Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Blinking white dot above/left of cursor?

I've just upgraded to Calibre 4, and suddenly in the editor I see a blinking white dot at the top of the line containing the cursor. When the cursor is positioned in front of the first character pf the line, the dot is at the top left of the leftmost character in the (gray) line number column. As I move the cursor right, the dot moves right. It maintains the same distance from the cursor (so in a file with <1000 lines where the line number column is 3 chars wide, it is 3 chars left of the cursor; with files with >1000 lines it is 4 chars left of the cursor). It blinks at about 2Hz (faster than the cursor blink rate). It's only really noticeable on the gray background of the line number column, but it's a bit irritating, and I get multiple dots all flashing away as the cursor moves.

Same hardware/OS as before when I was running Calibre 3, so: Is this some artefact of the new Qt library I'm seeing, or what?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
No white dot here running Linux mint 19.2.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
I've just upgraded to Calibre 4, and suddenly in the editor I see a blinking white dot at the top of the line containing the cursor. When the cursor is positioned in front of the first character pf the line, the dot is at the top left of the leftmost character in the (gray) line number column. As I move the cursor right, the dot moves right. It maintains the same distance from the cursor (so in a file with <1000 lines where the line number column is 3 chars wide, it is 3 chars left of the cursor; with files with >1000 lines it is 4 chars left of the cursor). It blinks at about 2Hz (faster than the cursor blink rate). It's only really noticeable on the gray background of the line number column, but it's a bit irritating, and I get multiple dots all flashing away as the cursor moves.

Same hardware/OS as before when I was running Calibre 3, so: Is this some artefact of the new Qt library I'm seeing, or what?
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Looks like a bug in QT.
Sarmat89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
… Same hardware/OS as before when I was running Calibre 3…
Which is what ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I certainly have not added code to render white dots in the interface.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Which is what ?

BR
Win10, Calibre 64 bit.

I presume it's a Qt thing.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:12 AM   #7
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I certainly have not added code to render white dots in the interface.
No, I didn't think you had!

Where should I report Qt bugs? And is there any point, since they didn't fix other issues such as NBSPs at the start of an editor line making characters not show up in the display?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
bugreports.qt.io is the place and yeah they dont exactly have a stellar track record with bug fixing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Win10, Calibre 64 bit.

I presume it's a Qt thing.
It is a typical graphics adapter "thing" to get a flashing white dot adjacent to the cursor.

Set display scale to 100% and try changing everything you can, one at a time, in display settings (resolution, etc) and adapter settings (if any).

Maybe driver, but I doubt it.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
It is a typical graphics adapter "thing" to get a flashing white dot adjacent to the cursor.

Set display scale to 100% and try changing everything you can, one at a time, in display settings (resolution, etc) and adapter settings (if any).

Maybe driver, but I doubt it.
Driver unlikely, since the only thing that's changed is calibre 3 -> calibre 4 (and thus new Qt library).