Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Thanks.

You didn't add (as a wish from this thread)

- Default sort order when selecting a grouping

Is that because you already added it to 3.3.0.g?
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
Thanks.

You didn't add (as a wish from this thread)

- Default sort order when selecting a grouping

Is that because you already added it to 3.3.0.g?
Turns out that I missed a few.

It is so tempting and so easy to keep adding stuff during this prerelease cycle, but that would be a large mistake. I have probably done too much as it is. Problems: I start making mistakes by doing things "fast" instead of carefully, and the prerelease community runs out of energy and time.

Also, sometimes several different requests turn out to be small variants on the same theme, often something that we notice after someone proposes "bridging" two features. The only way this will happen is to give time for the ideas to simmer, which is another reason I need to step back for a while.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just so we are clear, I was just kidding. Before you started this Wish list thread, I was referencing 3.4 in my threads.

You have added a ton of great stuff to 3.3.0 and I am looking forward to the release. I introduced a friend to CC and he is really jealous of my early releases.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just so we are clear, I was just kidding. Before you started this Wish list thread, I was referencing 3.4 in my threads.

You have added a ton of great stuff to 3.3.0 and I am looking forward to the release. I introduced a friend to CC and he is really jealous of my early releases.
Yea, I knew.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Wish list items from this thread:
  • Optionally hide sorts that are never used.
I requested this, but if you do this

Quote:
Wish list items from this thread:
  • Optionally sort the book list/grid when picking a group, e.g., if you pick a series switch to series sort, if you pick an author switch to title sort. Both whether to sort and the type of sort should be user specifiable.
Then I would probably just move the sort to the menu and never use it again. At which time I don't care what it shows.

Now, if you are in the mood to hide stuff, I wouldn't mind:
  • Optionally hide Top-Level Groupings that are never used.
  • Optionally hide "Group by first letters" checkbox in grouping drawer.

The only time I ever turn off group by first letters is when I hit it by accident.
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #21
Linwe
Enthusiast
Linwe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Kindle 4
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, so I figure (hope) this is the right place to request it.

First, I adore calibre and was extremely glad to find the companion app since it makes reading and adding my fanfics and various novels so much easier. Fanfiction reading especially is quick and ever-changing, and selecting one book and deleting it is a little tedious. It's more frustrating if the book is in the middle of the pack and I have to scroll all the back to the middle for the next deletion.

My first request is this: a mass select-and-delete option. My second request deals with the viewing of books with multiple formats in CC. Is it possible to just have one "book" in the gallery and when you open the file to read the book you can view what formats are available? Something like how CC operates when its connected to the content server and the option it gives you to download/read a book from the little drop-down menu at the top. It'd be easier to scroll through CC with only one book than to see doubles of everything that has both a mobi & epub version.

Last edited by Linwe; 03-31-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added second wish
Linwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwe View Post
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, so I figure (hope) this is the right place to request it.
It is.
Quote:
First, I adore calibre and was extremely glad to find the companion app since it makes reading and adding my fanfics and various novels so much easier. Fanfiction reading especially is quick and ever-changing, and selecting one book and deleting it is a little tedious. It's more frustrating if the book is in the middle of the pack and I have to scroll all the back to the middle for the next deletion.

My first request is this: a mass select-and-delete option.
First, you can delete in bulk easily when connected to calibre as a wireless device. Run a search in the library view for the books you want to delete, something like "ondevice:true and tags:???", select the books, then hit the delete button. When prompted, push the "delete from device" button.

If your search for what to delete is based on tags then you might be able to do the search directly in the device view.

OK, to your suggestion: how do you see it working? Do you want to delete all the books in the displayed list? For example, do a search or group on something, then delete all the displayed books?

Do you want to "mark" each book somehow and then deleting all marked? I am not sure I see the difference between selecting a book and going to book details to delete it. Ahhh, I see, there is a bug here. The booklist is positioned to the beginning when a book is deleted. I will fix that so that the booklist is positioned approximately where it was. Does that solve your problem?
Quote:
My second request deals with the viewing of books with multiple formats in CC. Is it possible to just have one "book" in the gallery and when you open the file to read the book you can view what formats are available? Something like how CC operates when its connected to the content server and the option it gives you to download/read a book from the little drop-down menu at the top. It'd be easier to scroll through CC with only one book than to see doubles of everything that has both a mobi & epub version.
Unfortunately this isn't possible, or at least not possible in reasonable development time. Calibre's device subsystem is built around the idea that a format (book type) is a file, and that formats are independent of each other. When we first built CC we tried to use the UUID (unique book id) as the identifier. We went down a rabbit hole trying to maintain a map between the "device view" of the books in CC and the "book view" that you are asking for. All sorts of things went wrong. I tried again when I added the metadata cache optimization, and I failed to make it reliable.

