Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #1
hawkeyefxr
hawkeyefxr began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei MediaPad T3 8 Inch 16GB Tablet
Cool reader

Hope this has not been asked before. I have just started to use Cool Reader, great little app with lots of features.
My question is how do i get it to display upper and lower case text, everything is in upper case?

cheers
hawkeyefxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyefxr View Post
Hope this has not been asked before. I have just started to use Cool Reader, great little app with lots of features.
My question is how do i get it to display upper and lower case text, everything is in upper case?

cheers
You dump Cool Reader for an app that actually works. From what I've read, some people say that the Pocketbook Reader app works well for Android. Cool Reader, meh!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Before dumping things open your document with Sigil (I'm asumming it is an epub) and check that the xhtml isn't all uppercase.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just installed Cool Reader on my phone. I've been meaning to try it out anyway. I loaded a few books and took a look and I get upper and lower case just fine. I didn't have to do anything to get it. It was just there.

You might want to check your book as Pazos says or see if you've changed something in it to cause it to just show upper case.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
There is regular Cool Reader, and Cool Reader GL. Very similar, but not the exact same features. Cool Reader GL seems to have less settings and customizability.

Perhaps the all-uppercase is coded in the CSS.

Regular Cool Reader has a setting where you can can choose to ignore the book's built-in CSS. Cool Reader GL doesn't seem to have this option (not that I could find).

I was just testing the two app versions this morning, using the same epub file. On regular Cool Reader I could change to the favored font, font size, margins, etc. On Cool Reader GL, no matter how I tried, I couldn't change any of that, and could find no options to override the CSS.
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You dump Cool Reader for an app that actually works. From what I've read, some people say that the Pocketbook Reader app works well for Android. Cool Reader, meh!
That's a little harsh JS. Have you ever used Coolreader? I have and it is very good in general, except that IMO the menu system is not great (a common problem) and it does not allow table of contents to be clicked, which I find very odd. But it's open source and volunteers have done a lot of work to make it available free of charge.

Regarding the OP's problem, it's probably the book, not Coolreader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
That's a little harsh JS. Have you ever used Coolreader? I have and it is very good in general, except that IMO the menu system is not great (a common problem) and it does not allow table of contents to be clicked, which I find very odd. But it's open source and volunteers have done a lot of work to make it available free of charge.

Regarding the OP's problem, it's probably the book, not Coolreader.
KOReader might work better on Android.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was just playing around with Cool Reader and I like it. Well, I almost like it. It has the features I care about but I wasn't able to make one of them work: the reversed text. I like reading with white text on a black screen and it offers control over text and background color but I can't get the text to be white. I've tried day and night mode but the text stays black no matter what color I set for it. I can change the background easily enough but without white text that doesn't work for me.

I read mostly on my phone using Moon+ and I don't plan to change that but I would like a second reader on my phone for browsing books and not setting a new starting place and this is almost ideal if I could just get that to work.

I've been looking at a number of different readers for this and quite a few are okay but this is the closest I've found to doing the job Moon+ does for me.

By the way it does have a table of contents. It has just about everything. It even scrolls, which is how I like to read.

Barry
Old 07-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I got nightmode to work on coolreader.

Alreader has this feature. It continues to be my go to reader on Android.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I was just playing around with Cool Reader and I like it. Well, I almost like it. It has the features I care about but I wasn't able to make one of them work: the reversed text. I like reading with white text on a black screen and it offers control over text and background color but I can't get the text to be white.

Barry
For white text on a black background:
- Go into Settings, click the page icon (the one with the folded corner.)
- Ensure "Night mode" is unchecked (assuming you want white text/dark background as your default Day mode.)
- For white text, tap "Text color", then move all sliders except the bottom one, to the right.
- For black background, tap "Background color", then move all sliders, except the bottom one, to the left.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard

Thanks, VelvetElvis. That's pretty much what I did. Later, after I posted I installed it on another identical phone and it worked just fine. I spent a little time trying to figure out why it didn't work on the first one but finally gave up. When I read your post just now I took another look and found the problem.

Everything in the Page settings was just as you had said but in the Aa settings tab there's a text color option and that was set to black. I'm not sure if I did that or it was the default but it seems to override the settings on the Page tab. I might have found that first and set it, causing the problem myself. Anyway now it's working just fine.

I'm going to play with this a bit and see if it turns out to be the second reading app I want. So far it's looking good.

Barry
Old 08-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

CoolReader is not cool.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #13
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

I'm going to play with this a bit and see if it turns out to be the second reading app I want. So far it's looking good.

Barry
I used CoolReader for several years, and supported the author, but it no longer functions properly with Calibre Companion, which I also use. In short trying to open a book with CoolReader from within Calibre Companion fails, and the author, despite being aware of the issue, has so far done nothing to resolve it. All other reader apps I've used work without issue.

I believe the Calibre Companion developers could also provide a workaround for this, but since most other readers don't require it, they aren't bothering to do so.

If it ever gets fixed, I may migrate back to CR, but for now I've moved on.

Cheers!
Old 08-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
CoolReader is not cool.
You make a compelling argument, but could you add a few more facts to support your claim?

What, specifically, do you take issue with?
Old 08-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #15
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
I like Cool Reader better than any other reading app. It's on all of my devices. I've tried AlReader, FB Reader, Moon Reader. The file/library function sucks a bit on Cool Reader, but the reading experience is tweakable and customizable.

I agree with some other posters, that the ebook file is the problem, not the reader.

So, OP, have you made any progress?
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote