Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #16
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Tor (US) is the only major imprint I know of that does.
Had to look them up. I don't read sci fi and fantasy so wasn't familiar with them.

Wish we could buy books like we can music. Even though I buy music also from amazon and I don't have any ithingies, those are mp3 and I can put them where I want. They are mine. I can put them in pretty much any service and use the convenience of those services. Echo, etc.

I like the convenience of amazon and integration of store, goodreads, etc and that only works with purchased items. But of course I can't read them with whatever I want if I needed to. Well up to now I can, but only because there are folks around that make thingies and helpful people that help me to use those thingies.

I am a bit concerned about my future as a ebook reader.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post

Not in the least. Why should it? I tend to buy where things are cheapest and easiest. If worse comes to worse, I will just keep one of my older kindles registered. Or should I say I would if I actually cared about formats. Unless it is a special book, I tend to only read it once anyway.
I figure my attitude is the same as most people that own kindles.

Note: you are really preaching to the choir here. The only thing most people will care about is can I read the book I just bought.
Quote:

Seriously, on shopping and in most of life, always do what you think is best for you.
Just don't get cranky when 90% of the people do something different.
So it won't affect you; good for you and I'm not being snarky. But it will affect some, those who don't have a Kindle or only have newer ones. Why dismiss their concerns as being cranky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I used to buy from both Kobo and Amazon but I've decided to stop buying ebooks from Amazon as of now. I figure I may as well get used to it, unless friends of Alf can work their magic.

The test of willpower will come if there's a new title I want that Kobo don't have. Will I be strong enough to just read something else?
Yes to both of these points. If there's a book I want to read right away and it's much cheaper at Amazon or they're the only purveyor, it won't kill me to read on an app. But otherwise? I'm certainly not going to spend good money on an ancient device just so Amazon can get more of my custom.

The bottom line, though, is that I don't really care. Amazon's about to make it sufficiently harder for me to read Kindle books than is worth the effort. So it goes. It's neither a right nor a necessity and I'll get along.

Last edited by issybird; 01-09-2017 at 03:14 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
So it won't affect you; good for you and I'm not being snarky. But it will affect some, those who don't have a Kindle or only have newer ones. Why dismiss their concerns as being cranky?

Yes to both of these points. If there's a book I want to read right away and it's much cheaper at Amazon or they're the only purveyor, it won't kill me to read on an app. But otherwise? I'm certainly not going to spend good money on an ancient device just do Amazon can get more of my custom.

The bottom line, though, is that I don't really care. Amazon's about to make it sufficiently harder for me to read Kindle books than is worth the effort. So it goes. It's neither a right not a necessity and I'll get along.
Wasn't dismissing their concerns as cranky. Was just saying don't get cranky and tell others what they should do.
If they want to change their habits fine by me, but don't be telling others that they should change their habits because person A thought they were being used or abused or couldn't do what they wanted.

Oh and I am curious too, how many would change their habits after all the lip service.

I would also be very curious if this did happen, what the value of older kindles would jump to.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If there's a book I want to read right away and it's much cheaper at Amazon or they're the only purveyor, it won't kill me to read on an app.
It occurs to me that it may continue to be possible to read KFX books via the Kindle app on an open Android ereader. I'm not sure how the KFX files would be stored on the device, but I think it should work. Of course that's only any use if one wants to go the open Android route.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-09-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #20
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Oh and I am curious too, how many would change their habits after all the lip service.
I think the big change would come once the old version of K2PC becomes non-operational and users are forced to use the KFX only version. I'm not sure how long the overlap period lasts.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
It occurs to me that it may continue to be possible to read KFX books via the Kindle app on an open Android ereader. I'm not sure how the KFX files would be stored on the device, but I think it should work. Of course that's only any use if one wants to go the open Android route.
Yes. Not owning a Kindle eink doesn't stop you from buying Amazon ebooks. I've had some KFX titles delivered to my Android phone but as I find the Kindle for Android app inferior in every way that matters to me, I choose not to.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #22
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, new versions of K2PC eventually become obligatory. One cannot run the older version. Is this correct?
I will look at my options at that time.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #23
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've had my Amazon account threatened in the past, some on here may remember my fear and panic then. I still buy from Amazon and touch wood everything is now okay but I wouldn't be happy with buying ebooks I couldn't liberate. If that really did happen, and the new format is the only download option, then I would buy from Kobo and/or join KU. I'm not paying money to buy ebooks that I only have access to while I have an Amazon account.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, new versions of K2PC eventually become obligatory. One cannot run the older version. Is this correct?
Tonight when I went into my Mac KFPC I was shown an update (to 1.17.1) the option was still there to skip that version and not be reminded again. As for the future who knows.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Tor (US) is the only major imprint I know of that does.
But even though Tor is DRM free, if you get stuck with a KFX version, there's nothing you can do to liberate it from being KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #26
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But even though Tor is DRM free, if you get stuck with a KFX version, there's nothing you can do to liberate it from being KFX.
Yes indeed, which sucks
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes indeed, which sucks
Looks like sales of ePub will be going up as sales of KFX drops.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #28
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
If only that were true, Amazon might rethink the horrible direction their ebook strategy is going. Do you think there are enough people who'll care? Sadly, I'm not sure there are.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #29
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
I guess for those that have options buying epubs. Those that didn't own kindles and read on other things and tablets. I only own kindles so I can't buy epubs. Don't really want to either as I would have the same drm issue, just a totally different one. And isn't that only a matter of time also with a new ADE version?

Really though, the majority of amazon kindle customers have no clue nor do they care about epubs, or drm or anything of such matters. They just buy the books and read.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #30
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I've had my Amazon account threatened in the past, some on here may remember my fear and panic then. I still buy from Amazon and touch wood everything is now okay but I wouldn't be happy with buying ebooks I couldn't liberate. If that really did happen, and the new format is the only download option, then I would buy from Kobo and/or join KU. I'm not paying money to buy ebooks that I only have access to while I have an Amazon account.
I found it interesting that you would give Amazon $10 or so a month to borrow books but not buy books from them.
And yes I do remember your posts.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote