Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #5431
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I wouldn't have gone for it if I hadn't already spent £5 on ebooks that happened to be inside the time period.

Note that the credit doesn't need to be spent all in one go. Since mine will be valid until 26th December, I expect that I'll buy three £0.99 daily deals. But if nothing comes up in the time, there are lots of £2.99 books on my wish list that are unlikely to be discounted any time soon.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #5432
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I bought one 0.99 deal that was already on my wishlist. No other purchases since my return to the support group.

I had cancelled KU, but got an offer for a two-month "come back!" trial. I took it then immediately cancelled so that it will not auto-renew when the time is up. There are a couple of in-progress series that I want to get back to on there so I'm going to use the time for that. And if I don't, well, it didn't cost me anything so I'm good.

Which brings me to my next thing - I've decided to use my library only for other in-progress series for the time being. Part of my reading goals next year is to finally knock out some of those series.

And the other part of my reading goals for next year is to read books I already have, which I've already started doing.

I won't pat myself on the back just yet. It's early days. Very early.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2020, 04:37 AM   #5433
Camellia
She / Her
Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'm feeling proud of myself! The only book I bought this month was Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson, which I had already pre-ordered and immediately began reading, to boot!

We do not speak of last month.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:21 AM   #5434
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Well, if we’re patting ourselves on the back....

I’ve bought one book this month; I had a $5 Kindle coupon which I put toward a wishlist book which was on sale at $7. I resisted the targeted $5 Kindle coupon for a specific wishlist book as it would still have cost me $10, and I’m continuing to resist the current spend $XX, get $YY promotion.

November, knock wood, will be my best month this year. Less than four days to go.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #5435
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Best of luck!

I'm rather pleased with myself this year. After an admittedly dreadful January (only eight books, but £25.79!), I really restrained myself, and I've only added 70 books to my TBR pile this year so far (61 bought, nine freebies)

I'll be buying some books in December, as I have a £3 credit to spend. But I'll be waiting for things on my wishlist to go on offer. I expect that at least three will go to £0.99 during December.
Advert
Old 11-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #5436
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Was doing well early in the month, then crashed again. Taking advantage of sale prices to complete or substantially complete several series. They do mount up though both in total cost and TBR. On the plus side, these aren't random purchases but specific for series already started.

I've been doing well on audiobooks though. 3 new ones in November not yet heard. Should be able to get at least one of them listened before end of month.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-27-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #5437
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Well, a StoryBundle of 98 books has blown my good intentions out of the water. I might count it as one purchase.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #5438
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Well, a StoryBundle of 98 books has blown my good intentions out of the water. I might count it as one purchase.
I admit I laughed. And so close to the end of the year, too. Better get cracking! The downside of counting it as one purchase is that it’s one heck of a long read before you can cross it off.

As for the accounting, you do what you have to do. In my own case, I postponed a purchase until December 1 in order to log only one purchase in November, my only one-book month this year.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #5439
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Listing it as a bundle for now is fine if it helps! I haven't split off omnibus' volumes yet. I don't think I can handle that revised total especially since I keep finding books not included in original total.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #5440
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Personally when buying a bundle I count the books that convinced me to buy at that price. (ie I'd have spent that money just to get x, y, and z so they count towards my purchases; I'd not have spent money just to get a-w so they don't count)
ekbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #5441
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
Personally when buying a bundle I count the books that convinced me to buy at that price. (ie I'd have spent that money just to get x, y, and z so they count towards my purchases; I'd not have spent money just to get a-w so they don't count)
I've always done that with game purchases. Bundles inflate my Steam library fast. But when I buy a bundle of 10 games that costs less than what I would have paid to get the one game I actually wanted out of that bundle, I don't feel at all bad about maybe never playing the other 9.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:24 AM   #5442
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Thumbs up Year-end reckoning

The blunt and embarrassing truth is that I managed to reduce my TBR by only 20 books.

I’d started the year well, with a goal of reading everything I bought and was gangbusters into April, when I lost the impetus. And of course part of the point was not just to read the books, but also to put a brake on purchases if I didn’t see myself reading them this year. Fail.

In addition, after an excellent November when I bought only one book and skated through most of December with only two purchases, one cheap and one free, I was seduced by coupons in the last few days and bought three more books, not cheap.

So, time to muster my wits and regroup for the new year. I want both to buy fewer books and spend less, but my goal has no specific numbers attached to it. I will try again for the goal of reading everything I buy, yet knowing that I’m bound to fail as I’ll let myself buy a colossal bargain from my wishlist. I’m hoping that this coming year I’ll be able to dust myself off after a slip and recommit.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #5443
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've had my best year ever, from a TBR point of view.

This has been helped by giving up my magazine subscriptions. They were expensive (compared to what I usually buy), but more importantly, I find I prefer longer stories to short stories. But if I hadn't accidentally missed one issue, I probably would still be buying them. It's strangely hard to stop subscribing when you've been reading the magazine for more than a decade.

But with 2021 only hours away, I think I can give some totals:

ebooks bought: 68. This is far lower than 2019 (166), 2018 (194) and, indeed, any previous year back to when I started keeping track in 2010 or so.

Books read: 158.

There are also some freebies acquired, and some books discarded.

The upshot is that I expect my TBR to be by reduced by 117 books this year!

I will start 2021 with 901 books on my TBR pile.

I have almost entirely kept to buying ebooks on my wish list. I'm happy with the vast majority of my purchases. And I've read most of them, too. I have only acquired (bought or freebies) 30 books this year that remain unread at the end of the year. And most of them are parts of series that I haven't got to yet.

I hope to do just as well or better in 2021.

Happy New Year!

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-31-2020 at 01:51 PM. Reason: edited to fix up numbers.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #5444
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
After my big bundle purchase at the start of December put my target out of reach, I kind of went off the rails a bit and ended the year quite badly. This was partly because I got an Amazon voucher from work in lieu of a Christmas party, partly because of another "spend £10 get £3" offer, and partly to cheat and get ahead of next year's target.

I might just about have ended up reading more than I bought if I use the new bundle accounting system I came up with (count it as 1 purchase per £1, with the rest as freebies, so my 96 book storybundle would count as 24 purchases (I think) and 72 freebies - I think that roughly approximates my thinking when making the decision to buy). I'm not sure. It's probably quite close.

My overall TBR is way up because I picked up a lot of freebies this year.

I'm not unhappy with my purchases, though. I don't feel they were out of control. Even the big bundle was an area where my library was weak.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:13 AM   #5445
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Happy New Year!

I can’t resist a compare/contrast with Paul, especially since we read virtually an identical number of books. I bought 39 books and read 17 of them and 59 owned books in total. The discrepancy is because slightly over a third of my read books come from my TBR; about a third are audiobooks which I don’t count as TBR and a third are pd/library.

The 39 books I bought represent my third lowest year, after 2017 and 2018. It’s more than 25% fewer than last year, so that at least was a significant improvement.