Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #31
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I wouldn't say that it traumatized me but it sure scared the heck out of me: The Exorcist by Blatty. I couldn't stop until I finished it which was about 3 AM.
I read this at 12, and heck yeah, it scared the heck out of me. My friend and I went to see the movie and laughed through most of it. Hollywood of the time could not come CLOSE to our imaginations.

I didn't list this at first because I was trying to think of something from a younger age. But this is the one that keeps coming to mind when I see this thread.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #32
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Thinking back, the first book that disturbed me was "Helter Skelter" which is about the Manson family trial, which I read when I was about 16. I think up until that time, I didn't realize just how terrible some people could be in real life. To put this into perspective, I was reading books like The Exorcist at that point and while scary, it was fiction.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #33
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Reading Black Beauty was also traumatic--again, even in a child's picture book version. When I read the full story some years later, I was retraumatized; some scenes are still in my head all this time later.
Oh gosh yes. I read a bunch of Stephen King as a child, but that stable fire in Black Beauty nearly broke me. That and The Little Match Girl (I had a large-format illustrated hardback).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #34
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Thinking back, the first book that disturbed me was "Helter Skelter" which is about the Manson family trial, which I read when I was about 16. I think up until that time, I didn't realize just how terrible some people could be in real life. To put this into perspective, I was reading books like The Exorcist at that point and while scary, it was fiction.

I was forever clueless in grade school, junior high, and high school. During the Manson trials or leading up to them there was a girl in my history class and the teacher was always letting her skip classes and not do homework and he'd say vague things about the hard time she was going through. Turned out that she was Sharon Tate's younger sister. I still wonder if I was the only one who had no clue.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I was forever clueless in grade school, junior high, and high school. During the Manson trials or leading up to them there was a girl in my history class and the teacher was always letting her skip classes and not do homework and he'd say vague things about the hard time she was going through. Turned out that she was Sharon Tate's younger sister. I still wonder if I was the only one who had no clue.
I was living in California when the Manson Murders happened. I still remember hearing and seeing details and everyone I new followed the trial. I also remember how small he appeared to be, in photos and news reels, when compared to the people surrounding him.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #36
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kafka, Metamorphosis. I've read a lot of Kafka since then, and think he's a genuinely exceptional voice. But Metamorphosis! The idea of waking up and finding that you'd turned into a giant bug! Absolutely terrifying. I've never gone back to it.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a feeling that I would probably give up reading if I had to completely read Finnegans Wake by James Joyce.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #38
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Uels' avatar (see post #29) would have scared me as a kid!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:37 PM   #39
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Definitely Hans Christian Andersen when I was little. I was a teenager when The Exorcist came out, so stupidly tried to read it. A few scenes in, I was convinced that my dresser would start shaking every time I turned my light out. That was it for me - I’ve never picked up another horror book.

But I had free reign to read whatever was in the house as a child and read many adult books. I remember trying to puzzle out Of Human Bondage when I was nine or ten, and having to go to my mother with various questions about relationships. I’m grateful to them for that.

Last edited by Victoria; 02-25-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:28 AM   #40
thniels
thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: BN Nook + Tolino Shine 3 + Tolino Vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
Kafka, Metamorphosis.
Ah, that reminds me of another book from my early childhood. I didn't read it myself then but we had it read out loud in class by a school teacher (in math, actually). A Danish author, Villy Sørensen, who was heavily inspired by Franz Kafka. The story (Blot en drengestreg / Just mischief) is about two young boys who amputate the leg of a third, younger boy because he has bruised his shin. As one of the boys' uncle had died from blood poisoning allegedly caused by germs, they decide to save the poor kid and attempt to cut off his leg with a hobby saw. It is absolutely horrendously bloody and may appear to be a poor choice of reading for 9-10 year old school kids but Villy Sørensen and this anthology in particular, did become a mainstay in our bookshelves. I must admit, though, that it did paint some vivid pictures in my mind's eye at the time.
thniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:06 AM   #41
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I read Edgar Hilsenrath "Nacht" ("Night") when I was 14. It's about a 15 year old boy (Hilsenrath's alter ego) living in a Rumanian ghetto. People did unspeakable things to survive and so does the boy.

I never forgot this book. When my literary group wanted to read it about a decade ago (I am 56 now, so I would have been in my mid-40s) I wasn't able to participate. The thought of re-living all the horrors was still anbearable. And I only read about it in a book...

Yet, Hilsenrath who had lived and endured all of it was said to be a shy, soft spoken, friendly man. I wonder how he did this.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #42
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I read both It and Handmaid's Tale when I was around 12 but it was a book about a dollhouse I read several years earlier that tramuatized me. I think there were bad mice, if I recall. LOL. That disturbed me for some reason. I read the original Grimm's and the Greek Myths at a really young age without freaking out.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #43
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
I don't remember exactly how old I was, maybe 10 or 12, and I picked up a book of short stories by Edgar Allen Poe. "The Monkey's Paw" scared the bejeepers out of me and it was a long time before I made another wish

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #44
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't recall any books scaring me when I was young. I do remember being disturbed by The Pearl when I was 13 or so. Never really got over it...

I read Helter Skelter when I was 14 or so. It was certainly appalling, but I think at that age I was very removed from that kind of horror, and hadn't seen enough of the real world yet to really get it.

As an adult, it's much harder for me to read such things. I had to put For a Song and a Hundred Songs: A Poet's Journey Through a Chinese Prison aside because it was so brutal.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #45
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Oh my. Ghost stories of an Antiquary had me hiding under the bedclothes.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01KDA using Tapatalk
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote