Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #31
silencer
silencer began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
You did a wonderful job, the only problem I see is 80 files cannot be copied or moved due to being over the character limit for names. They delete ok, but they had to be left out of my final copy.
silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #32
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Yes, the script flaked out on the filename once in a blue moon. And of course my filesystem is JFS and not NTFS which is why I hadn't caught it. I found most of them, but on 11,000 files...

Anyway, have fun with it. 89 complete copies distributed, and over 85 Gb transferred on my end. Bittorrent rocks as a distribution mechanism (in traditional one-on-one transfer I would have transferred over 658,6 Gb to get 89 distributed copies out there)
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2008, 03:42 AM   #33
silencer
silencer began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
It really is amazing.
The formatting is perfect, very readable.
I think this one release may swing a lot of people to the Sony reader and BBeb format.
silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #34
chuckSF
chuckSF began at the beginning.

Device: deciding between Sony & Kindle
How do I download just one of the 32 .rar files without re-downloading the entire torrent?

Thanks
chuckSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckSF View Post
How do I download just one of the 32 .rar files without re-downloading the entire torrent?

Thanks
Just do a download like you did before. it will check the files you have and anything not the same or missing will be redownloaded. of course, you have to point the torrent to the exact same place you did originally.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #36
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
or if you are using something like uTorrent it allows you to download just one or a few of the files that are in a torrent, if you know which ones you want.

in uTorrent just un tick the ones you don't want to download. I believe most other torrent clients allow you to do something similar.

Problems only occur when the whole torrent is in one single file. In case like that pointing it towards the previously downloaded files does help a lot.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #37
angelaruk
angelaruk began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
hi folks, I'm very new here and think I've stumbled across a foreign language thread. Has anyone got the patience to explain "torrent" to me and guide me through downloading this mammoth collection - I'm waiting for my Sony PRS505 to arrive and am currenlty sourcing as many books as I can in readiness. This collection sounds like it will do it all in one go - but I have no idea what half the thread is talking about!

(sorry to be such a dunce - I'm a reader not a techie!)
angelaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #38
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

General description of bittorrent protocol. About.com help file on using bittorrent. Quick-start guide. Another HOWTO. Huge FAQ-file.

Read that, and you'll be a bittorrent-techie in no time

Oh, and once you are up to date and have the client installed, you will want to grab the torrentfile itself. NOTE TO MODS - as we have established earlier in this thread I didn't grab any of the still-in-copyright works. NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE: depending on the copyright laws in your country, some of these works may still be in copyright. In general, if your country has life+70 copyright you should be fine.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-19-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #39
angelaruk
angelaruk began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
eek - thanks! I need a week at home now to read, digest and try out the guidance!
angelaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #40
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
Hmmm... I have downloaded the 1st .rar file and Winzip tells me it can't read the headers and comes up blank. I have used Bitorrent many times before as well as Winzip on .rar files so I am wondering what is amiss here? Any suggestions?
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #41
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

I didn't know winzip does .rar too, but either your download was corrupted in some way or something else went wrong. You could try installing tugzip and opening the archive again, or re-download the file.

I archived the files on my linux box but have since successfully opened on a windows machine.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #42
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use Winrar or 7-Zip for rar files. I really doubt Winzip can handle them.
Edit: I take that back, apparently RAR support was added in the version 11.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #43
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
chuckSF, your disk drive has bad clusters - files don't. I just extracted everything and it works fine. It sounds like the disk utility fixed your drive by destroying some information.

The last file should be 59,1 Mb. I recommend you re-download at least the last two files and find out whether part 11 was indeed corrupted and re-download that, too.
Must say is quite a collection....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
or if you are using something like uTorrent it allows you to download just one or a few of the files that are in a torrent, if you know which ones you want.

in uTorrent just un tick the ones you don't want to download. I believe most other torrent clients allow you to do something similar.

Problems only occur when the whole torrent is in one single file. In case like that pointing it towards the previously downloaded files does help a lot.
The torrent was poorly made. It was made as a bunch of RAR files. So to get any specific books, you have to download the entire thing. I did try to get the torrent to be remade, but it seems that the OP didn't want to do so. Could have had the original torrent deleted and a new one made without the RAR files. RAR files in a torrent.. just plain wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #45
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The torrent was poorly made. It was made as a bunch of RAR files. So to get any specific books, you have to download the entire thing. I did try to get the torrent to be remade, but it seems that the OP didn't want to do so. Could have had the original torrent deleted and a new one made without the RAR files. RAR files in a torrent.. just plain wrong.
Yes John, you don't like rar files, and whatever you don't like must plainly be wrong. We've been over this.