Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #1
Lafisrap
Lafisrap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Reader
Exclamation ebook-convert changes width of pdf pdf-odd-even-offset and pdf-add-toc used both

Executing

Code:
echo "# This is a test" > test.md
ebook-convert test.md test.pdf --custom-size 4.724x7.48 --pdf-odd-even-offset 10
--pdf-add-toc --level1-toc //h:h1
results in a test.pdf having a width of 4.54.

Code:
ebook-convert test.md test.pdf --custom-size 4.724x7.48 --pdf-odd-even-offset 0
--pdf-add-toc --level1-toc //h:h1
or

Code:
ebook-convert test.md test.pdf --custom-size 4.724x7.48 --pdf-odd-even-offset 10
results in a with of 4.71.

Not exact though, but very much closer to the specified width.

1. First is a bug I guess.
2. Question: Why can't it be exact? (I need this to upload a book to bod.de)
Lafisrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. odd-even offsets are implemented by adding to margins, so subtract that size from the custom size you specify. calibre could of course do so itself, and probably should, open a bug report for it.

2. No clue, calibre simply passes page size to chromium, the rest is up to it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually regarding (2), this will make it a bit better https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...c26188df85ed33

however you will never get exact sizes unles syou specify the sizes in pts, as that is the unit used by PDF.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:57 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

And I looked at 1 as well. I was misremembering. It does not change page sizes, it changes the crop box on each page.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:43 AM   #5
Lafisrap
Lafisrap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually regarding (2), this will make it a bit better https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...c26188df85ed33
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
however you will never get exact sizes unles syou specify the sizes in pts, as that is the unit used by PDF.
I will change this in my app ...
Lafisrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
markdown pdf md width