Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
Alaxander609
Alaxander609 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
PW3 Went Dead - need to know the reasons !!!

Hi All,

My PW3 & 7thgen is 4 years old, I haven't used it for a year & had Battery Indication which I charged it for 20-30 mins & used for a day.

1. While side loading it got hung - Tried force boot but orange light blinks 4-5 times & then nothing. It shows as orange while charging , kept it for two days on charge still noting. I suspect battery

2. Also when side loading I deleted few books from document folder - what are the chances I deleted some system file & Kindle Bricked.

----

Now for battery I have teardown the kindle & removed the battery & performed the surgery to retain the battery controller - I m still to get the battery & put it behind the controller - Similar to what is shown below --

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274761

-------

Now can any one tell me what are the obvious causes ??

Any assistance would be appreciated. Please help a new member ...
Alaxander609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:27 AM   #2
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaxander609 View Post
Hi All,

My PW3 & 7thgen is 4 years old, I haven't used it for a year & had Battery Indication which I charged it for 20-30 mins & used for a day.
Sounds like typical low battery behavior to me. After you charged it for 20 minutes, did the battery indicator show a higher charge level than it did before?

Quote:
1. While side loading it got hung - Tried force boot but orange light blinks 4-5 times & then nothing.
Sounds like really dead battery behavior.
Quote:
It shows as orange while charging , kept it for two days on charge still noting. I suspect battery
Or a charger problem. You said it showed orange while charging. Did it ever turn green? (that indicates charging has completed)
Quote:
2. Also when side loading I deleted few books from document folder - what are the chances I deleted some system file & Kindle Bricked.
The chances are about zero, if you were in the document folder.
Quote:
Now for battery I have teardown the kindle & removed the battery & performed the surgery to retain the battery controller
You are committed now. I hope the battery replacement works. If it doesn't, you will probably never know if the final cause of death was the original problem, or a new problem caused by the surgery. I would have tried a different charger and different cable before hitting it with the scalpel myself.

Good luck! I have no experience with battery replacement to offer any help in that department.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
Alaxander609

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Sounds like typical low battery behavior to me. After you charged it for 20 minutes, did the battery indicator show a higher charge level than it did before?

Sounds like really dead battery behavior.

Or a charger problem. You said it showed orange while charging. Did it ever turn green? (that indicates charging has completed)

The chances are about zero, if you were in the document folder.

You are committed now. I hope the battery replacement works. If it doesn't, you will probably never know if the final cause of death was the original problem, or a new problem caused by the surgery. I would have tried a different charger and different cable before hitting it with the scalpel myself.

Good luck! I have no experience with battery replacement to offer any help in that department.
Hi, Thanks for replying, I have tried different chargers different cables & charged the kindle after dead for 4 days i.e. 2 days each set of different cables & power source. Connected to laptop, via power bank & wall outlet. It just shows orange led as charging - never changed to GREEN.

Tried freezing it for 2 hrs & charged it for 2 hrs still nothing. Agains same orange led.

I m sure if its a battery - it will get resolved with battery being replaced.

Only thing which is bugging me - I m not entirely confident if I deleted something from root as I was working late that night & was kinda sleepy, when loading manga to kindle..

What are possibility kindle won't boot up due to missing files from root ? If its true I screwed up the battery ...
Old 01-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
My Oasis 3 battery completely died on me for some reason last week. It would not switch to green, I had to look online for advice with a fully dead battery. I held the power button down for 40 sec with it on a wall charger, then it flashed to green, then orange again, but resumed charging after I did that. You have probably tried this, but just in case...
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
Alaxander609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
My Oasis 3 battery completely died on me for some reason last week. It would not switch to green, I had to look online for advice with a fully dead battery. I held the power button down for 40 sec with it on a wall charger, then it flashed to green, then orange again, but resumed charging after I did that. You have probably tried this, but just in case...
Yes I did, it will only go orange blinking 5 times again back to orange.
Advert
Old 01-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #6
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Only thing which is bugging me - I m not entirely confident if I deleted something from root as I was working late that night & was kinda sleepy, when loading manga to kindle..

What are possibility kindle won't boot up due to missing files from root ? If its true I screwed up the battery ...
Is it jailbroken? If not, it should be fine. If the book files are somehow corrupted, you can do a factory reset and then reload them.

