Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Calibre 4 viewer thoughts

Once I'd managed to find the controls and set everything up the new version is fine and preferred.

However whilst I'm sure the answer is read the manual from cover to cover many of us don't.

For me the biggest problem was I routinely strip out the font information. A serif font such as Times Roman is fine on paper with 300-600 dpi or better but desktop computer screens have much lower resolution and sans serif fonts such as Verdana are easier to read. Most authors though still set their ebooks up in a serif font as if it was paper.

The old version once the font information had been removed displayed the text in the view in a sans serif font. Suddenly the new version uses a serif font.

Could a warning come up when it starts up for the first time or when the default typefaces haven't been set that they should be set. Or if not make the default for a stripped font a sans serif font such as Verdana?

The other item that really hit hard was the loss of the table of contents. For many books it doesn't matter that much but for some documents it suddenly means you can't find the chapter that deals with a particular aspect and not being able to find how to find the table of contents easily on something you depend on is not nice.

Many Thanks

John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To get the ToC sidebar press Ctrl+t, press Ctrl+t again to dismiss it.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
The old version once the font information had been removed displayed the text in the view in a sans serif font. Suddenly the new version uses a serif font.
Well, I don't see the problem here. You can go to Preferences > Fonts and choose your Default font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
The other item that really hit hard was the loss of the table of contents.
No loss there. CTRL+T will give you the TOC. Or, press ESC to bring controls in and click on TC.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #4
kim67255
kim67255 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Is there anyway to get the page numbers back on the cover page? I group my books by page number. This really stinks. I just don't like this new version. I've played with it a little. But, I'm no software engineer so a lot of this is over my head. I miss the side bar so I can change font size. I found where I can do that now though.

What about page numbers. I really need that. Is there a way to go back to 3.0 version?
kim67255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Well, I don't see the problem here. You can go to Preferences > Fonts and choose your Default font.

No loss there. CTRL+T will give you the TOC. Or, press ESC to bring controls in and click on TC.
The problem is for the average end user who may not know the magic keystrokes. They are presented with a screen full of text and no menu to navigate.

Cheerio John
Advert
Old 10-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
johnwhelan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
To get the ToC sidebar press Ctrl+t, press Ctrl+t again to dismiss it.

BR
Thank you.

Cheerio John