Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayamauro View Post
The thing is that the 8GB does work on my GPS, but my reader is not taking it.

It's the WRONG CARD. Read the 505 specs: 2G MAX!

See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14388
or on the Sony Site.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-23-2009 at 05:47 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #17
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

It's the WRONG CARD. Read the 505 specs: 2G MAX!
The V1.1 firmware added "Support for SDHC memory cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB", so it's not quite that straighforward.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
The V1.1 firmware added "Support for SDHC memory cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB", so it's not quite that straighforward.

Well, the OP clearly demonstrated that whatever card it is, it doesn't work.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #19
wayamauro
Connoisseur
wayamauro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KindleDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I'd suggest that for the moment, you don't use any SD card with the reader and just use it's internal memory. That will mean that there's no chance of running into any issues caused by the SD card and secondly, you'll probably find that there's no day-to-day need to use a card!

They're useful if you must have all your books to hand, but the reader doesn't do all that well[1] once you go over a few hundred books, which you can normally[2] get on the internal memory.

/Gwyn
[1] The device slows down when indexing after a USB disconnect/SD card insertion, plus the index pages only show 10 titles at a time, so you end up having to page through them a lot.
[2] Normal books are typically only around 1/2 a MB or so so unless you're into graphic novels, you probably will have no need for a card for a while.
You are right, I was just trying to see the features of the reader. In fact it stopped working after trying to transfer to that SD card without sucess, in and out of the Sony Library, so maybe it drained it all. I am glad that the 2GB card worked, something may be wrong with the other one, I hope. In fact yeah, I do not like having many books in it, the most 5 or so, honestly, so all I need is the internal memory. But you know, I was thinking (I thought it would make sense) that maybe the reader would go much faster if the internal memory was clean, that meaning that by putting a SD card in it, I would leave the internal memory free of stuff to just "work" its OS.
Thanks Gwyn.
wayamauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #20
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well, the OP clearly demonstrated that whatever card it is, it doesn't work.
Yeah I thought that the firmware did fix that!
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #21
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try reformatting the card with SD Formatter. For some cards Windows' format is not 100% correct and it may appear to work in some cases and fail in others. SD Formatter usually fixes everything, unless the card is physically bad.
And yes, the 1.1 and above firmware should work with SDHC cards (4GB and above).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #22
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Try reformatting the card with SD Formatter. For some cards Windows' format is not 100% correct and it may appear to work in some cases and fail in others. SD Formatter usually fixes everything, unless the card is physically bad.
And yes, the 1.1 and above firmware should work with SDHC cards (4GB and above).
Thanks I will give it a try