally shows up for download. Even stranger is I’ve downloaded Kindle versions and when I look at my library checkout page later it shows as only ePub available, should I need to re-download. During lockdown I signed up for several more cards from my regional libraries and I see this happening across several different systems. Annoying, but for now the 24-hr wait is working for me.

ETA: I don’t think I’ve seen the issue at all when I check out a book that I’ve had a regular hold on.

Last edited by mitford13; 09-29-2020 at 03:09 PM.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was OD. And yes, they were new releases (released yesterday). It may be because they are new, but it seems to be happening more.

I've been borrowing older Dick Francis ebooks, and they don't have the Kindle option. The publisher is Penguin.

For example: https://brooklyn.overdrive.com/media/221949
Old 09-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I use both New York Public Library and Brooklyn Public Library. A few years ago, books published by Penguin and a few others were suddenly only available through Cloud Library, which could only be read on tablets.

BPL dropped Cloud Library very recently (no doubt to save money), leaving me with only NYPL as a source for those books unavailable through Overdrive. I thought I saw some books recently that I expected to find through Cloud Library but I could be mistaken. Perhaps there’s been a change back to Overdrive, but for NYPL, those books are still only available through Cloud Library or other tablet apps (NYPL also has something called Libby which can be used to access all books borrowed online.)

Unfortunately, most of BPL’s branches are closed due to Covid-19, and those that are open just have lobby pick-up, with no librarian in sight. I tried calling BPL on another matter last week, and it’s a long wait on hold and while the person is helpful, I doubt he was a librarian as opposed to clerical staff. Perhaps you might have better luck calling?
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I just checked BPL for a Penguin book (The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follett), and it is available in Overdrive, so if the book you want is not available, there’s hope for the future. I usually recommend any new book I’m interested in if it’s not listed, so that if they do acquire it in the future, I’m automatically on the wait list.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #8
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
I’m a little obsessive in following my various libraries’ updates, so I get a lot of new-release books and yes, I’ve been seeing this for several months now. Typically if I check out a brand new book on the date of release there is no Kindle version but if I don’t download immediately and wait about 24 hours the Kindle version normally shows up for download. Even stranger is I’ve downloaded Kindle versions and when I look at my library checkout page later it shows as only ePub available, should I need to re-download. During lockdown I signed up for several more cards from my regional libraries and I see this happening across several different systems. Annoying, but for now the 24-hr wait is working for me.

ETA: I don’t think I’ve seen the issue at all when I check out a book that I’ve had a regular hold on.
Good tip on the 24 hour wait. Is it 24 hours after notification the book is available to download?
Old 09-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #9
tdonline
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It was OD. And yes, they were new releases (released yesterday). It may be because they are new, but it seems to be happening more.

I've been borrowing older Dick Francis ebooks, and they don't have the Kindle option. The publisher is Penguin.

For example: https://brooklyn.overdrive.com/media/221949
Los Angeles has the book but not in Kindle. Think it's not likely a glitch but something to do with whatever the deal is with the publisher?
Old 09-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

The 3 ebooks in my first post are now available in Kindle format.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:37 PM   #11
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Good tip on the 24 hour wait. Is it 24 hours after notification the book is available to download?
Welllll, 24 hours is more like a rule of thumb I created for myself to stop from constantly refreshing the pages to see if things had updated...did I mention obsessive?
Basically, I’ve found the Kindle version available the next calendar day after checkout. Not foolproof though, I checked out four new releases yesterday, all initially available as ePub only, this morning three had kindle versions available to download but one is still only available as ePub right now.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I had one library book that "stuck" in my Kindle for PC cache after deleting it successfully from my Kindle (Amazon) and Overdrive accounts. Ended up downloading the Serna XML editor to delete the book (and cover) manually.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #13
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
I noticed earlier this year when I wanted to download Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light, it was available only in epub and OD formats. Well, I only noticed after I checked out the book. So I made a go of it reading it on my laptop. I gave up after about 50 pages. I checked back a few weeks later and the book was/is available in Kindle. I figured there must be some publishing deal to delay library availability in Kindle format? Are the 3 books you checked out new?

Are you referencing Overdrive btw? The above happened on OD and with two library systems.
This thread got me curious so checked out the Mantel book at my local library. It is available for epub, kindle & OD, audio book & CD audio.

The puzzling thing is for epub, kindle & OD, the page says to 'check out Overdrive'. & the main page says available to checkout Overdrive implying that I could not directly checkout the ebook with the library account?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote