Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-14-2020, 12:55 AM   #1
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Amazon: $5 eBook Credit When you Order eBook Through Alexa (Works On Free eBook)

Quote:
Amazon: $5 eBook Credit When you Order eBook Through Alexa (Works On Free eBook)
November 12, 2020, by William Charles

Update 11/12/20: This works when ordering a free eBook. You can use the command ‘Alexa, I want to buy Melt Steel Brothers Saga Book 4’ to order a free eBook and get $5 credit. Hat tip to reader MB
See details and comments at the source post.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Thanks! Worked for me!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I guess it's some compensation for the loss of privacy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Wow. I hope they bring this offer to the UK!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
You can cut to the chase and order any ebook through Alexa and get the $5 credit on that purchase. No need to jump through the “free book” hoop first, if you know what you’ll use it on already.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Well, since the T&Cs in the OP's linked post say this is only good on orders placed with Echo devices, and not Alexa via the Amazon app, maybe I'll actually find and set up the old Echo I got really cheap with some offer a while back .

I did set up the Amazon Alexa app on my Android phone a while back for some other Alexa offer and am bummed they won't let me use that, but I guess they want me even deeper in their ecosystem. Which won't work too well, I suspect, since I'll likely disconnect the Echo after the offer, but WTH, we'll see...maybe I'll fall in love with it...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You can cut to the chase and order any ebook through Alexa and get the $5 credit on that purchase. No need to jump through the “free book” hoop first, if you know what you’ll use it on already.
Oh, if you're going to buy one anyway, then that's fine. But I do like the idea of completely 'free' credits.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Didn't work for me. Oh well, worth a try.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Alexa is stupid. I am trying to order an e-book; I give Alexa the title and author, and Alexa either can't find it at all or offers me the Audible version. This is ridiculous; Alexa clearly understands what I'm saying still can't find the e-book.

P.S. Finally got through to Alexa's pea brain by using only the title, not adding the author's name. Ordered the book. How do I know if I got the $5 credit? Was there supposed to be immediate feedback?

Last edited by Catlady; 11-14-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: P.S.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #10
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
How do I know if I got the $5 credit? Was there supposed to be immediate feedback?
I gave it a few minutes after ording my free mystery, then went to my "Too Expensive" wish list, and picked a book on there and went to the main page. The discount showed up in the upper right corner, showing the purchase price after the discount.

But it didn't show up under "Gift card" or see balance.

I had voice ordering over Alexa turned off, so had to go into the iPhone app and turn it on. Turned it back off right after ordering the free book, since I have a grandaughter named Alexa, and there's no telling what I'd end up ordering just talking about her.

(I'd name it Computer, but the room is full of computers, and we watch computer tech shows all the time. And we already have an Echo in the room...)
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:28 AM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Got it with free book. Showed up when selecting a book about 1/2 hour later. I also had some credit left from an Amazon purchase (sometimes they give you $2-3 credit if you take a slow ship option). So, I bought the Knights Templar Collection 2 for free since it was still on sale and used the rest on a Chronicles of St Mary's short I didn't have.

Bought a free book on my brother's account. Will see if he gets the same deal as we have linked households.

edited to add: Did not work on my brother's account which is an attached household account.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-15-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Wow.. this is super annoying. Alexa couldn't find the book I wanted and I gave up after a half dozen failures.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Wow.. this is super annoying. Alexa couldn't find the book I wanted and I gave up after a half dozen failures.
Did you try giving only the title ("Buy TITLE on Kindle")? As I mentioned upthread, I kept giving the title and author (thinking that more specificity would be a good thing), but that was too confusing for Alexa; she finally got the right book from just the title. Of course, at the end of all the frustration, though I got the right book, I didn't get the $5 credit.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
If you’re getting the credit, Alexa tells you before you finalize the purchase. Something along the lines of, “Purchasing X Book for $Y after a $5 credit.” She says this even if you’re going the free book to claim the credit route.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #15
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Did you try giving only the title ("Buy TITLE on Kindle")? As I mentioned upthread, I kept giving the title and author (thinking that more specificity would be a good thing), but that was too confusing for Alexa; she finally got the right book from just the title. Of course, at the end of all the frustration, though I got the right book, I didn't get the $5 credit.
Yes I tried it exactly that way and several other ways. Oddly, it did manage to find the rather expensive paperback version but never found it on kindle.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote