Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
hi! i'm from Singapore, is this product possible to use in Singapore?

hello, i'm a very keen admirer of the PRS-900 and like it a lot. i love in Singapore and have problem looking for an ebook reader because of the limited range of ebook reader. i'm currently considering PRS-900, nook, iliad, or bebook neo. anyone can help me?
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Hi,

except for the 3G PRS-900 can be used anywhere. The problem maybe to get one as it's only sold in the U.S. But you may use usunlocked.com to buy directly at SonyStyle.com and get it shipped to singapure. You may have already seen some threads about PRS-900, features and uslocked here.

I live in Germany and bought one through eBay. It works fine except for 3G but that's ok for me.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
hi nelson, i'm from spore too. i have the prs300 and nook and have just ordered the irex. of course it can be used in spore. you need to know how to get around the restrictions to order books. and of course no local warranty. check out the sony thread in hardwarezone.com.sg. good luck with your decision!
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Nelson. Hope you're soon able to make a choice from advice here. Check out the *Which One Should I Buy?* thread. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
rosco
rosco
rosco doesn't litterrosco doesn't litter

Device: sony prs 900/jtech 700
Hi, I bought a 900 through the mail into Australia. I buy my ebooks from all the sites. The only problem is that some are for sale only in usa. You need an american address and visa or a mate to buy them for you.
The unit works fine I hav e a jointech 100 also but that only works on mobipocket so now I cover all the forms.
rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

thanks for all the replies and comments. means i'll have no problem getting an e reader i want?

i would like to ask, can the wifi used for web browsing? like facebook or something? is there one that can listen to music on the go?

any ereader you guys recommend?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

i read that sony prs-900 wireless cant be used for web browsing, only buying of books. is it true?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Yes,
the 3G option is for Sony Store access only. Main reason may be that there is no browser application inside the firmware. It's the same as for other reader where 3G is used for store access only. There are some rumors that for one or the other ereader there will be some browser in the future.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Yes,
the 3G option is for Sony Store access only. Main reason may be that there is no browser application inside the firmware. It's the same as for other reader where 3G is used for store access only. There are some rumors that for one or the other ereader there will be some browser in the future.
i see.. thanks for the reply. but i thought nook and bebook neo can use for web browsing?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I bought mine on ebay. But you may have to search the US ebay specially.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
rosco
rosco
rosco doesn't litterrosco doesn't litter

Device: sony prs 900/jtech 700
The ebook works any where in the world. The only problem is that you cant access the sony store from the ebook. Bought mine from us ebay
When you buy the ebook connect to your computer and it will auto setup the sony reader program. You can download from any store I use diesel,ebook.com,booksonboard,ebookmall, and have sent some money to an American via paypal to get a sony gift cert to download from sony.
When i register for these sites I use an American address as a lot of them wont let you download all the books.
My other reader uses mobi pocket - jteck 100 from HongKong.
rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #12
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

If you ship it via vpost, you can simply order it from amazon .. I got my PRS-900 that way.
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast
Mel_Putra is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco View Post
When i register for these sites I use an American address as a lot of them wont let you download all the books.
My other reader uses mobi pocket - jteck 100 from HongKong.
Hi Rosco,

I will be buying my PRS-300 when I go over to US in Aug. And I have set up OpenVPN in my pc to hide my IP address. However, I know that the other hurdle in buying ebooks is my non-US credit card. How do I overcome this issue? If I register using a US address (for my M'sian credit card) will that be enough or will they still check on that and discover that my card is not US based?

Thanks,
Mel
Mel_Putra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #14
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
hi mel - when i buy at sony's store, i dont use alwaysvpn or hotspotshield. but i use a card where i changed the billing address to a US address. Not all cards will allow this. I dont think the sony store tracks the ip address... But you dont even need a US billing address for stores like kobobooks.
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast
Mel_Putra is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-300
Hi Jen,

U mean when u buy the ebooks or the gift voucher from Sony? So u mean if our credit card allows us to change the country field then buying from Sony is possible? So we need to try and see whether changing the country field works for our cards or not?
Mel_Putra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-900, singapore, sony