Out of curiosity, why do you have multiple formats of the same book on the device?

One thing that might help: create a "formats" custom column and add that column to CC's grouping drawer. Once you do that you can ask to see books containing one format or the other. A long press on a format name (e.g., epub) would do the equivalent of creating a virtual library containing only that format.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #23
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

V3.3.4, released today, has the change to not reset the book list position to the top when a book is deleted.

The main reason for the release was to try harder to tell CC users that Android 4.4 (KitKat) has broken libraries on SD cards, but this change sneaked in as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #24
Linwe
Enthusiast
Linwe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Kindle 4
Quote:
First, you can delete in bulk easily when connected to calibre as a wireless device.
Yup, I often do that when I'm "cleaning" or updating, but I'm not always attached to my computer when I'm removing books from my device, and I'll be going on an overseas vacation soon without/minimal access to my computer.

If your search for what to delete is based on tags then you might be able to do the search directly in the device view.

Quote:
OK, to your suggestion: how do you see it working? Do you want to delete all the books in the displayed list? For example, do a search or group on something, then delete all the displayed books?

Do you want to "mark" each book somehow and then deleting all marked?
Any of that sounds good to me. Marking might be closer to what I was thinking of, since a group search might have to span multiple categories or at least select parts of a group/category.

Quote:
Ahhh, I see, there is a bug here. The booklist is positioned to the beginning when a book is deleted. I will fix that so that the booklist is positioned approximately where it was. Does that solve your problem?
YES! Thank you!

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why do you have multiple formats of the same book on the device?
I have a couple of fanfics where the authors have "revised" their works from the very beginning so really one version is the original and the other is the new version. "Fading Lights" is the first to come to mind; the old has 10+ chapters, the new has 3, and I like to flip between the differences so far. One of my quirks. I also find some formats look better depending on the app used to read them, but that's mostly just how calibre formats the original pulled from online.

Quote:
One thing that might help: create a "formats" custom column and add that column to CC's grouping drawer.
Will definitely look into doing that, sounds like a much easier option to deal with.

P.S. - my greatest downside is probably that I'm using a Kindle (Fire HDX), so updates look like they'll be a little delayed for me.

Last edited by Linwe; 04-02-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Linwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwe View Post
P.S. - my greatest downside is probably that I'm using a Kindle (Fire HDX), so updates look like they'll be a little delayed for me.
CC V3.3.4 was released to Amazon today, so it should be available soon.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Any chance we'll ever see groups behave like tags in Calibre's tag browser where you click once to select a tag (+) and click a second time will exclude that tag (-)? It's not really any kind of issue or anything, just something I use in Calibre from time to time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #27
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Any chance we'll ever see groups behave like tags in Calibre's tag browser where you click once to select a tag (+) and click a second time will exclude that tag (-)? It's not really any kind of issue or anything, just something I use in Calibre from time to time.
Already there. Just press and hold.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #28
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
As kaufman said, you can do it now with a long press. However, I do recognize that the long press technique is actually doing something a bit different, similar to creating a virtual library.

I will add tap sequencing through "match" and "not match" to the wish list. The first tap on a group will be "match" (as today). Tapping the same item would change to "not match".
Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #29
kaufman

After accidentally hitting it for the umpteenth time, I have a small request to add to the wish list.

Would you consider adding an option to the grouping menu to hide the "First letter grouping" checkbox from the grouping drawer? I never turn it off intentionally, but i do hit it by accident more often then I care to admit.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #30
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
After accidentally hitting it for the umpteenth time, I have a small request to add to the wish list.

Would you consider adding an option to the grouping menu to hide the "First letter grouping" checkbox from the grouping drawer? I never turn it off intentionally, but i do hit it by accident more often then I care to admit.
It is already there, 7th item in the first group.