If it is jailbroken, then how could we possibly guess whether or not you deleted some key part of the OS?
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:57 PM   #7
Alaxander609

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
Is it jailbroken? If not, it should be fine. If the book files are somehow corrupted, you can do a factory reset and then reload them.

If it is jailbroken, then how could we possibly guess whether or not you deleted some key part of the OS?
Thanks bro - you are music to my ears ... it is not jailbroken. Then it def battery issue. My Cheap Lipo battery would reach me in next 5 days - I will post the results of the battery surgery here.. thanks again for confirming
Old 01-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Since you tested other chargers, it's more sounding like a battery problem now. You said you froze the thing? You can destroy an LCD screen doing that. I don't know about an eInk screen though. Those may be more tolerant of freezing, I don't know.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Another trick I've seen is to connect the kindle to a wall charger (NOT to a computer) for a few days, because it gets a higher level of power from the wall.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Since you tested other chargers, it's more sounding like a battery problem now. You said you froze the thing? You can destroy an LCD screen doing that. I don't know about an eInk screen though. Those may be more tolerant of freezing, I don't know.
eInk screens are normally "frozen". Power is needed when making changes but when displaying static content no power is needed. When I pulled the battery from one of my ereader collection, what was on the screen remained there for at least 6 months until the replacement battery arrived and for I got around to installing it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #11
Alaxander609

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
eInk screens are normally "frozen". Power is needed when making changes but when displaying static content no power is needed. When I pulled the battery from one of my ereader collection, what was on the screen remained there for at least 6 months until the replacement battery arrived and for I got around to installing it.
Yes that what is my understanding, Freezing the kindle to get the battery to work with idle juice, but it didn't work.

Also I tried with 12 V fas charger for 2 days - seems like battery died to me...

Only doubt I had did I delete any OS files which don't seems to be possible in NON Jailbroken device
Old 01-25-2021, 05:13 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
knc1, one of the top experts in the Kindle Developers Corner, over multiple years, recommended freezing for kindles that refused to take a charge. People usually reported back that that did the trick.

It would probably be bad idea to wake the kindle up while frozen, and worse to try to get the screen to change.

Quote:
You know very well that the black and white spheres in e-ink are suspended in a liquid and that the reason the screen doesn't change unless power is applied is because the display is bi-stable. The recommendation to freeze is to literally put it in a freezer (after wrapping it in something dry).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You know very well that the black and white spheres in e-ink are suspended in a liquid and that the reason the screen doesn't change unless power is applied is because the display is bi-stable. The recommendation to freeze is to literally put it in a freezer (after wrapping it in something dry).
Unlike water, the liquid in the capsules or cups does not expand enthusiastically as the temperature drops so the chances of rupturing a capsule are pretty low. However, the viscosity of the liquid does increase which makes it almost impossible to change the display at lower temperatures. The last datasheet I looked at gave -25°C as the low storage temperature which is bit colder than most people's freezers unless you happen to be storing Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine. I did chill one ereader to 1°C and the display was extremely slow to change.

And yes, I do know that eInk screens are bistable. OTOH, I have seem quite a few posts from people who seem to think their screen is frozen since it doesn't change despite the battery being dead and/or removed.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:23 AM   #14
Alaxander609

Quote:
Unlike water, the liquid in the capsules or cups does not expand enthusiastically as the temperature drops so the chances of rupturing a capsule are pretty low. However, the viscosity of the liquid does increase which makes it almost impossible to change the display at lower temperatures. The last datasheet I looked at gave -25°C as the low storage temperature which is bit colder than most people's freezers unless you happen to be storing Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine. I did chill one ereader to 1°C and the display was extremely slow to change.

And yes, I do know that eInk screens are bistable. OTOH, I have seem quite a few posts from people who seem to think their screen is frozen since it doesn't change despite the battery being dead and/or removed.

So what are ur thoughts on the issue ? Battery is problematic. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
So what are ur thoughts on the issue ? Battery is problematic. ?
I don't have enough information though what you've posted does suggest the battery/power is working. If your Kindle was not jailbroken, you should not have been able to delete any files that would keep it from booting. I'm going to assume that you went through all the hold the power button, etc. procedures and opened the Kindle and disconnected the battery from the motherboard for 30 seconds or so.

At this point, you have little to lose by replacing the battery.