Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
ash-f
ash-f began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Only in epub2 books. If you compile an epub3 book with NAV and NCX TOCs with KindleGen, it'll use the NAV TOC to generate the logical TOC.

@ash-f Maybe your book is missing the HTML TOC guide/landmarks entry. Try opening your book with Kindle Previewer, if the HTML TOC guide/landmarks entry is missing, the Table of Contents entry will be greyed out.
It has both html and ncx.
And toc is shown correctly on Kindle Previewer and all platforms except iOS.
ash-f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #17
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
How are you transferring the book to iOS?

I always use KindleGen (which is embedded in Kindle Previewer) to convert epub to mobi (which contains both azw3/kf8 and old mobi format, not sure about azk). Then I use Send to Kindle app to transfer mobi to iOS, and I always get a logical TOC.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #18
ash-f

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post

I always use KindleGen (which is embedded in Kindle Previewer) to convert epub to mobi (which contains both azw3/kf8 and old mobi format, not sure about azk). Then I use Send to Kindle app to transfer mobi to iOS, and I always get a logical TOC.
Hmm Kindle iOS can handle mobi files..?
I thought it handles only azk.
I export azk from Kindle Previewer and then transfer it to iOS using iTunes' file sharing feature.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #19
ash-f

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post

Wow, transferring mobi worked! now iOS shows toc correctly.
So I should never use azk?
I've heard that file format for iOS should be azk before.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #20
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash-f View Post
Wow, transferring mobi worked! now iOS shows toc correctly.
So I should never use azk?
I've heard that file format for iOS should be azk before.
When a Master MOBI is transferred to the iOS app the older MOBI-7 part of the file is used and the KF8 portion is ignored. To see KF8 formatting you need to sideload an AZK file.

I played around with AZK a while ago and I found the azkcreator included in the Kindle Previewer to be quite buggy. I did testing on the files it produces and found some serious problems:
  • AZK creation loses styles declared in the HTML head element. They are replaced with a link to a missing stylesheet.
  • AZK does not contain page numbers.
  • AZK has a link to the content TOC in the guide instead of including the original NCX TOC.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
ash-f

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
When a Master MOBI is transferred to the iOS app the older MOBI-7 part of the file is used and the KF8 portion is ignored. To see KF8 formatting you need to sideload an AZK file.

I played around with AZK a while ago and I found the azkcreator included in the Kindle Previewer to be quite buggy. I did testing on the files it produces and found some serious problems:
  • AZK creation loses styles declared in the HTML head element. They are replaced with a link to a missing stylesheet.
  • AZK does not contain page numbers.
  • AZK has a link to the content TOC in the guide instead of including the original NCX TOC.
I see, toc is shown with mobi file but but other problem happens.
Styling/formatting by css is not working properly.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
When KF8 was released by Amazon it was not supported in the iOS app, possibly due to Apple's restrictions on HTML rendering software. (KF8 is based on an outdated version of Webkit.)

The iOS app instead uses the web-based KCR (Kindle Cloud Reader) renderer. AZK format was developed as a means to sideload KCR content into the iOS app for testing.

AZK is pretty much useless at this point. Most books that are properly coded will end up supporting enhanced typesetting and will be delivered to the iOS app in the newer KFX format. For those books sideloading AZK does not reflect how the book will actually appear in that app when published.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #23
ash-f

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
When KF8 was released by Amazon it was not supported in the iOS app, possibly due to Apple's restrictions on HTML rendering software. (KF8 is based on an outdated version of Webkit.)

The iOS app instead uses the web-based KCR (Kindle Cloud Reader) renderer. AZK format was developed as a means to sideload KCR content into the iOS app for testing.

AZK is pretty much useless at this point. Most books that are properly coded will end up supporting enhanced typesetting and will be delivered to the iOS app in the newer KFX format. For those books sideloading AZK does not reflect how the book will actually appear in that app when published.
Indeed, I just purchased a book I published before and toc is shown on iOS though it wasn't shown when I transferred azk directly.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #24
ash-f

So is there a way to publish a book for only myself(author) on KDP in order to proof actual book?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #25
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash-f View Post
So is there a way to publish a book for only myself(author) on KDP in order to proof actual book?
From what I've seen, you will find a lot of discussion of this kind of question in the Kindle forums here on MobileRead. It isn't fundamentally a Sigil problem. That said, I'm not a moderator; I'm only making a suggestion.

HTH
Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #26
ash-f

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
From what I've seen, you will find a lot of discussion of this kind of question in the Kindle forums here on MobileRead. It isn't fundamentally a Sigil problem. That said, I'm not a moderator; I'm only making a suggestion.

HTH
Albert
I see, thank you.